Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

suggestions > The Sword of Truth Series

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Has anyone else read these books?

I'm totally ... enamored ... with them. I was looking for something less SciFi and more Fantasy after reading the last Harry Potter, and a guy at Borders suggested these. It's like a more mature wizardry story, meets the epic qualities of Lord of the Rings.

-Each book is almost as long as the entire LOTR series.
-There are something like 11 books in the series.
-There are no "time lapses" like in other long series... each book begins where the last one left off.
-There's no singular enemy throughout the series, like Harry Potter's Voldemort...

I just wanted to maybe talk about them with someone else who has read them.... is anyone out there as "in love" with these books as I am? Or am I disillusioned into reading the same fantasy-drivel that is pretty much copied over and over again?

--Kyle

message 2: by Rachael (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Rachael | 2 comments I might have to check those out!

message 3: by Rob (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:40PM) (new)

Rob | 19 comments I read most of the series, with exception of the last two books. The last two are on my TBR list. I didn't like the first book in the series, but I REALLY got into the following books! I love his villians. These are people that are easily loathed and usually get what's coming to them...
I also enjoy his characters and their development in the books. The do go through serious changes and each story heavily impacts their personality.

On a separate note, I've seen Goodkind in interviews. Just YouTube him. Goodkind sorta loses me whenever he speaks (and that's put it kindly). I've heard that he doesn't consider his works to be fantasy? I say "whatever" - you can't put lipstick on a pig, as they say. I still think he does quality work. That being said, I try NOT to read too hard into his story's meaning/intent or messages. I just take the books at face value.

message 4: by Carl (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:41PM) (new)

Carl | 38 comments I've only read the novella prequel, I think called Debt of Bones or something like that-- which didn't impress me enough to get me running for the book store to read the series, but I do want to get to them some day. I'll have to check out the interviews with him-- I like it when authors are capable of intelligently discussing their work.

message 5: by Lbd (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Lbd | 3 comments I just finished "Phantom". Not his best, and a bit too much with the abuse and violence. I have enjoyed this series, and I'm looking forward to reading the conclusion "Confessor".

message 6: by Rooster (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Rooster | 1 comments I have read all of them and love most of them, but I have to say that I barely got through Phantom - Goodkind's almost constant use of rape as a plot device left a sour taste in my mouth....I will of course read "Confessor" as I am a complete-ist and much finish any series I start. I will try to revisit them after the series if over to see if maybe I can get around the problems I have had with the last couple of books.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The novella is terrible. Check out the real series!

And I thought the end of the series was much better than the middle...

message 8: by Violaceous (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Violaceous | 4 comments I enjoyed the first three or four books in this series. In fact I think I read them all back to back but I think the plot has grown thin almost book by book. That said, his characterizations are wonderful, and up through Soul of The Fire it was interesting to see Richard come to terms with his powers.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about 1/3 of the way through "Confessor", the last book that came out on Tuesday, and so far I'm impressed.

Goodkind got rid of the repetitive story-telling (for the most part), and once you get past the first chapter or so, it's very high paced.

I would suggest all the "haters" of Goodkind give it a try. Much like the last Harry Potter book, this could prove to be the best book in the series.

--Kyle

message 10: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Caroline I've been reading the Sword of Truth novels since they first were released, and despite the obvious flaws in the series as a whole...I've really enjoyed the ride.

Looking forward to reading Confessor, but as always I'm in the middle of something else so it'll have to wait a week or so. I was glad to see the final "trilogy" upped the standards of the series again, as it did seem to flag for a while towards the middle. Richard gets a little tiresome at times (we get it, Richard. You're always right), but overall great stuff!

Kyle: Another series you might enjoy is The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. So far only the first, The Name of the Wind, has been released, but so far it's turning out to be a great series for fans of Harry Potter. It's a much more adult novel, of course, and it deals with a more "practical" style of magic as well as a magic school.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Caroline: Oh, really? I'll have to check it out... after I finish my current "queue" of books of course. Thanks!

--Kyle

message 12: by Travis (new)

Travis | 6 comments I enjoyed them for the most part. Of course I never did finish the series....It seemed to get repetitive and I caught myself snickering several times at, imo, a weak plot twist. So I stopped reading the series. I may have to plow through them though if the ending is as good as some of you say.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Travis: You should try and finish it. It does get repetitive and dull in the middle of it... but believe me: it picks up again. The books where Richard disappears and they talk more in depth about the Communism vs. Capitalism... those are terrible. But immediately after those 2 (or 3?) books, the series snaps back to what it's good at, and then finishes triumphantly in the last 2 books.

It's worth trudging through them. Most definitely.

