Love Inspired Books discussion

Inside Janet Dean's Writing World

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 1035 comments Mod

1. What are some things you enjoy doing in your free time?

I love to read and take walks. I also enjoy rubber stamping greeting cards and knitting simple items like scarves. I just bought this soft pink yarn to make a baby blanket for a precious newborn adopted into a friend’s family. The best part, I can knit while thinking about my story. I also golf occasionally. I don’t always enjoy my game, but I love being outdoors with friends. Oh and I love the riding around in those little carts too. Smile

2. How do you balance real life with writing life?

Balance isn’t easy. It helps to divide up my day into slices like a pie. Every day I strive to write and to spend time with God and family and get in a walk or exercise. Spending time with friends feeds my need for people and rejuvenates my creativity so I try to hook up with friends once or twice a week. However when deadlines loom or I need a quick turnaround for my editor, writing takes precedence.

3. What are some of your favorite books and authors?

My favorite book is the Bible. Fiction favorites: Gone With the Wind, Jane Eyre, Redeeming Love, Morning Glory, Bookends… Add to that list all the books written by my critique partner Shirley Jump and my Seeker sisters, Mary Connealy, Camy Tang, Julie Lessman, Missy Tippens, Ruthy Logan Herne, Glynna Kay, Cara James, Debby Giusti, Audra Harders, Myra Johnson, Cheryl Wyatt and Tina Radcliff. Nine of these writers are Love Inspired Authors.

4. Which of these have had the biggest impact on you and why?

The Bible has had the biggest impact on my life and always will. Where else can you find God’s wisdom at your fingertips? Of all the wonderful fiction authors I’ve read I credit LaVyrle Spencer for giving me my love for historical romances.

5. What is the biggest challenge you've faced as an author?

Learning how to promote my books and participate in social networking. I have much to learn, but when I get discouraged, I try to remember how far I’ve come.

6. What writing organizations do you belong to, and what value have you gotten from them?

I belong to Romance Writers of America and Faith, Hope & Love, its special interest chapter. RWA’s Romance Writers Report, the monthly magazine, along with attendance at conference workshops have taught me so much about craft. The same is true of American Christian Fiction Writers’ conferences. Both have given me opportunities to network, to make writer friends and to enter contests that’s excellent feedback helped me improve my writing. I don’t believe I would be published if not for membership in these organizations.

7. What is the most difficult part of the writing process for you?

Creating strong book-length external conflict for my hero and heroines is the most difficult for me. I have to dig deep to discover what tangibles in their world keep them apart?

8. What is the most enjoyable part of the writing process for you?

Since it comes easily, I love writing internal conflict, all those experiences in their pasts that have wounded them and are keeping them apart. I also love writing my here and heroine’s spiritual journeys. Both add depth to characters and bring them alive on the page.

9. Are you a plotter or pantser?

I’m a plotter, but not to the extent that some plotters are. If I got more proficient at plotting, I suspect I would increase my productivity. So that’s my goal.

10. How has writing for Love Inspired impacted you personally?

Having the privilege to write for Love Inspired Historical means more than I can say. Not only do I have the joy of seeing my stories in print, I also hear from readers who’ve told me how my stories have touched or made a difference in their lives. To realize that my books do more than entertain both touches my heart and makes me strive to improve my writing. I want to give my readers the best stories I possibly can.

Courting Miss Adelaide, Steeple Hill LIH, September 2008
Courting the Doctor's Daughter, Steeple Hill LIH, May 2009
The Substitute Bride, Steeple Hill LIH, February 2010
http://www.janetdean.net
http://www.janetdean.blogspot.comThe Substitute Bride

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments YAY!! Can't wait to get Substitute Bride! I like riding in the golf cart too. That's the only reason I go to the golf course with my dad! I just watch him golf and I get to drive the cart. LOL
Love Jane Eyre and Redeeming Love. Great Books!

Random question...what is a pantser? I know what a plotter is, but I've seen pantser in these posts and wonder what the exact definition is. I've got a guess, but I'm just curious. :D

message 3: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments Hey Jennifer I know that answer to your question I think
its someone who writes by the seat of there pants.
I am getting this book one way or the other.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments lol that's what I figured!

message 5: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Hello, Jennifer and Jenny! Great to see you!

Jennifer, I'm sure your dad loves being driven to his ball. Do you give him advice?

