Falco and Associates discussion

Salve > Salve and hello and all

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jehsika) | 1 comments Mod
Huzzah! Hullo Isidore! Now we have a second member, the first of many more I hope. Membership is open to all. Anyone can post books to the group bookshelf, so feel free to add all the ancient Rome mystery goodness of which you can think! Post website suggestions, book suggestions, movie suggestions (hey, did you see HBO's Rome? wow, that was some racy stuff, hm?), or ask questions or whatever!

Welcome!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 8 comments I added a few books to the shelf. I really enjoyed Medicus and am looking forward to its sequel. The Saylor books are a favorite here, although my mother prefers the Falco books.

message 3: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1 comments Isidore, I am right there with you! Me and my friends locked ourselves in our dorm rooms and watched all of Rome in probably a week. Needless to say out school work didn't get done... although we could talk about Rome like it was second nature.
I'm so glad Susanna directed me to this group. I'm currently earning my BA in History, and Rome is my concentration. I blame my Classical Civ teacher for all my reading problems...She LOVES Saylor, and I must say I do to. Falco has to be a close second though. Something about the Roman gumshoe that makes these books worth it... and trust me, I'm not one to enjoy reading.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Foxley (mackles01) | 1 comments Hi everyone,

Can I suggest David Wishart's Marcus Corvinus series? Very enjoyable. Also a Roman murder mystery series set at the other end of the Empire that I quite enjoy is the one by Rosemary Rowe.

message 5: by Cynthiaj (new)

Cynthiaj | 11 comments OK. I just found the group because I have really just found Falco. I have finished Silver Pigs and Shadows in Bronze. And now I am on tenterhooks waiting for my local library to finish reclassifying (or whatever they are doing) the next one. I have to "blame" my sister for this one as she recommended Silver Pigs. Of course, she introduced me to goodreads in the first place. Anyway, here I am now and am looking forward to hearing about everyone's thoughts on Marcus and Helena. BTW Kara how are the studies going? I am a professor at the community college so should scold you, but I really liked Rome as well.

message 6: by Colin (new)

Colin | 1 comments Cynthia,

I know the feeling after reading Falco...
You could buy them used online too.

I have been dying to unwind some thoughts on this series but I am afraid any commentary on the characters will ruin some of the plots moving forward for you. So I am going to shut my lip and let you (all) enjoy. I wish Lindsay would write faster!

message 7: by Cynthiaj (new)

Cynthiaj | 11 comments Any faster and I'll never catch up. She's already got is it 19 out there.

In general I am not a fan of younger relatives showing up to help the plot along but I like Larius on the trip in Shadows in Bronze. It should be interesting now that she really has disposed of Pertinax which characters show in the next books.

message 8: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 9 comments I came late to Lindsey Davis and her Falco series. I loved them all. I am now reading Ruth Downie which is also murder-mystery with a Roman doctor-soldier as the sleuth. I still miss Falco, but I'm coming to like Gaius a lot.

message 9: by Cynthiaj (new)

Cynthiaj | 11 comments Realizing there was a new post in the thread, I came over and was reading a few posts back to try to remember what was going on. Not only have I "caught up" but am anxiously awaiting another. My LL does not have the first in the Rosemary Rowe series and I am too poor to invest in a lengthy series. I will have to see if they have Ruth Downie. BTW. Welcome Kirby. Always glad to have someone else to talk to about Marcus Didius and crew.

message 10: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 9 comments I hope you can get ahold of Ruth Downie's series. It is fun to read, but Ruso is not Falco. It's for the best. You won't be comparing them.

message 11: by Cynthiaj (new)

Cynthiaj | 11 comments So who is feeling a little "cheated" that Davis' next (Ides of April) is going to focus not on Marcus but the adoptive daughter? Although I am also interested to see the next "generation" of characters she brings to us. Oh the dichotomy that is my life...

message 12: by Peter (new)

Peter | 1 comments I haven't read the last couple of Falco books. I had no idea. I'll miss him.

message 13: by Cynthiaj (new)

Cynthiaj | 11 comments Peter: I cannot say that Davis has given up on Marcus completely, but the next one deals with Albia. I have been impatiently waiting for another "mystery with Marcus" so am a little bummed. Still, will try to reserve judgment until I actually get a chance to read the new one.

message 14: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 9 comments We all miss the lovable Falco. I'm getting the next book with Albia in it, but I'll still miss Falco.

message 15: by Cynthiaj (new)

Cynthiaj | 11 comments Looking back after two Albia books. I quite like her. Albia is strongly influenced by Marcus and Helena but definitely has her own style. Still, if Lindsey would bring us another Marcus it would be grand.

message 16: by Cynthiaj (new)

Cynthiaj | 11 comments Book 3 with Albia was even better. Still looking for another Marcus though.

message 17: by Assaph (new)

Assaph Mehr | 5 comments Salve omnibus!

I absolutely love Falco. Davis has rekindled my love for ancient Rome with her books. I've also enjoyed Gordianus the Finder very much - just in case anyone on this group hasn't heard of him (fat change ;).

In fact, I love them so much that I had the character of my book (Murder in-absentia) work in his youth for the company of Gordius et Falconius as an homage.

If anyone knows of other detectives worthy of Falco and Gordianus, I'd love to know!

message 18: by Cynthiaj (new)

Cynthiaj | 11 comments Ruth Downie has a nice series with Medicus. Not Falco, but nice. I haven't had a chance to read the Rosemarie Rowe others have mentioned.

message 19: by Assaph (new)

Assaph Mehr | 5 comments Would anyone mind if I create more discussions threads for each of the "associates"?
I'm particularly interested in reviews of other series (like Medicus mentioned by Cynthia). I'd rather concentrate my reading time one the good stuff... ;)

message 20: by Cynthiaj (new)

Cynthiaj | 11 comments I doubt anyone would mind. (I do not.) But this thread usually gets little action as it is. Unfortunate, but true. We tend to be most active when Davis brings out a new book...

message 21: by Assaph (new)

Assaph Mehr | 5 comments Well, let's keep things lively :-)
A new Gordianus novel is just out - something I'd be happy to discuss (as soon as I read it - don't want spoilers ;)