Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Same universe and sort of sequel incorrectly labeled as second book in series

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 22 comments If you look at AN Earthly Crown, http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...

it takes place in the same universe as Jaran (another book by the same author) but is really the first book in a separate trilogy. Should it be listed as Jaran #2 or as in the title of the book "the Sword of Heaven book One".

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Feb 16, 2010 08:31PM) (new)

rivka | 42444 comments Mod
Everything I can find lists 4 books in the Jaran series; the author's site is woefully lacking any information either way.

message 3: by Caroline (last edited Feb 17, 2010 06:35PM) (new)

Caroline | 58 comments One of her recent blog posts about the Jaran series indicates that An Earthly Crown as #2 in the Jaran books:

http://kateelliott.livejournal.com/11...

Copy-paste for the link-phobic:

There are (somewhat confusingly) four published Jaran books, although I consider these to in fact compromise three actual novels: Jaran (#1), The Sword of Heaven** (published in two parts: An Earthly Crown and His Conquering Sword), and The Law of Becoming (published as Jaran #4 because it is the fourth “volume” although it is actually the third novel).

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments *snort* This reminds me of a passage on Steven Brust's website about his Viscount of Adrilanka trilogy.

This is a good place to explain that The Viscount of Adrilankha is not a trilogy, it is a three volume novel. That is, it should be thought of as a single book. The Khaavren Romances are, in fact, a trilogy, of which Viscout is the third novel. Therefore, these five books are clearly seen to be a triolgy consisting two one-part novels and one three-part novel. Each part consists of two "books." Therefore, chapter four of book two of part three of the third book is easily seen to be chapter fifty two of the third novel, or chapter one hundred and twenty of....

Okay, to hell with it. Call it a trilogy. I don't care.

Janny Wurts' Wars of Light & Shadow is similarly convoluted.

message 5: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 649 comments If you list "An Earthly Crown" and "His Conquering Sword" as a separate series, you end up with just "Jaran" being book one of the Jaran series and "The Law of Becoming" as book four with no book two or book three. So really, it makes sense that all four books be list as part of the Jaran series.