The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon The Lost City of Z discussion

Who's optimistic?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just say this book doesn't appeal to me since the premise doesn't seem to ring true. I feel negativity blares out constantly in media and conversations.

Charles Did you bother to read the book?

Diane I loved this book- it was dark and descriptive. This man was really obsessed. I felt so sorry for the poor wife at home while her husband was out searching for the elusive treasure.

George I stumbled on this book one day at the library.
I was in one of those times when you are just not sure what you want to read. I get these periods where I have no idea what I want to read next from time to time.

But this book was great in fact it started me a jungle binge. I have been in and out of the Amazon jungle now about a dozen time. In fact I have trouble staying out of the Amazon. (of course I am talking about reading here...have never actually been there)

Around the turn of the 20th century these explores where the "rock stars" of the time. And Percy Fawcett was the Keith Richards of the time.

This book turned me on to a whole new world that I thought I would not be interested in....The Amazon Rain Forest.

Also I found some great movies and a great movie producer. Fitzgaraldo, and Acquire, the Wrath of God where two movies that were MADE by Werner Herzog and now he is "my guy".

Another awesome book was "Fordlandia". It is a true story how Henry Ford tried to turn the Jungle into a rubber factory and spent a ton of money and resources only to find out that it was not that good of an idea.

Now I am interested in reading about Leonardo di Vinci.
I need something that is not written by a collage professor. Something about Leo's background and metors during the renaissance of Southern Italy.

Any suggestions?

Diane I'll have to look for "Fordlandia." I don't have any suggestions for you regarding Leonardo Di Vinci but If someone posts some suggestions I would be interested as well. I did a search a few years ago and did not really come up with anything - I probably quit too soon and got involved with something else - so if someone has done the work I would like to benefit from it as well.

George Diane wrote: "I'll have to look for "Fordlandia." I don't have any suggestions for you regarding Leonardo Di Vinci but If someone posts some suggestions I would be interested as well. I did a search a few years..."

Thank you Diane for your Quick response. That was my first post on Goodreads and I did not know if anybody would read it even.

If ya get a chance get yourself Fordlandia. The cover has some goofy artwork but "You cannot tell a book........." you know the rest of that saying.

Henry Ford who revolutionized auto making...had it in is head that he could do....just about anything.
But if you know anything about South America, you will find that the rain forest has a mind of it's own.
You should see the documentary about "Making of Fitzcaraldo" by Werner Herzog. You will see how hard it is to move movie equipment around in a Jungle. Plus he had to deal with the natives. It is a GAS.
Thanks again for your reply.

Jeanne I loved this book, too. To go on an adventure into the Amazon without getting bitten by mosquitoes is one of the greatest joys of reading. Also, I am intrigued by forgotten histories rediscovered and "The Lost City of Z" filled the bill.

Diane I was able to download Fordlandia on my Nook.

George Jeanne wrote: "I loved this book, too. To go on an adventure into the Amazon without getting bitten by mosquitoes is one of the greatest joys of reading. Also, I am intrigued by forgotten histories rediscovered ..."

I must come clean here Jeanne I read this book years ago. Now that you mentioned the misquitoes I seem to remember how Fawcett, on his second try, brought another explorer with him. It was a guy that was an experienced explorer of the South pole. This guy wanted to pack heavy and bring in pack mules. The very first night the vampire bats....made meals out of those mules. The bite of those bats has an toxin that would not let the wound created by the bite....stop bleeding. It must have been horrible for those poor mules.

George Diane wrote: "I was able to download Fordlandia on my Nook."
SWEEEEEET. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did. Let me know if you liked it Diane.

Spencer George wrote: "Also I found some great movies and a great movie producer. Fitzgaraldo, and Acquire, the Wrath of God where two movies that were MADE by Werner Herzog and now he is "my guy"..."

You should see "Burden of Dreams" It's a documentary about the making of Fitzcaraldo. It was really good.

Geoffrey I have been on a jungle kick for 32 years at least, including one stint camping in the US national park in Puerto Rico. There are at least two principal rainforests on the island, one on the north coast, about 40 miles east of San Juan and the other, and the second to the southeast of SJ.

I would recommend

Life Above the Jungle Floor by Perry
Running the Amazon by Joe Kane
The Thief at the End of the World by Joe Jackson

message 13: by i. (new) - rated it 3 stars

i. The book gives you a lot of information which is really interesting if you are planning a trip to the jungle, but it may also make you cancel the trip.

message 14: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee George, you might try The Sound Of Butterflies by Rachael King by Rachel King. It is set during the Victorian era in both England and the South American rainforest. It gives a really dark view of the rubber trade.