All The Books You've Never Read discussion

Favorite Books > The Classics

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilljam) | 6 comments Hey! Okay so my friend has to read The Odyssey for her english class. She is absolutely hating it!!! I read it last year and I loved it. She thinks it's boring but I thought it was a fantastic 'journey home' story! What were other people's thoughts on that book? Also, i'm attempting to read other classic too, since i'm on this kick where I want to read some good classic books, like Oliver Twist, Tale of Two Cities, Fahrenhiet 451, Treasure Island, A Midsummer night's dream ( god help me wih that one! I can't even amke it to the 2nd page! AHH!)

Anyone read any of the books i've mentioned? Post if you liked them or didn't =]] And how difficult to read if they were!

message 2: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I've never read any of those but they sound really good! I have read Animal Farm, am currently reading Lord of the Flies, and want to read Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, and all of Jane Austen's books I guess.

message 3: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 181 comments I've heard different opinions of Charles Dickens' work. Some think that it is boring, but he's one of my favorite authors. I haven't read Treasure Island in years, but I remember liking it. Haven't read A Midsummer Night's Dream, but I read As You Like It...

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (katemreads) | 225 comments I have to agree with your friend Jill, I hated it. I read it in 7th grade(public school) then again in high school(private). I hated reading it again because you don't have to in public high school. Oh well, I never read any of it (high school) because I already read it, I guess that's a pluse. Personally I liked Romeo and Juliet. After you have someone translate it for you it's actually good.

message 5: by Eloradenin (new)

Eloradenin (animalsaremyeverything) | 115 comments Shakespear is awesome! I love all of the Jane Austen books.

message 6: by Zia (new)

Zia (zrg1) | 380 comments hi

message 7: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilljam) | 6 comments lol, yeah I did like Romeo and Juliet after we discussed it at lentgh and I knew what was going on!

message 8: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) LOL Jill. Hey Zia. I also want to read some of Charles Dickens' work. I've heard that a few of them are really good.

message 9: by Eloradenin (new)

Eloradenin (animalsaremyeverything) | 115 comments hehe I have an uncanny ability of understanding what Shakespeare is saying almost instantly.

message 10: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I've never read any of his work. Is it really that hard to understand?

message 11: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 181 comments Zakiya wrote: "LOL Jill. Hey Zia. I also want to read some of Charles Dickens' work. I've heard that a few of them are really good."

Personally, David Copperfield is my favorite Dickens book. Then again, I'm weird like that...I like Steinbeck (which people think is really weird).

message 12: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) one of my favorite ones would be A Little Princess and The Phantom of the Opera. But I also read lots of classics, like the Secret Garden, Treasure Island, Moby Dick, A Christmas Carol, Black Beauty, and lots more.

message 13: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 181 comments Oh, I loved A Little Princess. And The Secret Garden, too. Black Beauty made me cry, though.

message 14: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) aww.. I didn't cry, maybe because I read the edited one (the story became shorter because it was meant for kids..)

message 15: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) The Secret Garden... Have seen the movie, but haven't read the book. The movie's sequel, Return of th eSecret Garden, was really good too. I'm talking movies, not books. :)

message 16: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilljam) | 6 comments I saw the movie to the secret garden... I think.. Was it like with a girl and a boy living in this house, and the boy wasn't allowed out of him room or soemthing because of the sun, i think?? I think that was the movie. If not, I have no idea what i was watching...

message 17: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 181 comments Jill wrote: "I saw the movie to the secret garden... I think.. Was it like with a girl and a boy living in this house, and the boy wasn't allowed out of him room or soemthing because of the sun, i think?? I thi..."

Yes, that sounds like it...

message 18: by Eloradenin (new)

Eloradenin (animalsaremyeverything) | 115 comments mhm

message 19: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) That's definitely it! The movies were very appealling to me! :)

message 20: by Ayunda (last edited Feb 19, 2010 08:28PM) (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) I never watched the movie... but I loved the book!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I for myself read The Odyssey when I was... I don't know, eleven? But I loved it. I still liked it. But I read it in Korean, not in English, I might add :) So maybe I wouldn't have liked it if I had to read it in English :)
I also liked Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
I read Secret Garden, too, it was one of my favorites when I was younger(I was a strange kid).

message 22: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) There is nothing strange about that. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Really? Cause everyone said 'what kind of kid were you?'
It's really nice to hear that I'm normal :) Thank you!

message 24: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) In my eye, you're definitely normal! Most of the kids at my school don't like reading at all.

message 25: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 181 comments Ginny, If you were strange, I must be weird. Or something. I love classics (as I've said), which is surprisingly not common at my age (15).

message 26: by Eloradenin (new)

Eloradenin (animalsaremyeverything) | 115 comments yeah I know what you guys mean

message 27: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) I love most classics with some exceptions *cough*great expectations*cough*

message 28: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) LOL Leonor. :D

Jordan: That really isn't common. But at least it's not impossible! :)

message 29: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) yeah Im not that old (13) n i like classincs

message 30: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I'm 13 as well, and to me, classics are the ones everyone should read more often, including myself. :P

message 31: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) yeah high 5 Zakiya

message 32: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) *high fives Leonor*

message 33: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) *grins*

message 34: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) *lol's*

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Jordan wrote: "Ginny, If you were strange, I must be weird. Or something. I love classics (as I've said), which is surprisingly not common at my age (15)."

I'm 15, too :)
So let's say we're both normal, okay? :)

message 36: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 181 comments Okay! :)

message 37: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) lol

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

cool :)