You Imagine discussion

If you were to write a book, what kind would it be?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Karey (last edited May 08, 2008 07:13AM) (new)

Karey (kareyshane) | 205 comments Mod
Romance? Horror? Non-Fiction? Children's lit? Young Adult Fantasy? Inspirational? Come on, what would it be?

message 2: by Talia (new)

Talia I'd write a travel book. I've been blessed with being able to travel and I'd like to write about the places I've been. Maybe turn my travel journals into a book.

message 3: by Clare (new)

Clare | 3 comments I would write a novel about a teenage girl.

message 4: by Kingsley (last edited Apr 29, 2008 08:10AM) (new)

Kingsley V. (kvmbooks) | 2 comments Writers can only write good books when it covers a genre/subject they themselves like to read.

In my case, for fiction, the victimized genres would be fantasy or sci-fi (any subgenre). My first two books, "Scion of the Dark Moon," and the as yet unpublished "After the Fall: Resurrection," fall into those catagories.

For non-fiction, I would only consider writing a history book, since that has always been a hobby of mine and I minored in it in college. Then again, I've never had the time to research enough to write an entire book on any point in history!

Kingsley V. Montgomery
http://www.kvmbooks.com

message 5: by KyleeJ (new)

KyleeJ (kylees-journal) Mine would most likely be a cozy. More of a 'classic' cozy not one of the niche cozies, though I love to read them. =)

message 6: by Toni (new)

Toni (tvsweeney) | 17 comments Since I've already written 28 books and had 8 of them published (11 come this Christmas), that answers moot for me, but I never doubted what kind I wanted to write. The first book I ever wrote, back in college, was science fiction. The second one a horror novel, the third one...you get the idea. Even my romances have futuristic elements!

message 7: by Talia (new)

Talia I seem to have a problem organizing my thoughts into something cohesive. I tend to journal like I talk, jumping from one topic to another. Plus, I'm working on my MBA, which takes up a lot of my time. Thanks for the encouragement, though.

message 8: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 1 comments Like Toni, (although I have not written anywhere near what she has written) My writing is always sci-fi adventure with a strong woman of mythical proportions. I had to learn how to add the romance element.
I tried writing children's books, mysteries, and other genres. I blew it big time.
So I am "doomed" to write sci-fi adventure.
Charlene

message 9: by Talia (new)

Talia Kingsley,
I've always loved sci-fi and your books sound interesting. What's the synopsis?

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (camillalynnauthor) | 17 comments Hi all! I'm new to your group. Love it and had to ring in.
Since I already wrote one, which is an Egyptian Time-Travel Fantasy Novel with lots of Egyptian demons, Gods, Goddesses, adventure, romance, & a touch of mystery, I'd have to say the second one in the series would be next. :) The second book in the trilogy is about how the Egyptian Gods escaped from the sinking continent of Atlantis. Book three is a modern day Egyptian Armageddon with demons roaming the modern world. Lately though, I've been working on the set for the first story because I'm converting it into a Graphic Novel using DAZ3D (a great little free program!).
Always looking for encouragement and critiques though.
Lynn

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) I love to write mysteries--they make you get in the characters head and see what goes on. I love romantic suspense as well--everyone needs a bit of romance. I write humor as well as it is a great healer for what ever ails you. I have a mystery I have written due to be published this summer.

message 12: by Pauline (new)

Pauline (paulinebairdjones) | 5 comments I was just recently invited to the group, in fact just a few minutes ago! This is a tough question for me, because I've already written and published eight novels and have two non-fiction books releasing this summer. And I'm kind of all over the place on genres. But then, I've always liked to read a lot of different genres.

I've written comedy suspense. Mystery suspense. Action adventure time travel and recently launched into space with a science fiction romance action adventure.

For me, I have to be passionate about the characters and the story I'm trying to tell, then I figure out the genre when I'm done. I'm lucky that my small press/indie publishers will follow me and my muse where we need to go. :-)

message 13: by Karey (last edited Apr 30, 2008 06:24AM) (new)

So wait, Lynn, how about if you put a link up so we can look at your book? Just look in the upper right hand side of this page to see how to do it.
~Karey

message 14: by Ainsley Jo (new)

Ainsley Jo (aj1952chats) | 1 comments I've been slowly working on a non-fiction book that's autobiographical and covers a period of my life from my college and graduate school years into my mid-twenties with some details included leading up to this time as well as showing how my life has been affected by some of the stuff that went on back then even to this day.

