Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > What could/would you give up for 40 days?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments In honor of lent, what could/would you give up for forty days?

I'm not a big fan of this whole "suffering will make you better" strategy as far as lent is concerned...but I understand that thoughtful behavior change can focus one spiritually. But what would I give up? Sportscenter? Would I have to look down at the Y so I didn't see the television? Chocolate? Too easy. Reading? Stupid. And impossible. Goodreads? Let's not talk crazy here.

You?

message 2: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) What would I give up for Lent?

Not a damned thing. I think Lent is a bogus religious observance - people giving up things like smoking or drinking or dairy products so that they seem like they're "suffering."

I say if you're going to give something up, give up your material comforts. Live among the homeless or less fortunate. Quitting smoking for 40 days doesn't make one a stronger person.

message 3: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i don't observe (i was originally going to go with celebrate but i figured sally would rip me and say "you don't celebrate giving something up you moron")Lent but i think i sort of get it. i would lean more toward giving something up to practice the act of willpower. just to show i could do it.

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments note: sally has never (to my knowledge) called me a moron in print. dangit - she is going to see that lack of a space after the parenthesis and before the upper case L in lent

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

she'll Get Over It kev

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11665 comments Lent is a non-issue here. As a hardcore atheist (anti-theist?), I don't have to worry about what invisible beings think of me. If I was to give something up, it would be something like macadamia nuts or mushrooms, which I'm allergic to anyway.

message 7: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 158 comments I used to have to give stuff up for lent when I was a kid...usually it was black olives (which I used to eat all the time)...then on Easter I would pig out on them.

I haven't given anything up for lent in years though. I do try to not eat meat on Fridays but thats just more out of how I was brought up. On somedays I will forget and it doesnt bother me that much...I am not really a practicing Catholic anymore but for some reason I still feel that I should try not to eat meat on Fridays...

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments I'm not at all religious but I like to participate in Lent as an act of willpower (I have none). But this year, I am sort of reversing the process. I am forcing myself to go to the gym every other day for 40 days. I hate working out so it is sure to be hell.

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherjoy) | 384 comments I'm with you there Misha :)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I give up sweets for Lent, which I like to do after all the excesses of the holidays and Valentine's Day. It's a kind of detox for me. :)

message 11: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17334 comments Mod
When does lent end?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Easter, Sally. I have to be very careful with Easter candy after abstaining for so long.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Yes, but I don't...

:googles:

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I'm pounding down See's chocolates today, though.
Thanks, Larry! :)

message 15: by tee (new)

tee (teerex) | 13 comments Phil wrote: "Lent is a non-issue here. As a hardcore atheist (anti-theist?), I don't have to worry about what invisible beings think of me. If I was to give something up, it would be something like macadamia n..."

I like your way of thinking.

I'm lactose intolerant, so I choo-choo-choose milk to give up. And ice-cream. And cheese. And yoghurt. Perhaps wheat-products as well, because my stomach doesn't like them either, and I haven't eaten gluten for three years. And deep-fried things, because they make me vom.

However, being atheist also, Lent would be a non-issue for me too. Although I do enjoy torturing myself on occasion with radical diets and restrictions. I'm also cunning though. I could give up food for a period, but still manage to eat by finding things that don't technically count as food. Like soup, I SAY IT'S LIQUID THEREFORE A DRINK.

I'd have to give up rambling nonsense on the internets if I was to truly be devoted to such a cause. But hey, why punish all the fools that'd miss my dribble. I know you're out there. Secretly admiring the verbose, lengthy spew I subject you to.

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori I like your friend, Bun!

Chai - they have those lactaid pills that really do work, my husband is also intolerant, but pops those pills because god forbid he can't have pizza, lasagna, and milk with his Cheerios! I'd love to give up gluten, but it's difficult in this house where pasta is a huge hit with my family.

message 17: by tee (new)

tee (teerex) | 13 comments BunWat, makes sense. Except for the quitting smoking for one month ... and I presume he restarts? Masochism much? That would certainly be one month of the year I'd dread.

Lori, I have tried those pills in the past when I've had insatiable cravings for dairy, but I don't particularly miss eatin it - well, cheese I do - but I just don't seem to process it well, with or without pills. Gluten is a horror to give up. Everyone I know eats gluten products, it's a mini-hell every time I sit down to eat with others. You get used to it, you get to know what to buy and how to substitute - but there's no making it easy when there's a platter of delicious croissants or pastries in front of you.

I think everyone should give up dairy and gluten for Lent. Just to feel my pain.

message 18: by smetchie (last edited Feb 17, 2010 02:07PM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Bunny, I don't know how they do that either. I hate him.

I seem not to be observing Lent this year, though I sometimes do. I usually do something out of character that is good, but hard. Last year I tried not to get angry at all for 40 days. It was rough. Another year I tried to love this woman I work with for all of Lent. Every time she bugged me I had to love her instead. I think those are the kinds of things that make the world a better a place.

Crap. I think I just talked myself into observing Lent. Man I'm annoying. Now I have to figure out what to do. Maybe I will 86 negative thoughts about myself and others. But that's going to seriously cut down on my Haters Club contributions! Have to consider these things carefully. Any suggestions?

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments after last nights hot wing GluttonFest'10 i think i will give up chicken wings for at least 40 days. i went with my youngest son and his friends to there ritual wednesday wing night feed and bluh! not feeling so perky this morning.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments A chicken wing hangover? I'm sorry, Kevin, that sounds very uncomfortable.

message 21: by Sally, la reina (new)

If I really wanted to torture myself I'd make myself give up goodreads for lent.
But not this year. No way.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, I'll all for lent for other people. I'm not catholic but my children are. Last year my daughter gave up messing her room for lent. She enjoyed it so much her room is still tidy!!!! Unfortunately she has given up chocolate this year. That has no value at all.

message 23: by tee (new)

tee (teerex) | 13 comments You need to talk her into giving up misbehaving for lent. It'd almost be worth me taking up catholicism if I could talk my kids into good behaviour for more than a month.

message 24: by Redzeta (new)

Redzeta | 8 comments I would love to give up the wine, but what with life being an absolute pig at the moment I think that would be a tad impossible!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Unfortunately she has already committed herself. I will save that one up for next year & drop a few hints early! (one can only hope :).) Thanks for the suggestion.

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

Redzeta: mmmmm, wine.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Television...I would gladly give up television. I just may do that anyway...not a bad idea. Since lent was talked about, and I can't really make a connection to my next point, I am totally convinced there are three things that come from the thrown of Satan: 1) Walmart, 2) Credit Cards and 3) television. I've been thinking about adding Disney to the list...

message 28: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24262 comments Mod
I don't observe Lent, but I could give up lots of stuff. Meat, dairy, candy, alcohol (not a big drinker), bread, either fiction or nonfiction (but not both), TV (I don't use one), exercise, heroin.

message 29: by CD (new)

CD  | 1529 comments It all would depend upon whether I had to do it out in the desert :)

I don't do Lent. But I will prepare fish and similar for friends.

message 30: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (llooloo) | 1867 comments I could definitely give up exercise. Although that wouldn't be different than any other day...