Book freaks discussion

Welcome

Comments Showing 1-50 of 569 (569 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Hola! I'm Gorfo and I can't wait till this group really gets going so I won't have to like talk to myself, cause that's a known sign of craziness. :P

message 2: by Iscela, the Ravenous Reader (new)

Iscela (iscelapineda) | 40 comments Mod
I'm also excited for the group to get started so we can chat amongst each other about books we enjoyed so hopefully many people will join really soon

message 3: by Angelique (new)

Angelique Anderson | 11 comments I talk to myself all the time--I answer myself too--and I don't consider myself crazy

I'm Angelique by the way

message 4: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) Hey all, just joined. My name is Yvonne. Wanted to share a website I absolutely adore with all of you. It's called paperbackswap.com, where you can trade books with other members. When you sign up just list me as a referral, Yvonne Irish.
How it works: 1) create an account and list 10 books you are willing to trade 2) when someone sends you a request for your book, you ship it to them and then receive 1 credit 3) when you receive a notice that a book you want is available, accept for 1 credit and it's on its way
Some books have a long wait, others none. Oh, and you get 2 credits right away for new members and listing your first 10 books.
Anyway, if you haven't heard of it yet, just check it out, that's all I ask. I am totally broke right now so I have my account on vacation hold ;)
Looking forward to the discussions in this group.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all,

I joined the other day and am excited to see what books we all will be reading and discussing together!

-Sea
http://www.readingwithsea.wordpress.com

message 6: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 9 comments Hi all

I'm a book freak though I'm now having to buy ebooks after being told by my dad I own too many books - lucky for me I own a smart little netbook.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Hayley wrote: "Hi all

I'm a book freak though I'm now having to buy ebooks after being told by my dad I own too many books - lucky for me I own a smart little netbook."

I am sad that you cannot buy books anymore. I would miss the feel and smell of them. They are my favorite aesthetic.

message 8: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 9 comments I've been crafty - I have certain authors that I have been collecting, so as long as they keep bring books out I'll still buy, I'll just have to hide them. I made the agreement with my mum lol

message 9: by Iscela, the Ravenous Reader (new)

Hayley wrote: "Hi all

I'm a book freak though I'm now having to buy ebooks after being told by my dad I own too many books - lucky for me I own a smart little netbook."

Yes my dad made me do that too so he bought me a sony reader because I had so many books but when I have money my mom takes me to the bookstore to buy more books

message 10: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 9 comments we're of the same ilk Iscela - my mum's a big reader too so she likes to have plenty of books around that she can read.

message 11: by Iscela, the Ravenous Reader (new)

So is my mom except she reads spanish romance novels.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Mads invited me! Hi yall. Nice to meet you!! I'll do my very bestest to keep up in discussion and such lol.

message 13: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Nice having you here! Thanks for joining!

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments where were all you cool people back when I was growing up. So cool to meet so many people as excited about books as I am. I didn't really hang out with too many big time book junkies growing up. I think I was the only one in the group that knew who Stephen King was back then. SO awesome to meet you all :o)

message 15: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (mommairish) Reminds of high school when my friend and I were shocked to know that a couple other close friends didn't know who Santana was. Then, the one friend who did know pipes up with, "yeah, my sister went to his concert and got go back stage and meet some guy Carlos from the band." She got hell for that one ;)

message 16: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Yvonne wrote: "Reminds of high school when my friend and I were shocked to know that a couple other close friends didn't know who Santana was. Then, the one friend who did know pipes up with, "yeah, my sister wen..."

wow that's a great tidbit. I never got to meet any musicians but I did got to plenty of Fangoria Horror conventions to meet some movie and book people. Those conventions were a blast. I wish they would have them here in either Seattle or Portland area would be great.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Steven wrote: "where were all you cool people back when I was growing up. So cool to meet so many people as excited about books as I am. I didn't really hang out with too many big time book junkies growing up. I ..."

this is very random, but have you read Mr. King's "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft" it's about how he became an author and it's filled with humor and things that made me love his writing even more.

message 18: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Kayla Kateri wrote: "Steven wrote: "where were all you cool people back when I was growing up. So cool to meet so many people as excited about books as I am. I didn't really hang out with too many big time book junkies..."

Hey Kayla, I haven't read that one yet. I do know the one you're talking about. It sounds like a good one. How would you rate the book so far. King does have a pretty good sense of humor. Have you ever seen the interview with him and John Grishom together on stage at some convention? Grishom says people say he writes like he's got the heart of a kid then he turns to Stephen King and says he doesn't know about Mr. King over there which King without skipping a beat says "John I have the heart of a kid, it's sitting in a jar on my desk at home." :o)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Steven wrote: "Kayla Kateri wrote: "Steven wrote: "where were all you cool people back when I was growing up. So cool to meet so many people as excited about books as I am. I didn't really hang out with too many ..."

