Alternative Romance discussion

Introductions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) | 129 comments Mod
My name is Christy and I think there can never be enough groups to join.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) Hi Christy and Megan. Thanks for the invite. I love seeing romance in the unusual setting, with unusual characters, as long as it has the HEA. I hope that still makes me a good candidate for membership here.

message 3: by Christy (new)

You belong everywhere, and if you don't, that place shouldn't exist.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) Aw, that is so nice of you to say that, Christy!

message 5: by FabulousRaye (new)

FabulousRaye I'm Rachel. I have way too many cats and I do what Christy wants me to do.

message 6: by Christy (new)

Send me one of your cats!

message 7: by FabulousRaye (new)

FabulousRaye They don't like it when they get put in boxes & shipped. I considered using them as Xmas gifts.

message 8: by Megan (new)

Megan Hansen (meganhansen) | 15 comments Mod
I'm Megan and I also do everything Christy wants me to do, weird! lol Rachel... we might be kindred spirits!

message 9: by Christy (new)

This is turning into a great group.

message 10: by FabulousRaye (new)

FabulousRaye Megan, I think we might be!

message 12: by FabulousRaye (new)

FabulousRaye Hi Danielle!

message 13: by Amber (last edited Mar 01, 2010 01:45PM) (new)

Amber (cosmicv) | 23 comments Hi, I'm Amber. I joined this group because Christy invited me. I've never actually read any book that could be classified as a "romance" novel, except for maybe Christy's Familiar Scars which I'm reading right now, so I don't know what good it does me to join a group about romance books haha. Oh well...

message 14: by Christy (new)

You are the most romantic person I know.

message 16: by Amber (last edited Mar 01, 2010 07:12PM) (new)

Amber (cosmicv) | 23 comments Christy wrote: "You are the most romantic person I know."

lol, Really? ...I suppose I can admit that some facet of my personality is a hopeless romantic, but a very finicky one. I often find romantic pairings in books/tv/movies kind of annoying. It's rare that I find myself rooting for a couple or having an "awww" reaction, but when I do, I typically become immensely loyal to that coupling and want it to work out no matter what.

message 17: by Christy (new)

You know a good slash couple when you see it.

message 18: by Amber (last edited Mar 01, 2010 08:34PM) (new)

Amber (cosmicv) | 23 comments Christy wrote: "You know a good slash couple when you see it."

LOL, that's a whole different ball game! XD. I would say I'm less likely to be annoyed by a slash pairing, but it still takes a bit of work to get me feeling loyal to the pairing. I think I'm less likely to be annoyed by a slash pairing because...It sort of appeals to the type of romance story I'm usually most drawn to—the forbidden romance and "us against the world" type stuff. Not to say I'm into every type of forbidden romance. I tend to favor forbidden romances that involve an economic/class division (more so if it's historical) or a race/ethnicity conflict (typically more of an historical thing than something that happens in modern times). But my favorite is forbidden romances that challenge conservative views on sex/sexuality/gender/etc. Such as gay romances, transgender w/ non-transgender romances, or even something as simple as a guy who usually goes for uber girly females falling for a super tomboy-ish girl. That's part of the reason I loved the drama Coffee Prince . Class division aside, that HanGyul was able to look past the fact that EunChan was a guy (even though she wasn't) and allow himself to give in to his feelings anyway, to totally abandon his "straight" life and take a chance on love with a guy...OMG! Totally tugged at my heart strings ;_____; To me, that was a display of true, unconditional, love. Love overcoming every obstacle in its path. And that's the kind of romance stories I like....I feel I got really off topic with this reply XD.

message 19: by Christy (new)

TT_______________TT

I loved Coffee Prince..........I wish I could find novels like it.

message 20: by Amber (new)

Amber (cosmicv) | 23 comments ^ ME TOO!!! I still get all wibble-y feeling every time I think about it. If all romance novels were like Coffee Prince I'd probably become a romance genre junkie, but they aren't, so I'm not.

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason | 2 comments I'm Jason but to most am known as Wookie. Christy is rad. I wrote a book called "Dinner Bell for the Dream Worms" and at the crux of it, it could fit in here. At least Christy thinks so =)

message 22: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Hi, I'm Randi. I am not sure what all of these categories are, but I am always up to learning new genres to read. I am looking forward to this group. Thanks for inviting me, Christy.

message 23: by Christy (new)

Hey you two!