The books I've written so far have mostly been non-fiction and personal experience with some volumes of my poetry thrown in here and there.

I've written separate pieces in a variety of genres and for various age groups.

message 15: by J.L. (new)

J.L. (jlpowers) | 1 comments I agree with Kingsley--you have to love the kinds of books you want to write, otherwise, it'll never work. I love y.a. and my first y.a. book was published by Knopf last year. Since then, I've written one more and am finishing up the third. So definitely y.a. I'll keep writing y.a., I hope, until the day I die. But I also have to say that I'm a huge fan of adult nonfiction, and I'm starting a nonfiction book that is sending me off to S. Africa this summer on the hunt for the information I need.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Sawatsky | 16 comments Mod
Well, I am at the beginning of my writing career, with a few publications in journals an anthologies. I am working on my first poetry manuscript, which is slowly deciding what it wants to be.

Like many of you, I enjoy and write in a variety of genres. Although poetry is where my heart is, I would love to try my hand at young adult or non-fiction. As for loving the books I want to write, I have dubbed When I Was Young and In My Prime by Alayna Munce as "the book I wish I wrote" ;-) Perhaps I will end up joining a literary conversation with her.

message 17: by Peter (new)

Peter | 1 comments I like to write books that do two things: entertain and teach or provoke. I enjoy reading historical fiction. I am considering a book called COMRADE LOLITA. It will focus on the Puerto Rican nationalists who tried to assassinate Harry Truman and shoot up the House of representatives. Why did they do it? What did they hope to gain? Does their act relate in some way to the terrorist attacks on NY. Entertaining, I hope, provocative, and educational all at once.

message 18: by Laila (new)

Laila | 3 comments I thought of writing a book before, but never got to the details part until I got invited to join "You imagine" - BTW: Thank you so much Karey :)
My book will be a fiction one, but an inspiritional one, too. One that gets you thinking and analysing yourself compared to the main character who I think will be more of a girl-next-door type, only with extreme situations happening to her, you know, the kind that brings out the best and worse in you...What do you think? Too Grey's anatomy?

message 19: by Laila (last edited Apr 29, 2008 01:22PM) (new)

Laila | 3 comments Hi Lynn. I didn't read your book, but I will if you take Karey's advice down here and poste a link- And if you wanna come to Egypt one day, well, you wouldn't need to worry about a place to stay :)

message 20: by Mary Angela (new)

Mary Angela (rindunica) One day, i'll write a satire. What can i say, i loved Candide. :)

message 21: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Fantasy!
Epic or high fantasy. With deep, well developed characters and relationships, an intricate and involving plot, plenty of conflict and a world worth exploring.
I would aspire to write the kind of fantasy I love to read.

message 22: by Eddie (new)

Eddie Rose (eddierose) | 3 comments Psychological-thriller!!

I always have great interest in psychology. I took my first degree in psychology, and now I'm working on getting my master in counseling psychology.

I wrote about 24 psychological-thriller novel (none has the end, couldn't finish those at all), with some romance in it, legal stuff and spiritual matter as well. So, I'll write (and finish!) some novel with psychological matter as main idea....

message 23: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1 comments I've written books and they always tend to the inspirational. It doesn't start off that way, but somehow my Thrillers always are mixed with a sprinkle of Inspiration.

message 24: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieking) | 8 comments Greetings All of You!

I have enjoyed reading all your comments....Pamela...I think you might like something I have written, The Life in the Wood with Joni-Pip.....you might not obviously....but it is fantasy, with a decent plot I am told....and at present it is being read by Best Selling Author, R.J. Ellory (A Quiet Belief in Angels)....I am trying to persuade him to join this site....he says he is loving it.....oh well...I must press on I have another two books to write...whose idea was it for me to write a Trilogy, anyway?

All of you have a book in you (I am not talking to Published Authors here, of course), so get writing and then get read!

Carrie King

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethfehlbaum) | 3 comments I am currently at work on the sequel to my debut novel, Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse.
I write from a place of truth deep within myself. Isn't it said that most writers' first novel is semi-autobiographical? My book is definitely fiction in many ways...but it has been described as "everyone's story", too.
It's not an autobiography as a memoir any more than anyone else's would be, but it is gritty, realistic fiction. I think of myself as Chris Crutcher's female counterpart....
Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
Chapter One is online!

