The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 30.2 (Cheryl TX's Task - A Texas-Sized Task)

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 26, 2010 08:07PM) (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments 30.2 - Cheryl TX's Task - A Texas-Sized Task
A. Read one book from 2009-2010 Texas Bluebonnet Award List OR the 2010-2011 Texas Bluebonnet Award List Part 2
AND
B. Read one book from this year's Texas Lone Star Reading List

Each book must be at least 100 pages or can be combined in a category to make 100 pages.

If you need suggestions OR have suggestions for books to read for this task post them here.

message 2: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 17, 2010 01:02PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Cheryl - LOVE the task! My libraries are SURE to carry multiple copies of all of these books (being in Texas, and all...)! YAY!

I think I'm going to read Alvin Ho Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (HILARIOUS title!) and The Maze Runner, which is already on my TBR...

message 3: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Sara, I'm also going to do "The Maze Runner" - I'm psyched to find a place for it here! (and also that my library finally got it in stock!)

message 4: by Felina (new)

Felina YAY Graceling!

message 5: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Graceling was really good!

message 7: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments "Each book must be at least 100 pages or can be combined in a category to make 100 pages."

I think that means that you could read 2 books from the Bluebonnet list to get a total of 100 pages... So if you wanted to read Alice, you'd just read another one that was at least 52 pages... ;)

message 8: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Sara ♥ wrote: ""Each book must be at least 100 pages or can be combined in a category to make 100 pages."

I think that means that you could read 2 books from the Bluebonnet list to get a total of 100 pages... S..."

Thanks. I've already read the book; was just commenting.

message 9: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments I'm in TX too, so hopefully my library will have some of these as well (more than one copy I hope!)! YAY

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane | 742 comments I was hoping these would be Texas sized lists...

message 11: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Can I read Surprises According to Henry - Betty G. Birney
AND
B. Graceling - Kirstin Cashore

message 12: by Kayleen (new)

Kayleen (jegka) | 39 comments Diane wrote: "I was hoping these would be Texas sized lists..."

I agree. I'm hoping my daughter can find something off this list at school.

message 13: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Oh, good call! School library!

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Someone Named Eva looks good. That was on the first list. It was easy to find a book off the second list, but the first list was hard.

message 15: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments Diane wrote: "I was hoping these would be Texas sized lists..."

yeah the lists are abit short, and there are no descriptions. I think I'm going to read Savvy and Maze Runner. hopefully they are loong enough and good! Savvy looked pretty good, but i'm not sure what maze runner is about

message 16: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1921 comments The only book from either list in my library (I checked the catalog) is Graceling . A couple of the others from the lone star list were at other branches but none of the bluebonnet books. I don't have access to a school library and don't know where I could get any of them in this corner of the world.

message 17: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Coralie wrote: "The only book from either list in my library (I checked the catalog) is Graceling . A couple of the others from the lone star list were at other branches but none of the bluebonnet b..."

Surprises According to Humphrey is 152 pages if thats any help ladies x

message 18: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Coralie wrote: "The only book from either list in my library (I checked the catalog) is Graceling . A couple of the others from the lone star list were at other branches but none of the bluebonnet b..."

I have the same problem Coralie - except I have already read Graceling, and only like 3 weeks ago...

message 19: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments My MIL gave me a copy of When You Reach Me, so I'll read that for Part B. I've heard really good things about it.

For Part A. I'll probably read Piper Reed: Navy Brat out loud to my girls (we own it).

message 20: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Maybe try a local school library, Coralie? You could always call and explain your case that the public library doesn't have it and you'd like to finish this reading challenge. They may let you read it but only in the library (not checked-out). If it was 100 pages that could be done quickly. Or they may let you check it out. Who knows?

message 21: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Or um go to the big book store and snuggle up in a chair.

message 22: by Asho (new)

Asho | 189 comments On the Blue Bonnet one, there's a link to download an annotated master list that describes all of the books, for those of you saying you can't figure out what the books are about.
I love the titles of some of these books!

message 23: by Kayleen (new)

Kayleen (jegka) | 39 comments Coralie wrote: "The only book from either list in my library (I checked the catalog) is Graceling . A couple of the others from the lone star list were at other branches but none of the bluebonnet b..."