--Kyle

message 14: by Shannon (Giraffe Days) (last edited Jan 03, 2008 01:03PM) (new)

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (Giraffe_Days) I started this series years ago, and my opinion on the series has to be broken down book by book, sorry:

1. Wizard's First Rule: absolutely loved it.
2. Stone of Tears: also good - though I couldn't help notice the similarities between it and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.
3. Blood of the Fold: very disappointing and dull. Never re-read this one.
4. Temple of the Winds: back to form with this one.
5. Soul of the Fire: interesting direction for the overall plot to take, but the first sign of Richard's horrible personality trait of refusing to help people who don't agree with him.
6. Faith of the Fallen: the most interesting of them all, in so far as I used it in my dissertation on fantasy fiction as an example of unquestioned political and religious ideology (in particular the general American views on Communism, which seem to be designed merely to endorse Capitalism and are often founded on blatant ignorance), and a reflection of such prejudices etc. As a story I really enjoyed it, but at the same time I wanted to throw it against the wall, stomp on it and then set fire to it. Except I never vandalise books.
7. The Pillars of Creation: goes off on a tangent and follows Richard's half-sister, using her as a new pair of eyes through which to see Richard's greatness.
8. Naked Empire: easily one of the most offensive in the series, except for Faith, it's also ridiculously repetitive. Makes me think Goodkind fired his editor, or that his editor is not very good at their job. Lots of recapping, lots of "Richard is the best", lots of black-and-white categorising. Not impressed.
9. Chainfire: I do not even remember what this one is about.
10. Phantom: Khalan is kidnapped and everyone's forgotten she even existed except for Richard. First attempt at an intriguing new sub-plot, but the repetitiveness continues, and I've lost all respect for Richard.
12. Confessor: haven't read this one yet. Isn't there another? Actually, I lost the plot at Phantom and am no longer sure whether I've even read it. Which is the one where Khalan is kidnapped? Have I missed a book somewhere? They're all starting to blur...

What started out so promising and original slipped into cliches, then black-and-white propaganda that degenerated into farce. Shame, though if you want to understand Bush-style American political policy and why so many there support the current war etc., it's not a bad place to start.

Haven't bothered with the prequel.

message 15: by Kristjan (new)

Kristjan (BookTroll) Excellent comments Shannon :) I made it up to Soul of the Fire (5) before abandoning this series. It had some interesting concepts, but they just couldn't overcome my utter contempt for the protagonist. Your review had me ROFL ... especially this part ... "As a story I really enjoyed it, but at the same time I wanted to throw it against the wall, stomp on it and then set fire to it. Except I never vandalise books."

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, Shannon and Kristjan, I agree.

I pushed thru Soul of Fire/Faith of the Fallen/Pillars of Creation to get back to the series. I was hoping he came back around to it, and he eventually did.

But, at the same time, I definitely had "throw the book" moments.

--Kyle

message 17: by Rob (new)

Rob | 19 comments Shannon nice post. You've para-phrased most of my feelings on his books. Good call on "Faith" as well. His politics bog down the books so much that I can't read them anymore. Shame because he a had a good thing going.

message 18: by Elton (new)

Elton Gahr | 2 comments I've recently finished the series and while I generally enjoyed it, I can't say I was overwhelmed by the ending. that is to say, three days after i finished it i couldn't remember if I had actually finished it so went back and reread the last couple chapters.
While the series had probably been stretched to much the end seemed to quick, and the solution to everything just seemed to simple.
that isn't to say i didn't like it, or wouldn't suggest you read it, just that I wish the end had a little more punch.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Elton: Really? I *loved* the ending! I thought it was long, but necessary like the end of the movie version of LOTR Return of the King.

I'm not suggesting it was the best ever written, but definitely better than some... most notably the ending for "Deathly Hollows" by JK Rowling.

--Kyle

message 20: by Elton (new)

Elton Gahr | 2 comments Trying not to spoil anything makes it difficult to explain. I liked most of the ending, it was really what happened to the order that didn't work that well for me.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) (Giraffe_Days) I haven't finished the series yet, am waiting for the last book to come out in paperback, and to be honest I can't remember if I've got two books left to read or only one!

Kyle! What was wrong with the ending to Harry Potter? Oh, do you mean the silly epilogue? It was a little trite, but I loved how she wrapped up the entire series.

Thanks Rob. It turned out to be pretty disappointing, after such a strong start. Fascinating, though, from a more academic perspective...

message 22: by AuntZue (new)

AuntZue I've read them all and loved them...let me know if you've read the last one Confessor...I was kinda disappointed at the end - not about the story, but about an underlying "lecture" the author couldn't resist OR may have had in mind throughout the whole series. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag for those who haven't finished it yet.