Think Galactic discussion

Who's read the 7th Harry Potter?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wealhtheow (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Wealhtheow | 36 comments HP has never felt all that radical to me, but I thought Rowling did a very good job of showing that even Wise Old Mentors can do bad, and Mean, Traitorous Bastards can do good. I really hadn't expected that Dumbledore would be shown to have feet of clay, and really pleased that he was.

message 2: by Gremlin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Gremlin | 50 comments For me, the radical notions were more apparent in the 5th, and 6th books - but carried into the 7th. I rather enjoyed Rowling's continued jabs at the media (with Rita Skeeter) and their need to sensationalize stories about "famous" wizards, while simultaneously NOT talking about what was really going on. More frightening was the direct control that the Ministry of Magic had over what the media put out, and the ways in which they used that medium as a way to stir up the public in certain directions.

And honestly, how could we not be aware of the big brother feelings that came through as the ministry began rounding up those without papers or proof of being "pure blood" and then holding unfair trials against those them - or the fact that certain wizards would just "disappear" - or how many of Voldermort's followers were working inside the ministry, sometimes using politicians as their puppets, to meet their evil means? And all of this was able to continue happening because people were afraid to speak out or do anything about it, because they felt so alone - or feared for their own lives - or possibly still believed the ministry word that "everything was fine". The good guys basically had to create an underground army, communicating through secret means, creating safe houses and the like. I think it mirrors a vast array of past political happenings.

message 3: by Wealhtheow (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Wealhtheow | 36 comments Another big thing, for me at least, was that violence was rarely the answer to Harry's problems--far more often the solution was found in books or through kindness. Tangentially, Rowling put a great deal of emphasis on the idea that while one group of sentients (goblins, for instance) is oppressed, all other beings around them are made lesser because of it. And in regards to that, I was impressed that she didn't let her characters get involved in blame-throwing and guilt-tripping(see Griphook vs. Ron at Shell Cottage) about why oppression was happening, but rather focused on what could be done about it.