Totally Trashy discussion

What are some of the trashiest books you've read?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 41 comments Mod
Reading Audrina made me think about what other trashy books I've read and also, I guess, what makes a book "trashy." It's kind of hard to define and I think it varies by person. I don't consider all romance novels (not that I've read many) trashy, but romance novels that are poorly written and have no story line just lots of bodice ripping, that seems trashy to me (not that that's a bad thing!) By the same token, I don't consider "chick lit" trashy for the most part but there are some pretty trashy chick lit books out there-again, lots of sex, little story line, no real character development etc.

Here's a question-are trashy books ever well written?

Here are two trashy books that come to mind-

The Kiss by Kathryn Harrison was pretty trashy- a woman who grew up not knowing her father begins a love affair with him as an adult-and yes, it's a memoir! The only bad thing is that in addition to be trashy it's pretty depressing as well. A total train wreck.

The Accidental Virgin by Valerie Frankel was really trashy too-a woman realizes it's been a year since she's last had sex so she goes on a quest to find someone to have sex with before she becomes "revirginized." It sounded funny but it was pretty lame, trashy though!

I'm sure there are more, I'll have to think about it.

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca | 2 comments I tend to think that books that follow similar, formulaic plots are trashy. That's certainly the trashy thing about V.C. Andrews. It's always the same: mistaken identity, incest, rich girl vs. poor girl. The predictability allows you to check out a bit and makes it nice cotton candy for the brain.

What else do I consider trashy? I've never read them, but I suspect the Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel are pretty trashy. And anything by Christopher Pike. Actually, maybe I should redefine trashy, for me, as "anything I read for fun when I was 13-14 years old."

message 3: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Well, I don't know if you can get much trashier than V.C. Andrews. I like Jackie Collins, but she doesn't really offer much in the line of intellectual development.

For me, the best trashy books are the kind that you can just read in a day and let your brain rest but still tells a fairly amusing story. Kind of like reading a People magazine.

message 4: by Callie (new)

Callie Yow (calliecat) | 1 comments I consider trashy a lot of confussion, and when nothing happens at the right time. You know what I mean. When you first start a book you think you like, you expect it to take you away with in the first few chapters. Some books, which to me are considered trashy, never reach a good climax, and they are very confussing. It is so frustrating!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 22 comments ha! I read V.C. Andrews AND Auel in high school. They both seemed so racey and risque.

I have "The Kiss" sitting on my shelf. My friend gave it to me once she was done with it. I don't know when I will get around to reading it.

message 6: by Joanie (last edited May 05, 2008 07:14AM) (new)

Joanie | 41 comments Mod
I've never read Jean Auel and never knew that the Cave Bear books were considered trashy but I guess the movie adaptation of Daryl Hannah running around in animal pelts should have clued me in!

The Kiss is really twisted and pretty sad. Kind of takes away from the fun of being a trashy book when it's sad.

Thought of another one Going Down by Jennifer Belle (I think, I may have to come back and edit.) A girl becomes a call girl, but not the high priced kind, in fact I belive there is a rule in the "brothel" (term used loosely) where they are supposed hold a bare lightbulb up to the guy's package to check for crabs before they have sex. Ugh.

Oh, and another call girl book-Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl by Tracy Quan. She is a high priced call girl and the book certainly isn't as dark as Going Down but it was probably even trashier-but you get the impression that it's supposed to be kind of funny and sarcastic. Oh, and there are condoms on the cover!

message 7: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) If you are into spanking The Sleeping Beauty series by A.N. Roquelaure aka Anne Rice is pretty trashy

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 22 comments Yeah, thoser Cave Bear books were littered with lots of cave man sex scenes.

message 9: by Meghan (new)

Meghan OMG! Clan of the Cave Bear or something like that. That takes me back to high school! hee