Arthur & George Arthur & George discussion

The Description could use a spoiler alert.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve The official Goodreads description for Arthur and George heads right into Spoilerville.

"The novel's style is smoothly revelatory. We slowly come to realize that George is [spoiler #1,] that Arthur is [spoiler #2,], that the woman he loves [spoiler #3,] and, sadly, that [spoiler #4]."

Some of those are already touched on before that paragraph, but it's really annoying to discover that important plot points that are revealed so casually here would have been slowly and smoothly revealed in the reading of the book had the description not first given them away.

Whoever's responsible for this description needs to seriously reevaluate their approach.

Beth I find that same problem with most descriptions on book flaps, even many book reviews. I usually read the first and last paragraph for that reason.

John After the first quarter of the story, I got hooked and could hardly put the book down. Mr. Barnes knows how to tell a captivating story! But the end the story was disappointing; the story just fizzled out. A surprise for me. I expected something unusual to happen because of, or between, the two protagonist.

Santhosh Spoilers are hard to conceal, few people require a little more so as to get interested in to pick up the book. Hence the teasers. In my opinion.

Santhosh John wrote: "After the first quarter of the story, I got hooked and could hardly put the book down. Mr. Barnes knows how to tell a captivating story! But the end the story was disappointing; the story just fizz..."

He has a real talent to bring a suspenseful event towards the end, especially if you have read his booker winning work. However, a thoroughly enjoyable work about a master storyteller.

Susan I agree on the spoiler alert.