Terminalcoffee discussion

Help! I Need Help! > How to best go about this?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17319 comments Mod
I need to make a reading list for my interview portfolio. I have all these books I've read catalogued on GR, now I just need to figure out how to translate that to a word document.

message 2: by Sally, la reina (new)

You know what? This can be one of those threads that just sounded better in my mind than in actuality.

Nobody needs to comment 'cause there is no way to comment on this.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) You can go to My Books. Select all of your Read books, then go to (on the lower left part of the page) Tools > Export.

On that page you can export your list to a CSV (comma separated value) file in Excel.

From Excel you can paste the list into Word.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

YES! HOORAY!

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

But how do I select all of them without selecting everything on the page? One by one while holding down the shift key?

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt | 819 comments Are reading lists like the one you are making common in the education field? Could it effect your chances of getting the job if your list is "too postmoderny", etc. in the eyes of the people in charge?

Not trying to make you paranoid or anything, I just find this intriguing. I keep my reading to myself at work, as the uptight business dudes that I deal with would probably find such activity suspicious (for one nebulous reason or another).

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It exports all of you books to an excel file. You'll have to sort out you "to-read" books, I guess, and delete them. There doesn't seem to be a shelf indicator in the file, though. Bummer.

Are you familiar with Excel?

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

No, not at all. :(

Tad, I think they're more common and accepted in English Education. I want to demonstrate that I'm not only well-read, but that I read a wide variety of genres and will be knowledgeable about them.

Of course there are books I might take off the list, but I want to show more that I'm prolific. I think.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sally, do you want just author and title, or do you want ISBN numbers, too?

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It exports all of your books in one big list.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments Whoooaaa....erm...why do you have to do that?? It sounds wicked cool that you have to...but why??

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

I imagine just author and title, but if I have a spreadsheet I could put ISBNs on there too.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sally, if you message me your email, I'll email you an attachment of all your "read" books.

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11559 comments I exported mine & don't see where you'll have any trouble getting what you want. There's a column for "Exclusive Shelf" that should show you which ones you've read.

Select all of your spreadsheet data (except row 1, which is the headers) then, from the DATA menu, choose SORT. By sorting on the "Exclusive Shelf" column (for me it was "Q") you'll put all of your READ books together. Delete the others & you're good to go.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) There you go. Phil's got it.

message 16: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 17, 2010 07:38AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You're making a reading list for a portfolio? That's interesting.

I always try to sneak in a "Who are you favorite authors?" question into our interviews. You'd be shocked (or maybe not) at how many educators say "Oh, I really don't have time to read for pleasure." I don't want to hire those people.

message 17: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i made my 2009 reading list earlier this year and did it the hard way. wayyyyyy harder than this (TWSS) so i am glad to have this thread in case i want to do this again.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Me too Kevin, now to try to remember this for the end of the year again.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

RA, my methods teacher tells us that is why she got her first teaching job, over 500 other candidates. She was the only one who, when asked "what are you reading right now" had an answer. 499 others applying for an English teaching job said "I'm not reading anything right now."

I can't really imagine not reading anything right now. Sure I have dry spells, but that's when I'm riding high on nausea and writing a thesis.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i am always at least reading cereal boxes and bazooka joe comics