Your book belongs here for sure, Jason!

Any questions, Catamorandi, just ask. Some of the genres here are pretty specific.

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris Bowsman I feel like the odd man out... I haven't even read that much romance.

message 25: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) I am Robert, and I hate Danielle Steel.

message 26: by André (new)

André (andrh) | 3 comments Hey Christy - and everybody else!
Thanks for asking me. My stuff has not been published yet. One editor loved it but her boss thought it too crazy and too much of a crossover...
If you like you can take a look here: www.psychicrabbit.com
What is it about: Take a few hormone spitting teenagers, two brain-dead cops, a few Russian mafiosi, a psychic rabbit, a group of Native American spirits, drop them off in the desert and you got yourself a story. Any category suggestion?
All best,
André

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction (barklesswagmore) Hi everyone, my name is Laurie and I have too many cats, too many dogs and way too many books. I'll read pretty much anything but I'm drawn to darker books and the addition of a romance always helps but isn't always necessary. Thanks for the invite Christy.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) Hello to all the new faces!

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate (kpaone92) | 2 comments Hi everyone and many thanks to Christy for the invitation. My name is Kate and I like all writings, music and theather that fall under the large category of bizarro. My motto is the weirder the better.

message 30: by Christy (new)

Chris: You don't have to read romance, you have to BE romance.

Robert: Ditto.

André: Young Adult?

BarkLessWagMore: Thanks for joining!

Kate: Thanks for joining!

message 31: by Christy (new)

Hello Audrey, welcome to the group.

message 32: by Christy (new)

That's the power of the Reading Rainbow.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (gatadelafuente) Audrey, can you give us a synopsis of your book? Thanks.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! Happy to. Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for asking for a synopsis Danielle. I mentioned above about the reviews on the amazon kindle page. I think hearing about the book from other people who have read it is really helpful.

Celia Donnelly sets off for tropical Mexico, longing to repair her nerves, rekindle her marriage, and restore peace with her increasingly difficult teenage son. But just as the radiant coastline begins to thaw the cold within her family, a stranger sparks a long-dead passion inside her, and his connections lead to an unspeakable betrayal. From sea breezes to jungle steam to the crisp air of Zurich, Celia will be forced to uncover what everyone is suddenly after, including her own life. Caught inside a mysterious past, she must throw herself into harm's way in order to protect her son. But matters are complicated after the stirred passion becomes a fever that cannot be contained. Is he worthy of her love and trust? Or is he just another piece in the sinister plot to steal the very thing that Celia has no idea is hers to take?

A SMALL FORTUNE is a fast-paced, sexy, thrill-ride
to the brink of madness that begs the question:
How far will one woman go for the truth?

message 36: by André (new)

André (andrh) | 3 comments Thanks, Christy - I tried that one but the publisher thought it too wild for the kids. Maybe it was just the wrong house. Meanwhile I finished another story and have started work on a third.

message 37: by Alicia (last edited Apr 02, 2010 11:58PM) (new)

Alicia (kalypso) Christy wrote: "That's the power of the Reading Rainbow."

Haha!

Hi everyone! Thank you, Christy, for the invite. I don't read much romance either but I love to read and I am always open to new ideas.

message 38: by Richelle (new)

Richelle Chen (richellechen) | 1 comments Hi everybody. I'm Richelle and I'm new to Good Reads.

message 39: by Christy (new)

Alright, welcome you guys!

message 40: by ~riaria~ (new)

~riaria~ | 4 comments Hi!Ria here. I joined the group a couple of days ago( reviewing "Drawing Blood" brought me here). Looking for recs for good alt-romance reads. Been browsing the threads here and I noted down some books I need to read already ;)

message 41: by Christy (new)

Hello!

message 42: by Megan (new)

Welcome Ria! :)

message 43: by ~riaria~ (new)

~riaria~ | 4 comments Hi! *waves* :D

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm Alex and I like romance stories much better if they have decapitations.

message 45: by Christy (new)

Hello ;)

message 46: by Megan (new)

Amen Alex! And welcome! :)

message 47: by David (new)

David Agranoff | 1 comments David Agranoff horror and bizarro author of Hunting the Moon Tribe and The Vegan Revolution...with Zombies.

Word.

message 48: by Christy (new)

Blood type?

message 49: by Christy (new)

Welcome!

message 50: by Megan (new)

Welcome Jason!

« previous 1