Fly Fish Literati discussion

Fly Fish Writing > What Are You Reading On The Fly?

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ron (new)

ron swegman (ronpiscator) | 154 comments Mod
Hello. Here is a thread to list, suggest, or otherwise comment upon the "book of angling" you are currently reading.

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike (fly_guy_brodie) | 4 comments I am currently enjoying A Good Life Wasted: or Twenty Years as a Fishing Guide by Dave Ames.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin | 19 comments How is that, Mike? I've looked at it a couple times in stores but never actually bought it.

message 4: by Mike (last edited Feb 17, 2010 09:26AM) (new)

Mike (fly_guy_brodie) | 4 comments Justin wrote: "How is that, Mike? I've looked at it a couple times in stores but never actually bought it."

It's a "lite" read with lots of humor. Not much real fishing, just life as a guide in Montana on a river called the Apikuni. The real Apikuni is a stream that flows eastward from the interior of Glacier National Park and is (I believe) a tributary of the Missouri. I don't think the river described in the book is actually this stream.

This is just fun winter reading. Each chapter is a vignette.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin | 19 comments Cool -- thanks.

message 6: by Scott (last edited Feb 17, 2010 12:21PM) (new)

Scott Carles (scottcarles) An Entirely Synthetic Fish by Anders Halverson. It's a great read with some interesting history in the why and how of US stocking practices past.I have a prelease copy, but it goes on sale March 4. There are also some excellent additional resources on Anders' website.

message 7: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Scott | 10 comments Scott wrote: "An Entirely Synthetic Fish by Anders Halverson. It's a great read with some interesting history in the why and how of US stocking practices past.I have a prelease copy, but it goes on sale March 4...."

Does this book dish any dirt on whirling disease?
Thanks,
Cam

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Carles (scottcarles) Cam, There is some interesting info in there about whirling disease and the response, or lack of it, to the disease. There is also some interesting info about Colorado's insistence on using infected hatcheries to continue stocking the state long after they should have stopped.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott Carles (scottcarles) Just finished my review of An Entirely Synthetic Fish. You can read it here http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/77...

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily Ballard (kdiddyb) | 1 comments I'm currently reading frigor mortis. It is a mystery novel where the wife and her lover kill her husband while he's ice fishing. Not neccesarily a fishing book but more of a fun read with a little fishing in it.

message 11: by ron (new)

ron swegman (ronpiscator) | 154 comments Mod
I just picked up a copy of BLUES by John Hersey.

Does anyone have some thoughts to share about this book or any others that focus on saltwater fly fishing?

message 12: by Scott (new)

Scott Carles (scottcarles) Sorry Ron, I don't do saltwater--either fishing or reading.

ron wrote: "I just picked up a copy of BLUES by John Hersey.

Does anyone have some thoughts to share about this book or any others that focus on saltwater fly fishing?"

message 13: by Scott (new)

Scott Carles (scottcarles) Just finished reading an interesting little book, Dry Fly Gospel by Terry Coffey. A short collection of short stories (12 stories taking up 92 pages). It's self-published through CreateSpace (an on-demand publisher) and sometimes it really tells with glaring typos. A few of the stories have appeared in print publications, like the Yale Anglers Journal. There are some quirky stories that catch one off guard. A couple of stories that might fall in the "silly" category. I really liked a couple of the stories. I'll see if I can rustle up the oomph to write a review for it in the next couple of weeks.

message 14: by Scott (new)

Scott Carles (scottcarles) Speaking of quirky, I'm now reading Richard Braughtigan's Trout Fishing in America. I'm only a dozen pages in, but definitely something interesting here.

message 15: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Trout Fishing in America may have little to do with trout fishing, but it's a wonderful book. Brautigan's best.

message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan | 3 comments ron wrote: "I just picked up a copy of BLUES by John Hersey.

Does anyone have some thoughts to share about this book or any others that focus on saltwater fly fishing?"

Scott wrote: "Sorry Ron, I don't do saltwater--either fishing or reading.

ron wrote: "I just picked up a copy of BLUES by John Hersey.

Does anyone have some thoughts to share about this book or any others that..."

Ron, IIRC that book's about 15 - 20 years old. It's more a personal statement than a how to book. There are some moments that are interesting where he describes time on the water. I didn't know what to expect when I read it. It was an enjoyable read but not notable.

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan | 3 comments A.J. wrote: "Trout Fishing in America may have little to do with trout fishing, but it's a wonderful book. Brautigan's best."

Yeah ! Trout Fishing Shorty.

message 18: by Scott (new)

Scott Carles (scottcarles) Now reading Travers Corners, The Final Chapter. A nice, light read.

message 19: by John (new)

John (TheFFC) | 3 comments Scott wrote: "Just finished reading an interesting little book, Dry Fly Gospel by Terry Coffey. A short collection of short stories (12 stories taking up 92 pages). It's self-published through CreateSpace (an on..."

I was considering purchasing this, and I think you just convinced me.

message 20: by John (new)

John (TheFFC) | 3 comments The last book I read was a book I picked up off of eBay called "Musings of an Angler" by O.W. Smith. It is a collection of essays written by Onnie Warren Smith. After reading the book, I researched O.W. Smith and found out he was a mid-westerner who wrote during the early 1900's, and was eventually inducted into the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame. Definitely a good read.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott Carles (scottcarles) I was considering purchasing this, and I think you just convinced me.

I'll hopefully have a full review of it up by Monday.

message 22: by Scott (new)

Scott Carles (scottcarles) John wrote: "..."Musings of an Angler" by O.W. Smith. It is a collection of essays written by Onnie Warren Smith..."

I've been more interested in slightly older literary books (20's - 60') as of late. It's interesting to read the perspectives.

message 23: by Todd (new)

Todd Larson (whitefish) | 10 comments H.T. Sheringham's edited volume "The Book of the Fly Rod," originally published in 1921 and which Derrydale came out with a beautiful paperback (with French flaps even!) about fifteen years ago. Well worth trolling the internet or used book stores for; I think I picked mine up for about $8.00. He passed away while editing the volume, by the way...

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

A.J. wrote: "Trout Fishing in America may have little to do with trout fishing, but it's a wonderful book. Brautigan's best."

I just re-read Trout Fishing in America. What a treat. It inspires me to write every time I read it. Brautigan may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it just resonates with me. I reviewed it briefly on my blog: Trout Fishing Review

One of my main criteria for judging art is whether it makes me want to create something. Trout Fishing in America inspires me to the point that I actually get off my butt (ok I'm still on my butt) and write something. So here's a link to my attempt at a Braugtigan style fishing story: Dream Stream: A Brautigan Inspired Piece