Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Fictionalized versions of true crime stories

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Jessica Certain true crimes seem to be particularly inspiring to fiction writers. Jack the Ripper is probably the most popular for that treatment. The Moors Murders also seem to have struck a chord with crime fiction writers -- I know there is a fairly new book based on Myra Hindley, and Val McDermid has taken it on, while it figures heavily in the background of Peter Robinson's detective stories.

Have other actual crimes inspired fiction you've encountered? How did those books compare with non-fiction accounts? Are there novels to seek out or avoid like the plague?

message 2: by Jessica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Jessica Sorry about the multiple posting, folks. My computer was hanging there, and I tried to cancel, to no avail. If the moderator can delete the two extra threads, that would be great.

message 3: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 20 comments There's Pamela Smart, who inspired at least two fictionalized versions I can think of offhand: To Die For by Joyce Maynard and The Longings of Women by Marge Piercy. (There's a non-fiction TV movie of the story, of course, called Murder in New Hampshire, with Helen Hunt playing Pamela Smart.)

message 4: by Sonky (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:04PM) (new)

Sonky | 7 comments Hi Fellow Obsessed,

These are cool recommendations. I'm afraid that unfortunatey your recommendations will be buried here in discussion land.

When you have a book or topic you think would interest everyone in the group, why not add it to the group's book list as To-Read?

Looking forward to more of your good ideas,

Jason

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.