For The L♥ve of Reading discussion

Discussions > Books That Changed Your Perspective

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ I thought it would be interesting to have a discussion about books that changed how you feel about a certain issue, culture, time period, etc.

The book that changed my perspective is What Is The What. This is a book by Dave Eggers that depicts the life of a man displaced in his own country. He comes to America in hopes of assimilating, but his journey is a long and difficult one.

I find the writing quite moving and uplifting.

Eggers made me see the life of an immigrant in a new light. The difficult of assimilation and the inability to connect to one's homeland are told here with a heartfelt candidness.

message 2: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 130 comments I would have to say that the book that changed my perspective the most was a book called Your Best Life Now by Joel Osteen. When I went into it, I was an atheist. When I came out, I believed in God.

message 3: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ now that's some change! i believe i know someone with this book so i may have to borrow it based on your revelation!

message 4: by Andrez (new)

Andrez (andrez-ssi) The Knight in Rusty Armor relly was great, its a bout a man that never undresses his armour, and eventually his son doesnt know his fathers face, his wife tells him that or he takes the armour out, or shell leave him.then he discoves he cant take it out, its rusty.he starts a journey where he discovers himself and, of course it made me cry

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason | 21 comments I'd probably say Bill Budd even if your doing right you can still have people accusing you of wrong and if you don't watch your reaction bad consequences can happen.
Remember feeling bad for the main character something I could connect with just meaning well and still end up being wrong.

message 6: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ billy budd. i remember this book from senior year. i think i deplored reading it, but i also was struck by the idea of the double. or am i remembering a different book?

[ eff. i have no clue! ^o^ ] (me_want_cookie) | 40 comments Push by Sapphire, It was a book I had read in sixth grade, It made me realize that life is hard, indeed, but there are people in worse situations that don't have the support you do. The movie Precious is based off of this book, btw.

message 8: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i've seen this book and i would like to read it. i think reading it before the movie came out, you probably have a much more visceral response to it. my reading will be clouded by the movie. which is excellent.

[ eff. i have no clue! ^o^ ] (me_want_cookie) | 40 comments lol....
I cried,....