Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

what do you do if book has wrong cover art

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 22 comments I have the original trade paperback of The Elfstones of Shannara and the cover art listed is incorrect to

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

In the original book. It says on the cover Terry Brooks

then below that it says the title: The Elfstones of Shannara

then is smaller writing it says An Epic Fantasy.

The cover of this edition on Goodreads is incorrect because it talks about a performance when this book is not an audio book and it has some language about it being the second book in the Shannara series when this was not on the cover

message 2: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 22 comments Similarly, the 1st edition of Elf Queen of Shannara

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15...

Another book that I own has the wrong cover art.

There is a white box on the bottom of the cover art that is not in the original book

message 3: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 22 comments Actually I see in the new librarians post that you can upload pictures for books that do not have a cover, presumably it helps if you have the book and the correct cover art, but can you correct books that have the wrong cover the same way.

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7025 comments Yes - you can but you do need to be careful that the cover work is not for an alternative edition that uses the same ISBN.

If you have copies of the cover art, you can post a link that those and the editions and some one will take care of it

message 5: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Jeffrey wrote: "can you correct books that have the wrong cover the same way"

Only if you're very sure that the book has never been published with that cover; often publishers will reprint popular books with different covers but not change the ISBN, in which case both covers are correct. However, in both of these cases, it looks at first glance like you're right: either the binding or the cover art of the Elfstones has to be wrong, because to the best of my knowledge ISBNs are not reused between print and audio editions (can you doublecheck this?), and if you can match the ISBN to a print edition then the cover can be replaced; for the second one, it looks like the white box is not part of the cover but is a slip of paper or a graphic placed over it, perhaps denoting an ARC? It's a shame the image isn't clear enough to read what's in that box.

Ralph Gallagher | 212 comments Amazon is showing the same cover but without the white box at the bottom. Weird.

message 7: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 22 comments I guess an answer is to take a digital picture of the cover of the book. I have a lot of first editions, and then upload it to good reads.

message 8: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 22 comments Paula wrote: "Yes - you can but you do need to be careful that the cover work is not for an alternative edition that uses the same ISBN.

If you have copies of the cover art, you can post a link that those and t..."

where do you post the link?

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7025 comments Post the link to a website that has the cover in this comment thread. If you are scanning the cover from your own copy then you need to upload to a website then link to that website if you want some one else to upload.

If you are uploading your self then you can edit the book and upload the image from your PC