Jenny nailed the term panster that refers to writers who don't plot their books. Though writers spend lots of time planted in their computer chairs so pick your own definition. LOL

I love your determination to get The Substitute Bride, Jenny. I'd hoped you'd win a copy in Seekerville. But I can't cheat. LOL

message 6: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments See hanging around seekerville does teach me something!
Hey Janet thats ok. I have been lucky there with Missy's books so its only fair I buy someone elses.
Just read Glynna's this past week.
I checked out other places where you have a giveaway but many are us only but thats ok. as I said I have gift vouchers.
(and I have a birthday this month so will get some birthday money)

message 7: by Patsy (new)

Patsy | 64 comments I just finished reading Glynna Kaye's Dreaming of Home and loved it.

message 8: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments You never know, Jenny. You could still win a copy. What day is your birthday?

message 9: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Patsy wrote: "I just finished reading Glynna Kaye's Dreaming of Home and loved it. "

Glynna is a good friend. I'm so proud of her and her debut! Glad you love it, Patsy!

message 10: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments feb 26th. I loved Glynna's book too and the subject is very close to aussies. shes also going to be on my blog.
I think I have had a Seekers month I have read, You Janet, Glynna, Mary, finished Missy, and about to read Cheryls.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments LOL...nooo, I make fun of him when he hits a bad shot! :D Actually, I'm his good luck charm, cause he seems to have a decent game when I'm with him. Kinda funny.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments I've entered to win it here on goodreads, but I don't know if I can wait till march...lol I may have to go buy it at walmart.

message 13: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments there are a few blogs like Trish Perrys that are offering it at present.

message 14: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Ausjenny wrote: "feb 26th. I loved Glynna's book too and the subject is very close to aussies. shes also going to be on my blog.
I think I have had a Seekers month I have read, You Janet, Glynna, Mary, finished Mis..."

Jenny, that's awesome! You're great about chatting in Seekerville. All the Seekers appreciate it. And will love hearing you're reading our books. Thank you!

message 15: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments You're his good luck charm like those dangling dolls or furry dice people used to hang from their rearview mirrors. Be careful. LOL Sounds like you and your dad have a great relationship.

message 16: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Jennifer wrote: "I've entered to win it here on goodreads, but I don't know if I can wait till march...lol I may have to go buy it at walmart."

I'm giving away a copy at the LIH event on Monday. Did you get the invitation?

message 17: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Yes, and Trish Perry's blog. But if you decide to buy it, this is the month. I'm bummed it's not on the shelves yet at the Walmart near me. Something must've gone awry.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Janet Dean wrote: "You're his good luck charm like those dangling dolls or furry dice people used to hang from their rearview mirrors. Be careful. LOL Sounds like you and your dad have a great relationship."

I do! He's great. I'm a huge Daddy's girl. :D

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Janet Dean wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I've entered to win it here on goodreads, but I don't know if I can wait till march...lol I may have to go buy it at walmart."

I'm giving away a copy at the LIH event on Monday...."

Yup, saw it after I posted my post! :D

message 20: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments Yep coming Monday/tuesday.
I will be buying at amazon as I have a gift voucher.
It will be in australia in about 2 months or 3. Nov books were there in mid Jan.
but I think a friend who always gives me a gift from america (often finds something to send from here) will now give me a gift voucher as it saves money on postage etc. So am holding of till Feb 27ish.

message 21: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Gift cards or vouchers make a great present! I like to spend them right away. I'm always afraid I'll lose them.

message 22: by Renee (new)

Renee (steelergirl83) | 17 comments This was fun Janet! I have to say that I am a seat of the pants writer LOL, although I've never written a book or have plans to do so! In school I was the person who just started writing without doing any type of outlining or brainstorming and those little circle graph thingies (can't remember the exact term :-P) well I never could stand to do them!

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Renee wrote: "This was fun Janet! I have to say that I am a seat of the pants writer LOL, although I've never written a book or have plans to do so! In school I was the person who just started writing without do..."

concept map, or clustering or spider map...they use those any of those terms. :D Used to be an English major

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments I usually kinda write an intro, do the body of the paper and go back and rework the thesis sentence and/or introduction. Totally rework the conclusion like three times!

message 25: by Renee (new)

Renee (steelergirl83) | 17 comments Yesssss that's it Jen! You're awesome! I asked my little brother who's in 8th grade but he couldn't think of what those maps were called LOL! Some help he is and he has to use those maps all the time!

