You Imagine discussion

everything marketing / promotion > Do an email signature

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karey (last edited May 01, 2008 05:10PM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) | 205 comments Mod
Here you go, Jim. A thread on promotion. This might sound weird, but I'm going to start with the email signature. Robert Allen and Richard Paul Evans taught me how amazingly important it is.

Here's an example to show why: Last week I spoke with two professionals in the book industry. I spoke with the first while in my car, and the second while doubled over at the pharmacy to get some anti-nausea meds. (Little did I know I was going to end up in the ER with appendicitis in an hour.) So, from my cell phone, I mentioned to both of them that I had sent them emails regarding Book Expo America. Each of them said basically, "Oh, really? Here, let me look at your email."

I hear fingers typing away, looking up my very short (short is good) email, and then clicking on the links to my websites that were on my signature. They both want to find out more as a result. Do an email signature. They work!

message 2: by Karey (last edited Apr 30, 2008 07:02AM) (new)

I just put together a sample of an email signature for you. To see it, send an email to:

email.signature@gmail.com.

It's set up so that you'll get an auto response from me right away. I haven't tested it, though. I've used my own signature on the page, but you'll get the idea.

Let me know if you have questions or other ideas!
~Karey

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim I got your e-mail. No problems there. It is a little on the long side but I get the idea. I've already been including my blog address and my website but I hadn't thought of adding blurb as such. I'll have a think about it.

I think one of the main problems is that you can do quite nice footers with HTML but you can't be sure that your recipient has his e-mail application set up that way.

message 4: by Karey (new)

I know it's kind of long, but it works! I've tried making it shorter, but when contacting people in the publishing industry, they want to see the long version, according to Robert G. Allen who suggested that I do it this way.

message 5: by KyleeJ (new)

KyleeJ (kylees-journal) Karey-

I've used your idea for promoting my book blog in my e-mail signature. Thanks for the tip. =)

message 6: by Karey (new)

Glad it worked, Kylee. It's a small thing that makes a big difference!