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments The story in my mind right now is called "Whispers" and is more than anything else a mystery I suppose, but depending how I develope the narrators place in the story it might fall into different genres before I am done.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6 comments I have already published two mystery novels, Genesis Beach and Just North of Luck, so I have to say mystery is my favorite. I do read outside the genre, however, in order to keep my own writing fresh. A mystery with plenty of suspense (and few giggles thrown in for good measure) makes me very happy.

message 28: by Natalia (new)

Natalia Johnson (natalia413) | 2 comments I would definitely write about the paranormal or something in the supernatural genre. I have in fact started on two books. One is no further than the prologue and the other is into chapter 3. The one I have gotten farther on is set to be for young adults and includes the Fae and Faerie Realm. The other is the start of a vampire novel. Kind of have writers block on that one because those have been done so much and I want this one to be different. It will definitely be set as an adult novel. I need to spruce up my history a bit. Its hard for me to find time with having kids, work, and other hobbies.

message 29: by Karey (last edited Apr 30, 2008 06:24AM) (new)

Hi Laila, I don't think it's too Grey's Anatamy at all. I think Grey's Anatomy is so wildly successful because you're dealing with a classic character archetype, and it works. With your own character and story line it could be something wonderful. And BTW: You're welcome! Glad you joined!

Glad you've all joined for that matter!
~karey

message 30: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 2 comments My first book was a resource text for teachers to help them bring multicultural poetry into middle school classrooms. But if, no when, I write my second book, it's either going to be a collection of poems or a memoir. I'm working on both right now so it all depends on which one I finish first and which one finds a publisher first.

message 31: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (elysedraper) | 1 comments I've been blessed with the opportunity to write what I want thus far. "Voices of Autism" will be out in June...non-fiction support compilation for families and care providers dealing with autism. “Free Will” a YA novel following the life of a young woman, Ellie, through her life, and passage into the ethereal world…introducing fantasy, history, and the paranormal. The sequel to “Free Will”… “Consequences”, is now in the works.

message 32: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 1 comments I would love to write an autobiography. I think we sometimes forget that we have lived stories and some of those stories might just be...amazing!

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) I am having a go at writing Christian Romantic Suspense. :) My problem is I have a ton of ideas and don't want to be branded to a specific genre. :)

message 34: by Mockingbird (new)

Mockingbird | 9 comments Non-fiction. Something to help people find hope when life gets hard. It's easy to write about something you're passionate about!

message 35: by Soumya (new)

Soumya I don't know what type of book i would like to write if i were to become an author. I like all kinds of genres.
Soumya

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 2 comments Hi everyone,

I'm new to discussion groups and not sure how to post messages. But I would write a mystery/thriller/time traveler novel with familial themes like Mirror of Danger, which I recently re-read as an adult, and which made me cry and cry! I don't know exactly why.

message 37: by Karey (last edited May 01, 2008 01:35AM) (new)

Welcome to our discussion group, Lisa. Your message was posted just right. We hope to hear more from you!

How would you define "familial themes?"

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) Susan I visited your site and saw the 2 books I am definitely going to look for them and check them out.

How do you find writing a series. I started a second book after I got the first one written but I am find ing it hard to do anything with it It seems so trite and Cliche, I ve decided to put it to bed for now and work on another unrelated mystery about someone with no sense of humor knocking off stand up comedians.

message 39: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Sounds interesting Carrie, and congrats on getting a 'real' author to read it for you. That is an important step and one often difficult, if not impossible, for new authors.

As to whose idea was the trilogy? Probably your characters! LOL, at least that is who told ME this book was 'only the beginning'

Good Writing

message 40: by Stan (new)

Stan (stan72) | 5 comments Mod
I'd like to write a book that a lot of people read and that either brings them a lot of enjoyment or meaning or helps them change their perspective on life in a positive way. I have started and never finished a couple of novels that I hoped would meet this criteria. Its about time that I got something done!

message 41: by Peter (new)

Peter Gubin | 1 comments I am writing a book on the adoption reform movement. If I discuss it at lenght here then there will be no need to write the book. I am happy to discuss it privately with anyone interested in the topic.

