Alternative Romance discussion

Theme-Specific > Suicidal Characters

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) | 129 comments Mod
One of my 5-star tags is this theme. If a book begins with someone trying to kill themselves I tend to love the book.

The Fall of Ile-Rien starts this way and that's the only reason I stuck with it. I'm glad I did, it was really funny and interesting and the romantic leads were both so charming.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) Night Rescuer by Cindy Dees starts with the hero about to end himself. That made me want to read the book.

Watchers by Dean Koontz, starts with Travis about to kill himself, but he meets Einstein, the most awesome dog who never existed in real life. This book has a great romance between Travis and Nora. But it's also a great love story between a man and his dog (but not in a sick, beastiality way).

message 3: by Christy (new)

Danielle "But it's also a great love story between a man and his dog (but not in a sick, beastiality way)"

awwww...

message 4: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Watchers sounds like an interesting concept. I love all of these new ideas for books I am getting.

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) The Red Tree by Caitlin Kiernan has a suicidal character, broken hearts, madness and a love story of sorts.

Watchers is one of my favorites. One of the main characters is a dog. What's not to like?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) Agreed, BarkLess. Einstein rules this book!

message 7: by Bark | Ladies Of Horror Fiction (last edited Apr 02, 2010 10:33AM) (new)

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) Here's another I just read from Clive Barker's Books of Blood 2:

Jacqueline Ess: Her Will and Testament

Jacqueline’s life is one boring day followed by another. She can’t take it anymore and decides to put an end to her misery but fails in the attempt and is brought back from the brink of death with a grisly talent and a new lust for life. It’s horribly humorous.

Then we switch gears and read Oliver Vassi’s testimony where he explains how he first met Jacqueline and was instantly under her spell. Enamored by her but knowing she’s been lying to him he starts to snoop into her past and gets a small taste of her power and then wants more . . . Foolish man.

This was a great story; so far my favorite possibly because of the twisted love story and creative goriness Barker delights in as he details his dark tale of lust, power and love.

message 8: by Christy (new)

Thank you! I'm totally looking that up.

message 9: by Merzbau (new)

Merzbau | 29 comments a lot of Barker's work has a romance plot weaved in...i should probably post that in the horror thread though...oh well