Book lovers discussion

Random > Summer!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
So i know its a bit early but are we all looking forward to summer? Does anyone have any plans for things like trips or anything? I haven't booked a holiday yet but i will be looking for a week somewhere hot i think!

message 2: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) YES!!!
I am not used to rain and cold for days and days on end... this is not supposed to happen on the west coast in southern California!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH..........make it stop!!!!!!!!!

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I saw a comic the other day, I think it was BC. A guy is looking up & says, "The winter sky makes me nostalgic."

The other guy asks, "For what?"

The first answers, "July."

I'd say that about pegged it for me. We have 2' drifts with more snow coming & we're going down to 12 degrees F tonight. Yuck!!! I was on the Interstate this morning, going up a hill, when the #$#^$%&!!! automatic transmission downshifted. Suddenly I was at right angles to the road. Luckily no one else was close & I got it straightened out quickly. Still, it was ugly. The drive home wasn't much better. The last 15 miles off the Interstate were at 35mph in 4WD.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) JEEEZZZZZ..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Wow, Jim! Thats not good! Everyone seems to be getting a much worse winter this year/the end of last year. Bring on the sunshine!

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I'm staying home today. The end of the lane is drifted over with a wall of ice at the bottom from the snowplow. The road is ice & snow. If I do get through the end, I'll likely keep going into the neighbor's yard. I guess I'll stay home & try to dig everything out. I sure hope it stops drifting, though.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Sorry to hear its so bad. We are getting less and less ice now. Didn't even have to scrap the car this morning! Have a safe day!

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) It took all morning & the tractor pushed a lot of gravel & clumps of grass around too, but I'm dug out! I can't feel my toes still. If there is anything colder than sitting on a tractor plowing snow, I definitely don't want to do it.

I'm just glad we didn't get the snow my mother & youngest boy got. They're in MD. Mom says the snow is still up to her waist & it's sunk quite a bit. I think they've gotten over 6' of snow.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) Last week we got hit with 18 inches of snow in NYC and right now it's snowing!!!

I live on the beach so I am soooo over winter and ready for home heat! My plans? Enjoying that there will be no snow!

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I hope all your snow goes soon, Jim and Donna! And i am jealous that you live on a beach!

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) Yeah it's great in the summer but brutal in the winter!!! It gets very windy!

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) My cousin lives on the beach in Freeport, Donna. No, I wouldn't want to be there this time of year!

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) We are hoping to visit Endre's dad in Hungary then venture over to Vienna Austria the 3 of us. Depends how the economy treats us!

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Suzanne wrote: "JEEEZZZZZ..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hi Suzanne!!!

message 15: by Dean (new)

Dean (cowboys86) | 122 comments I want to go somewhere for my Birthday, the problem is deciding where, I'll probably get a cheap flight to the continent with some friends and go from there. I've always wanted to go on a Holiday and just sort of wing it :)

Although I could save up and go see family back in the US... but that's probably out of my league as far as money is concerned.

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (bellamy22) Diane D. wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "JEEEZZZZZ..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hi Suzanne!!! "

Hi Diane!!! I've missed you! What is going on with you???

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments I am usually not super excited about summer...it's pretty much summer year around here in LA, but this year I am excited mostly because it means a reprieve from traffic as everyone will be on vacations. I hope I hope I hope...I plan to visit my grandparents at some point in New Mexico, but aside from that no travel plans. I have decided I am finally going to become a proficient surfer. But I have been deciding that for about three years now and I still can't stand on the dang board. As goodreads as my witness I will conquer this mountain!...so to speak. :)

message 18: by Diane (last edited Feb 23, 2010 04:05PM) (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy wrote: "I am usually not super excited about summer...it's pretty much summer year around here in LA, but this year I am excited mostly because it means a reprieve from traffic as everyone will be on vacat..."

Hi Jessica - we don't live too far from each other. I live in Marina Del Rey.

message 19: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I wouldn't need to go on holiday if i lived in LA either. Good luck with the surf lessons, Jessica!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Diane D. wrote: "Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy wrote: "I am usually not super excited about summer...it's pretty much summer year around here in LA, but this year I am excited mostly because it means a reprieve from traf..."

WOW! You really are close to me! I go to the Marina for the boat parade during CHristmas time! DO you love it there? I LOVE the Marina. :)

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Jo wrote: "I wouldn't need to go on holiday if i lived in LA either. Good luck with the surf lessons, Jessica!"

Thanks Jo....I need alll the luck I can get. :\

message 22: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy wrote: "Diane D. wrote: "Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy wrote: "I am usually not super excited about summer...it's pretty much summer year around here in LA, but this year I am excited mostly because it means a r..."

Jessica, yes I do love it here. We moved to the Marina 4 years ago, we're renting, and I don't ever want leave. The Boat Parade -- were at the one this past December in the rain and fog? I'll have to catch up with you at this years!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Diane D. wrote: "Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy wrote: "Diane D. wrote: "Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy wrote: "I am usually not super excited about summer...it's pretty much summer year around here in LA, but this year I am exc..."

YES! I was there! And I was at last year's as well...which was rainy and freezing if memory serves me correctly...and then we ate at the mexican restaurant that's RIGHT THERE at the pier. We shall totally have to catch up at this years! :)