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6 comments Karen, I actually started Just North of Luck while I was struggling with Genesis Beach. It just seemed to make sense to continue with Logan Hunter as the protag since I liked her so much and had plenty more I wanted her to get into. Your idea sounds great. Let me know how that goes.

message 43: by Mockingbird (new)

Mockingbird | 9 comments To Stan,

It IS about time! If you already have the desire to write, and you've obviously put a lot of time into it already--starting and finishing a couple of novels--perhaps you're like most writers, who find the "getting published" or "who-would-want-to-read-what-I-wrote" obstacle to be the biggest challenge.

Stay posted on this site. It seems K.S.R. Kingworth is really generous with her ideas, and creating a forum, on how to overcome those challenges.

You can do it!

message 44: by Nohely (new)

Nohely Koeyers I'm very interested into the minds of people and also travelling. I'd combine the two of them.
A travel story with friends, etc.

message 45: by Michele (new)

Michele Lee (featheredzebra) | 14 comments I've written several at this point, some of which are rather embarrassing. But I have a dark urban fantasy with a crime angle novel that I'm trying to get an agent for and I'm working on another urban fantasy right now. (Well, not right now. Right now I'm eating lunch and reading mail :D )

message 46: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carrieking) | 8 comments Thanks Pamela and Good Writing to you, too!

message 47: by Katy (new)

Katy (katy-pillar) | 3 comments im actually working on my first story. (im not really brave enough to call it a book yet) but its fantasy. my biggest problem is writting anything but my currant story. short stories and stuff, ive tried doing that for class and they never turn out good.

message 48: by Lynn (last edited May 03, 2008 04:40AM) (new)

Lynn (camillalynnauthor) | 17 comments Karey,
The book hasn't been published so the only place to find it is right here in my writing on Good Reads. There are 9 chapters posted and I have to stop there because chapter 10 is a bit questionable as far as 'content' is concerned. Let me see if I can link up to it right
Ra's Warrior
I haven't had many people even ask so this is a bit of a shock to my system. I'd love to see it published one day, but my prose writing skills aren't nearly as good as my graphic script skills, but I don't have an artist to work with and I certainly don't have $$ to pay someone. :( So if anyone knows an artist who's unknown and wants to work on a project or two to see where it leads, send them my way. Ra is my baby, but I have been working on a comic called Nytrix (my own creation as well) and could very well start with it rather than Ra. Wish I could draw more than just stick figures. lol

Laila,
I'd love to visit Egypt, more than anything, but for now I have to see it through photographs. We own our own company so getting vacation time & funding my dream trip are a bit difficult for now. One day though, I may just take you up on your offer. When you read Ra's Warrior, please tell me how close I came to describing the real Cairo. I'm a stickler for accuracy, which can be my downfall at times. To be honest, I'm in desperate need of some pictures of the Giza Plateau & the city that I can use in my GN instead of having to build a model of Giza & Cairo (which is near impossible).

I'd love to hear everyone's input on my story.

Brightest blessings,
Lynn

message 49: by Lynn (last edited May 03, 2008 04:38AM) (new)

Lynn (camillalynnauthor) | 17 comments Don't know if links work for photos, but I'm going to give it a go. Here are some of the things I'm working on in 3D for Ra's Warrior. They're not bad, but I think a real artist would bring out the best in my story.

Giza with City
Giza with City from angle.
MC Andrea

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) right now it's stalled and I don't know what to do with it. Here's a bit of a spoiler for ya: In dead on arrival Laura (protag) finds the body of a former coworker in her living room things get whacky when she gets stalked by his probable killer and told to stay out of it --She is also being pursued romantically by a "little person". Case gets solved eventually. In Dead greedy(current w.i.p.) --again she has the knack of finding her neighbor dead floating in her cereal. Neighbor is 80 something involved with an old flame, only his goldigging wife really hates this idea. Laura and her b/f are co-manageing the apt building were they live. Laura is starting to suspect that the golddigger might have had someting to do with the old lady's demise. Not sure how to handle this one. Meanwhile Laura has other issues as her gay exhusband is hired at her other job (restaurant manager)AM I getting too much happening here? It's supposed to be a light romantic comedy suspense.

« previous 1