Alternative Romance discussion

Theme-Specific > Metafiction

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) | 129 comments Mod
What is Metafiction? "Metafiction is a type of fiction that self-consciously addresses the devices of fiction, exposing the fictional illusion. It is the literary term describing fictional writing that self-consciously and systematically draws attention to its status as an artifact in posing questions about the relationship between fiction and reality, usually, irony and self-reflection. It can be compared to presentational theatre, which does not let the audience forget it is viewing a play; metafiction does not let the reader forget he or she is reading a fictional work."

Stole it from Wiki ^

Much Ado About Nothing is my favorite no matter how much I belittle Shakespeare.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I like Metafiction. I'm excited to get more recommendations.

message 3: by Megan (new)

Megan Hansen (meganhansen) | 15 comments Mod
I've never heard of this genre. (No surprise there.) Let me see if I get it...Would The Princess Bride be Metafiction since Goldman constantly takes the reader out of the story with excerpts about "his" childhood and about "abridging" the book?

message 4: by Christy (new)

Yep, you win!

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Hansen (meganhansen) | 15 comments Mod
Hazaah!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Metaficiton is pretty interesting. Is Waiting for Guffman metafiction?

message 7: by Christy (new)

I only know Waiting for Godot...

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I haven't read that one.

message 9: by Christy (new)

Someone recently demanded that I read it. I take orders well...

message 10: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I have read Much Ado about Nothing. I enjoyed it. The Princess Bride has been in my TBR list forever. I shall make a note to read it soon.

message 11: by Christy (new)

Princess Bride is way better than the movie, even though the author is a dick.