Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

Self Promotion Tips > Here, this is a little different

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William Cheek (william_cheek) | 2 comments Yes, I have written a book, and yes, I certainly hope more people read it.

Conflict of interest disclosed. More in the spirit of community and peer support than self-promotion, I've started a group called Don't "Genre" Me, with the intent not of spewing venom at the word "genre" but of getting together some Goodreads authors who have write books that they feel ought to be identified as interpretive literature prior to any genre tag. And seeing whether we can help each other out.

1. Anyone here find this of interest?

2. Anyone have a tip on how I might reach any authors elsewhere on Goodreads who might find this of interest? I do seem to have that issue of having very few friends...but I'd be yours! ;)

message 2: by J. (new)

J. Guevara (jguevara) | 64 comments There. I sent request. I'll check out your genre topic, although I don't think authors have a problem with it. I use one I made up -- Imaginative Realism. It's fiction that makes one ask, 'Is this really fiction?'
Like '...The Twain Shall Meet'. Yes, it's fiction, but the characters, places and events are not. So I'm stuck. if I called it non-fiction i'd be locked up for my own protection. LOL
Maybe 'Imaginative Realism' will catch on. There's a lot of fiction that would fit in that category, no?

j guevara
wsww.jguevaranovels.com

Oh, forgot. there should be a genre called CFI (Cure For Insomnia) Usually found on best seller lists. rotf

message 3: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (bitsyblingbooks) j wrote: "There. I sent request. I'll check out your genre topic, although I don't think authors have a problem with it. I use one I made up -- Imaginative Realism. It's fiction that makes one ask, 'Is ..."

I agree with the CFI list!

message 4: by William (new)

William Cheek (william_cheek) | 2 comments CFI...haha, I like it.

Yeah, I'm not sure what other authors think about genres. I wouldn't call it a "problem", really.

I'm just testing out an alternative approach. For example, take the genre "mystery". Say I pick two "mysteries" off the shelf at random: one might be written by an author who reads a lot of mysteries and decided one day "I want to give this a shot!", and the other might be written by an author who's out to tackle the deep themes in life, and just so happened to find a "mystery" useful for doing so.

I'm interested in finding Goodreads authors who would feel more kinship with the second author than the first, regardless of genre label.

"Imaginative Realism" sounds pretty good to me. Everything's real...except the story!

message 5: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Corliss (mcorliss72028) | 29 comments I love that!!! Imaginative Realism describes my book perfectly. Can I use it?

message 6: by Dr (new)

Dr | 134 comments Marilyn,
I sent you an invitation to join Paradise Readers where you can post your book for free. We are a page dedicated to increasing the reading habits of young people and several of the authors there well help you with ideas. We don't advertise in the margin, but you can talk all you want to about your book and tell our group where it can be purchased.
http://paradisereaders.ning.com/
Dr Robert E McGinnis

Others are welcome to apply, let us know what kind of book you have and if it fits, you are in. We don't do cursing, (naughty words) sexual references etc. We are a place for clean, sincere, books for families. There are also real life stories and if they are done with good taste (in our judgement) they are also welcome. Take a look and if you like it, come on in.

message 7: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Corliss (mcorliss72028) | 29 comments Thank you. I will check it out.