Haha, that's wonderfully funny. I would rate it fairly high. I actually listened to it on tape because when an interview is read it begins to become more realistic. It was so enjoyable.

message 20: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Kayla Kateri wrote: "Steven wrote: "Kayla Kateri wrote: "Steven wrote: "where were all you cool people back when I was growing up. So cool to meet so many people as excited about books as I am. I didn't really hang out..."

cool, I will check into the book or maybe even the audio version you talked about. It does make sense that that might be better.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

i hope you enjoy it!

message 22: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Kayla Kateri wrote: "i hope you enjoy it!"

you have good taste in stuff so I bet I will :o)

message 23: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 5 comments Hi. I'm Randi. I can't promise to read EVERY book of the month, but I will try.

message 24: by Iscela, the Ravenous Reader (new)

Hi Randi, thanks for joining.

message 25: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Hey there Randi welcome :o)

Oh and you will read every book on here or else we will send out the hounds oooo ha ha ha ha ha !!!

What are some of your favorite types of books? Do you have any favorite titles?

message 26: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 5 comments I like anything except horror and sappy romance novels. Some of my fave books are The Book Thief, The Bell Jar, Water for Elephants, The Graveyard Book, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, and more.

message 27: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Ok cool see so now we have some ideas of books we can add to the voting process on what we read each month

message 28: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Ok, it's almost the end of March and I was wondering how many people in this group have been able to read the chosen book? Also, I was wondering where we want to chat about this title? Do we need to make a new discussion board or is there a way to go to a chatroom on here. I tell ya it will be cool to get high speed someday and just all chat around our webcams...oooo behold the future :o)

ƙămįƞāŕı« (hellokaty) My name is Katy(: how all you doing?

message 30: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Hey! Nice ta meet you! Thanks for coming to our group!

ƙămįƞāŕı« (hellokaty) Welcomes(: Nice to meet you too!

message 32: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo How'd you find out about us?

ƙămįƞāŕı« (hellokaty) Gorfo wrote: "How'd you find out about us?"

the groups tab?

message 34: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo ahhhhh! Cool!

message 35: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments I hope this message gets to everyone in this group and we can decide but I was discussing with
Iscela, that we might want to make this group start our book for this book group every other month. This will give people time to read something in another group they might be in or just read something not group related for that time frame. Plus it gives us a chance to get some lists made of books we would want to vote on and we can get a list going and posted.

message 36: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments I am gonna make a new thread for just what will be voted on for the next 2 reads, which should be an August book which gets discussed on the last Sat/Sunday of the month, then there will be an October book listed...again discussed the last weekend of the month.

message 37: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandy163rd) | 1 comments Hi! My Name Is Janet.

I Just Joined!!!

Sorry I Cant Go With The Convo Right Now :[

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mimikeke) | 1 comments Hi everyone!

I just joined today and so glad to have found this group. None of my friends are really into books and so it's nice to come somewhere and follow and join in discussions!

message 39: by ♥ Rachel♥ (last edited Apr 16, 2010 07:01PM) (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 11 comments I'm Rachel...as you can tell. I like reading (or I wouldn't have joined). I can be fairly sarcastic, and my humor tends to be pretty dry, I am very hyper though and will try to be active (or message me if I'm not)

message 40: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Welcome Michelle and Rachel, cool to meet you and we look forward to chatting about books with you in here. We are getting ready to read Blood Trails which is listed and we are looking for idea on what to pick for our July and Sept. books. We are doing an every other month read to give people chances to try other groups' books and give people chances to read things outside the group. try to give us a few titles, maybe 3 each to work with?

message 41: by ♥ Rachel♥ (last edited Apr 17, 2010 07:35PM) (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 11 comments What can the book be 'rated'? '-_-

message 42: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Hey Rachel, I say any rating is fine...what exactly are you looking for in ratings? Do you mean rated 4 stars or 3 or rated like PG13 to XXX ? cause we can swing it so many ways...cause we are Book Freaks...Let me hear a holler!!!

message 43: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo WOOT WOOT!

message 44: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Hey Rachel you should read some Yasmine Galenorn's Sisters of the Moon series...pretty close to that XXX point...just imagine if a witch and a dragon were getting it on hot and heavy in the forest...are ya there yet...yep that's what I'm talkin about crazy huh :o)

message 45: by Cici (new)

Cici Hi! I'm Cici, thank you Steven for asking me to join the group. I love books, obviously and love to talk about them :)The topics in this group seem pretty fun :)

message 46: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo We hope you'll enjoy it!

message 47: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 11 comments Steven wrote: "Hey Rachel you should read some Yasmine Galenorn's Sisters of the Moon series...pretty close to that XXX point...just imagine if a witch and a dragon were getting it on hot and heavy in the forest...."

OMG...shall read.

The reason I ask is I just read Suicide Notes, it's an amazing book, but there is gay sex, and they describe everything....

message 48: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Wow gay sex I guess it could be interesting. I don't think I'd be excited about it but obviously there are others that would be out there. I saw that book in the drawings section that had to do with a male vampire being with a priest. I guess in a way it's a little along the lines with the Interview With A Vampire stuff since the vampire is technically not human at all anymore...I would read it I guess just to view things from a different perspective.

message 49: by Steven (new)

Steven (tbones) | 252 comments Cici wrote: "Hi! I'm Cici, thank you Steven for asking me to join the group. I love books, obviously and love to talk about them :)The topics in this group seem pretty fun :)"

Oh and Cici you are very welcome and we are happy to have you with us :o)

message 50: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo I second the notion! Thanks for joining us!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12