A Christmas Carol A Christmas Carol discussion

what is mister scrooge's first name

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sabrina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Sabrina i need to now it know plz answer me

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennifer Smith Ebeneezer (sp?)

message 3: by Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) Ebeneezer. That's right ^-^

message 4: by Dustin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Dustin Ebenezer (at least, according to the version I have open in front of me...)

CMT325 I was curious as to what his name meant, so I looked it up. Ebenzer is a name that means "stone of help" in Hebrew. "Scrooge", of course, means a miserly person.

Matthew I think it unfortunate that "Scrooge" has come to mean a miserly person. I think it ought to mean what the book tells: a "scrooge" is a person who has a great change of heart and mind, from a sad, hard, mean, lifeless person, to a kind, generous, and good one.

I guess perhaps there isn't as much use for such a word as that.

CMT325 But if you look at his first name, it means "stone of help." Therefore, I believe it means he can be of help ... if he uses his first name more than his last name, I guess. :)

Larry Ebeneezer is such a great name, and I adore the story!!

Janeen-san I like the book, too! Strangely enough, the most recent version of the movie is the most accurate, and it was after seeing it I decided to read the book, which I liked very much.

Larry Yes the CGI version with Jim Carey was very good!

Megan I have done a theatrical version and loved it!! its such an amazing story!

Alyssa i would never have read it except i had too for my ad. language arts class at christmas tilme

Sarah CGI version was probably my favorite. The book was really great, I finally read it back in December and then saw every version of the movie I could record on the DVR to compare them to the book.

message 14: by Rose (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rose Ann I compare books to movies as well. Probelm is the book is almost always better. Has anyone seen the movie version with George C. Scott. It was wonderful.
The only two movies I thought were better than the book is Fried Green Tomatoes and The Color Purple.

Jackie My favorite version, even though it is not as accurate to the book (it does however use much of the same language) it the Muppet's Christmas Carol! I don't know what it is, the music, the actors (got to love Michael Caine) or the fact that Kermit the Frog plays Bob and Miss Piggy his wife! This was my first way of being introduced to the story and I watched it all the time (even in July) but once I was old enough, I read the original. I love the book as much (if not more than) the Muppet's movie.

message 16: by Henry (last edited Jul 24, 2011 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Henry Le Nav My wife is a Christmas Carol groupie. Every year we watch George C. Scott version and usually several other versions as well. I read the book a year and a half ago, and decided I liked the George C. Scott version better, but only because I believe it has been drilled into my head from repetition. We even have the Mr. Magoo version on VHS.

Regarding the meaning of Scrooge, I believe that the book assigned the meaning to the name. In other words if you looked up Scrooge in the dictionary prior to Dickens publishing the book in 1843, Scrooge would have meant nothing. Apparently the Christmas Carol did much to make Christmas into a much larger holiday. The Wikipedia article on The Christmas Carol is quite informative:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christ...

Moulee Ebenzer

Larry Cant beat the old b/w version!

Joanne I love a good story of redemption, Ebenezer is a favorite. I like the old movie with Alastair Sim as Scrooge. Jacob Marley may have had the best line: "Mankind was my business."

Larry Oliver Twist is another good one! But please, not the musical!

Joanne Never, I detest musicals.

Larry I keep meaning to hit 'Like' ;)

message 23: by Mr.B (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mr.B Rose wrote: "I compare books to movies as well. Probelm is the book is almost always better. Has anyone seen the movie version with George C. Scott. It was wonderful.
The only two movies I thought were bette..."

Lots of films are better than the book: Dances with Wolves, Forrest Gump, and Big Fish were all considerable improvements on their respective books. In general, however, books and films are not the same experiences and really shouldn't be compared to one another. A film's short length makes it virtually impossible to produce the equivalent of a book. And a book's static presentation makes it difficult to compete with the dynamic nature of a film. You might PREFER the book version of a story to a film version of the same story, or vice versa, but usually comparing them is futile--like apples and oranges.

Larry Spot on Mr B!

Mayang Rizky Ebenezer!

message 26: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim Ebenezer, of coursae. I read this book every year. Like aspects of all of the movie versions, but overall the one with Alister Sim is my favorite, followed by the George C. Scott one, and even the Patrick Stewart. Have not, I am sad to say, seen the Muppet version, although I plan to this year. As far as books vs. movies, there are precious few in which the movie is better than the book. I'd say "The Shawshank Redemption" is one, plus, the old Western, "The Professionals." Fun thread, this.

message 27: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary H. Ebenezer! Just seems to fit the character so well doesn't it!

Sarah Janeen-san wrote: "I like the book, too! Strangely enough, the most recent version of the movie is the most accurate, and it was after seeing it I decided to read the book, which I liked very much."

I very much liked the Scrooge with Albert Finney. I love the music and the effects were really great.

Daniel EBENEZER

Sarah I haven't read the book but, I plan on reading it.

message 31: by Nada (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nada Come on! Anyone who read the book can answer it! o.O

Kelci Ebeneezer is so much fun to say!!! (:3

Shane Just Google it if you don't know.

Geoffrey If you say his name three times and tap your toes together, you will be visited tonight by the Ghost of Christmas Past.

Joanne I'd rather have a Christmas present.

message 36: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill I like all the film versions of A Christmas Carol but the George C Scott one is my favourite because it was filmed in my home town. I watch every version that's on (well OK not the Muppets version!) every year.

Molly Sabrina wrote: "i need to now it know plz answer me"

ebeneezer

Shikha Sabrina wrote: "i need to now it know plz answer me"

Ebenzeer Scrooge

Romisa Ebeneezer Scrooge

Denise Henry wrote: "My wife is a Christmas Carol groupie. Every year we watch George C. Scott version and usually several other versions as well. I read the book a year and a half ago, and decided I liked the George ..."

Ha! My husband is also a groupie! I think I've watched about 9 versions of the story and we own 6 of them!

Charbel I'm thinking... Ebeneezer

Whisper Pines Ebeneezer... the mean one

message 43: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Ebeneezer

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Ebenezer

Jaime When I think of good ole' Ebeneezer Scrooge, I think of a repented sinner who has seen the error of his ways.

Allan Luna I think that many parents, especially in olden times, would give their children names that they hoped would influence their lives in a positive manner. In Scrooge's case, rock of help. All except the ones that named their son "Sue" of course.

message 47: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate Diffley Ebenezer

message 48: by Ebenezer (new)

Ebenezer <3 my name :-)

message 49: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom I'd suggest checking out Dickens' other Christmas stories. I recently read/listened to The Cricket on the Hearth and The Chimes and I thought both were quite good. I've yet to read The Battle Of Life and The Haunted Man, but will save those for next holiday season.

Larry Ebeneezer it is