Does your local library have a loaner program? You should be able to ask them to borrow something from another library for you.

message 24: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 1921 comments My local library (in Melbourne CBD) doesn't have much of a children's section. I checked the catalogs of libraries in the nearby councils and I've had much better luck. I still have library cards for a couple of them from when we used to live a bit further from the city so I'm all sorted now.

message 25: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Tracey wrote: "Diane wrote: "I was hoping these would be Texas sized lists..."

yeah the lists are abit short, and there are no descriptions. I think I'm going to read Savvy and Maze Runner. hopefully they are ..."
I'm reading these also -- both are over 300 pages, so you are safe!

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments Diane wrote I was hoping these would be Texas sized lists...

Yeah this task is pretty limited...

message 27: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments For the Blue Bonnet awards I had initially posted the 2009-2010 list because it was the most current I found at the time put since then a 2010-2011 list has come up and I asked Cheryl what she wanted to do...she said that books from either the 2009-10 or 2010-11 list are acceptable which gives a few more choices.

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela | 370 comments Thanks!! This is great news :)

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (pandoraphoebesmom) | 1378 comments I wanted to let everyone know that since more players have finished the challenge this task is now worth 30 points!

message 30: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Donna Jo wrote: "What to Do about Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy! is a neat book, but it is only 48 pages."

You would need to add another short book to make at least 100 pages Donna Jo

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Diane wrote: "I was hoping these would be Texas sized lists..."

I guess I feel really lucky because our libraries in Fort Worth have a separate section just for these two awards.

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Can I read Surprises According to Henry - Betty G. Birney
AND
B. Graceling - Kirstin Cashore
"

Sure Fiona I will take those

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Cait wrote: "My MIL gave me a copy of When You Reach Me, so I'll read that for Part B. I've heard really good things about it.

For Part A. I'll probably read [book:Piper Reed: Navy Brat|222505..."

When You Reach Me was an excellent book!!

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Coralie wrote: "My local library (in Melbourne CBD) doesn't have much of a children's section. I checked the catalogs of libraries in the nearby councils and I've had much better luck. I still have library cards f..."

that is great news

message 35: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Cheryl, I am going really grateful for this task. Initially I was a bit scared because there were so few choices and I didn't know any of the books off the one list... then I started reading Someone Named Eva and I had to force myself to stop when I got to the half-way mark. It is a remarkable story. A side of WWII that I had never looked at (and I went through five years when I was obsessed with anything to do with WWII). THANK YOU for making me discover this book! And to anyone who doesn't know which book to pick from that one list... I recommend this book!

message 36: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Kathryn wrote: "Cheryl, I am going really grateful for this task. Initially I was a bit scared because there were so few choices and I didn't know any of the books off the one list... then I started reading [book:..."

I am so glad you think this is fun. I have not started Eva's story yet but am getting geared up. THanks for your support.

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1028 comments Cheryl wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Cheryl, I am going really grateful for this task. Initially I was a bit scared because there were so few choices and I didn't know any of the books off the one list... then I starte..."

I finished Eva a couple nights ago and I loved it. It is a book I am going to look for and buy. I am sure I never would have found that book without this task. That is what I love about seasonal challenges. You find books that you never would have picked up and then you find out how much you love them. You will have to let me know what you think about it!

message 38: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Thanks for the update, Kathryn. I have Eva on my list!

message 39: by Katy (new)

Katy | 627 comments If anyone's searching for a book for the 2nd list, I just finished The Maze Runner and it was REALLY good. Slow start but then it got addictive! I am now in great mental pain because the sequel doesn't come out until October!

message 40: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments I just finished Savvy, and it was a great book. well deserving of Newbery Honor status, but not at all preachy or difficult to follow. Highly recommended.

message 41: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Kathryn wrote: "Cheryl wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Cheryl, I am going really grateful for this task. Initially I was a bit scared because there were so few choices and I didn't know any of the books off the one list....."

I have to say that I loved Someone Named Eva. I read it all in one sitting because I had to know what the Nazis weregoing to do next. I plan to read The Maze Runner for the other partof this.

message 42: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Cindy wrote: "I just finished Savvy, and it was a great book. well deserving of Newbery Honor status, but not at all preachy or difficult to follow. Highly recommended."

Thanks Cindy I am going to look for Savvy now.

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Sara ♥ wrote: "I read Alvin Ho Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things yesterday. REALLY cute!"

Thanks for the comment - I am going to read all of these books since y'all are telling me how good they are.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (lambfox) | 187 comments There are links to the annotated versions of these lists on the pages the task links to--helpful, since none of these books were familiar to me.

message 46: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Rachel wrote: "There are links to the annotated versions of these lists on the pages the task links to--helpful, since none of these books were familiar to me."

Rachel Let me know if you need some help or a suggestion.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.