North Liberty Readers discussion

Books > The Help

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
Post comments, ideas, progress, whatever you want to say about The Help.

message 2: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
Page 3 here I come...

I think it's going to take me a little bit to get into this book completely because reading the dialect is making me slower...

message 3: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Jen (NekoKitty) | 913 comments Mod
I'm on cd 4! I must say, I like all of the references to Gone With the Wind! :)

I can imagine that it would be hard to read due to the dialect... I remember having to read and re-read paragraphs in Gone With the Wind.

message 4: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
I think if I'm a little more awake that might help. I'll try again tonight.

message 5: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
Ok...I read until 4 this morning, woke up at 9 and finished it... I just couldn't put it down. I didn't even realize how late it was until I looked up and saw the clock.

message 6: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Hmmm.... now who is the one flying through the books? :) Actually, I'm going pretty quickly... I think I'm on cd 6 right now! 6 of 15 is close to half way! Skeeter just went on her second date.

I've been trying to get through A Dance to the Music of Time... I'm really not sure what it has such good ratings on goodreads... trying to stick with it though! :)

message 7: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
I'm a little surprised at how fast it went, but I literally started reading last night and looked up 5 hours later, surprised that it had been that long.

message 8: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
I really enjoyed how she built the characters. I felt like they all grew a lot throughout the book. I also enjoyed how the stories were intermingled and interconnected.

message 9: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
I really liked Minny. I enjoyed how she spoke her mind and wasn't afraid to do so. Most of the times I laughed out loud while reading it was because of Minny.

message 10: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Me too! Minny rocks!

message 11: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

It's getting tense! Leeanne has just told Skeeter that Hilly says that Skeeter wrote the book, and that she will not fire her maid. Ohhhh the suspense!

message 12: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
I know! It's interesting to see the different reactions to the book within the book.

message 13: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Oh my! Only 20 minutes left! Minny's on the phone with Abeline while Minny's sister is coming to pick her up after she ran from Leroy. OMG! I just want to go take a 20 minute break to keep listening!!

message 14: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
A lot happens right at the end... It's amazing how telling your story to just one person can change everything.

message 15: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Ahhh!!! I want to read!!!!

message 16: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
You'll finish it tonight on the way home... What a way to end the week!

message 17: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I know!!! Argh! I literally considered just sitting in my car and letting it finish... but I needed to get in.

message 18: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
lol... I felt that way too while I was reading it, which is why I stayed up so late to finish it.

message 19: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I believe it!

message 20: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Great book, beautiful story! Here's the deal - I loved it so much, but I was so sad when it ended. Yes, it was uplifting, but I wanted to know more! I wanted to find out how Skeeter made out in New York, I wanted to know what Abeline ended up deciding to do. I wanted to know more about Minny and Celia. I wanted to know if anyone ever found out about Hilly and the pie! :)

It was beautiful!

message 21: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
I know! There was a lot more I wanted to know. I loved how it unfolded. The different points of view worked really well. I was a little worried that it would end like a lifetime movie (with everything just working out at the end in a miraculous moment), and was really impressed with how she was able to end it. She was able to create a lot of changes, but everyone had to make choices and decisions to allow those changes to take place. The changes weren't forced on the characters.

message 22: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

It will be interesting to see how the movie ends... we should go see it together! :)

message 23: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
Sounds great! When's it coming out?

message 24: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Here's the imdb link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1454029/

message 25: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
So, they don't know yet... I want to see how they put it on film!

message 26: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Me too!

message 27: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
It looks like the movie's coming out in August 2011! I want to see it!

message 28: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Cooool!

message 29: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
If it comes out as early as expected (the 11th...), maybe Coco could come up and watch it with us since school would not have started yet...

message 30: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I like that idea, I do I do!

message 31: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
So... Coco asked me last night if we were going to go see this movie together. I think she might be willing to come up the weekend of the 13th, if you think you have time to see the movie. I think she might come up either way, but it could be fun to see it together. I don't see it on the theater web sites yet, but they don't seem to have much more than a week at a time posted...

P.S. Coco, please respond to this thread if you have any opinions!

message 32: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I can't go on the weekend of the 13th of August because I'll be in the Dells... :( We leave on Friday, and come back on Monday the 15th. :( (I realllllly want to go see that movie!!)

message 33: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
That's right! I'm a noob... You did tell me you were going (something about feeding your cats...;)).

I'm more than happy to go see it with you when you get back! I don't know if Coco can come the next weekend though. I think she might have to be in CO by then... Maybe I'll have to see it twice. I think I could probably make the sacrifice...

message 34: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

I'm sure I could twist your arm! Somehow I don't think I'll be able to convince Wimmie to go with me.

message 35: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
I didn't think it was one that he'd be excited to see. It probably won't take too much arm twisting to get me to go again (unless it was horrible the first time, which I really don't expect...)! We should also go see the last Harry Potter... I don't know how much longer it's going to be playing.

message 36: by Jen, Super Spunky! (new)

Either would be good with me!

message 37: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
Coco and I are going to see the movie tonight!

message 38: by Sonja, (Da-Sonja) (new)

Sonja | 872 comments Mod
It was awesome! I would definitely go see it again if you want to go, Jenni.

message 39: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherineswift) | 3 comments I think I better pick this book up next. You all have me anxious to read it now :)

message 40: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherineswift) | 3 comments I think I better pick this book up next. You all have me anxious to read it now :)