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Hehehe! One of my profs made us do one two semesters ago...it was my physics prof. So pointless anyway since she was a horrible teacher...they fired her the next semester!

message 27: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Renee wrote: "This was fun Janet! I have to say that I am a seat of the pants writer LOL, although I've never written a book or have plans to do so! In school I was the person who just started writing without do..."

I used to write seat of pants, Renee, but wasted too much time writing words that didn't move the plot. I've learned to plan.

I've heard that called Brain Mapping.

message 28: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Renee wrote: "Yesssss that's it Jen! You're awesome! I asked my little brother who's in 8th grade but he couldn't think of what those maps were called LOL! Some help he is and he has to use those maps all the time!"

I didn't realize teachers used that technique in the schools. Cool!

message 29: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Jennifer wrote: "I usually kinda write an intro, do the body of the paper and go back and rework the thesis sentence and/or introduction. Totally rework the conclusion like three times!"

I revise a lot too. Even with plotting the book, what comes out on the page the first time isn't pretty. LOL

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Janet Dean wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I usually kinda write an intro, do the body of the paper and go back and rework the thesis sentence and/or introduction. Totally rework the conclusion like three times!"

I revis..."

LOL...the first is horrendous for me. So many mixed up thoughts and unfinished sentences...or ones that don't make sense. When I proof read it I ask myself what point I was trying to make or if there was one! hahaha

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Janet Dean wrote: "Renee wrote: "Yesssss that's it Jen! You're awesome! I asked my little brother who's in 8th grade but he couldn't think of what those maps were called LOL! Some help he is and he has to use those m..."

Yeah, they teach us in our education classes that it helps those who learn visually (right brained)

message 32: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 1035 comments Mod
This is so interesting... I'm learning a lot about how people think!

message 33: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Jennifer wrote: "Janet Dean wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "I usually kinda write an intro, do the body of the paper and go back and rework the thesis sentence and/or introduction. Totally rework the conclusion like three..."

Computers make all those changes so much easier. Can you imagine doing revisions on paper?

message 34: by Renee (new)

Renee (steelergirl83) | 17 comments LOL I went through college without a computer so I probably went through 5-6 trees during my college paper writing career! :-P

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Renee wrote: "LOL I went through college without a computer so I probably went through 5-6 trees during my college paper writing career! :-P"

The computer lab was my best friend when I didn't have my own printer! I would just use the one in the library on campus(still do!) Saves me my ink and paper.

message 36: by Renee (new)

Renee (steelergirl83) | 17 comments Hahahaha oh my goodness if my universtoy knew how much paper I used they would have doubled my tuition!

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments Renee wrote: "Hahahaha oh my goodness if my universtoy knew how much paper I used they would have doubled my tuition!"

Oh...big universities make you pay a library/printing fee. Lamar hasn't figured that out. But, they may. They say on 25 pages a day...but no one listens

message 38: by Renee (new)

Renee (steelergirl83) | 17 comments LOL I went to a small state university that didn't really have rules about printing so believe me I took advantage!

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 434 comments hehehe! i do too

message 40: by Julie (new)

Julie | 6 comments OK, I'm obviously still a newbie here....what/where is Seekerville?

message 42: by Julie (new)

Julie | 6 comments Thanks Jennifer!

message 43: by Renee (new)

Renee (steelergirl83) | 17 comments Oh you will love Seekerville Julie! There are a lot of terrific authors there and the post some great stuff!

message 44: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 517 comments we have a $2 printing limit for each class but for some reason it doesn't take it off which we are not complaining about considering with powerpoint I have done my $2 already! but if you photocopy then it does charge you.

message 45: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Julie wrote: "OK, I'm obviously still a newbie here....what/where is Seekerville?"

Seekerville is a group blog of 15 writers and I'm one of them. A fun spot to talk and win books.

message 46: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Renee wrote: "LOL I went through college without a computer so I probably went through 5-6 trees during my college paper writing career! :-P"

LOL! I remember those college papers!

I don't print off the pages of my stories as much as I used to. It's quicker to revise onscreen though I'm better at catching errors in hard copy. So I always print before I send my editor anything.

message 47: by Janet (new)

Janet Dean | 34 comments Janet Dean wrote: "Yes, and Trish Perry's blog. But if you decide to buy it, this is the month. I'm bummed it's not on the shelves yet at the Walmart near me. Something must've gone awry."

I'm smiling! The Substitute Bride is now on the Wal-Mart shelf near me. Elizabeth must've tried switching places with another bride. LOL