Stephen King Fans discussion

It
This topic is about It
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
IT Discussions > let's revisit IT

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Steve | 247 comments Anyone up for reading IT again? I just flipped it up quickly the other day as something pass the time and getting engrossed again...I'm currently up to Beverly Gets A Whuppin from 'The Shadow Before'..Such an unpleasant bit of literature there. Tom is not one of the best characters SK has written, literary-wise.
It really still amazes me the labyrinth of construction that SK put into this...the historical vignettes, the 1985 stories, the 1958 stories, the otherworldly moments as well. That's what I love about this novel. Your turn.

MeghanZD | 2 comments I would, but I actually just revisited The Stand.... I need to read something under 1,000 pages this time!

message 3: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2586 comments Mod
I have a confession... I have not read IT. I am scared and still haven't picked it up! I just need to read it!

message 4: by Mark (last edited Apr 25, 2008 04:04AM) (new)

Mark (madceltuk) | 6 comments IT is probably the SK book I have re-read the most (I think it's about 8 times now) but the last time was a while ago. Just let me finish Insomnia (probably over the weekend)and I'll dig it out.

Hayley | 83 comments I love IT though I haven't read it in a while, I think I'll purchase this and I can then read it at leisure and be able to enjoy a proper discussion around the book. I still find that the idea of clowns not appealing.

Jennifer (knittinjen) | 9 comments Oh, Mark, I just finished Insomnia for the third of fourth time - hadn't read in awhile, and finished for the first time since DT series was finished. Had to check out Patrick Danville again, to see what I missed before I knew who he would be. What I missed was - Clotho and Lachesis get it wrong when they tell his future significance. Anyway, also haven't read IT in a very long time, and will do so as well. Angie, you are right to be afraid! Scariest by far!

message 7: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am going to go and pick it up!

message 8: by Tim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tim (sparklin) | 5 comments read it, then go find a copy of the made for tv movie (from the late 80s I believe). I still have trouble at times keeping my eyes closed when taking a shower.

Crystal (breger3) | 10 comments I'm mostly a lurker here, but when I saw this I figured I should speak up! I'm game, I'll start it tonight!

message 10: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

maybe after we read it we could watch the made for tv movie. maybe we could do a monthly King book!

Hayley | 83 comments I like the sound of that Angie, I'd read SK all day if I could but don't think my boss would allow me lol

alicia grant (shesha34) If I can finish The Ruins and Twilight I may be up to re-reading It.Havent had much reading time because last week it was s o nice i did alot of gardening.This week has been cold and crappy.so i have almost finished The Ruins.I did see The Mist and 1408 the other day.

message 13: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maybe we could do the book It for the month of May?

message 14: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle (kyled) | 3 comments I just read IT for the first time about three weeks ago. Realy good and great character development.

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark (madceltuk) | 6 comments Got to admit I haven't started IT yet. Picked up a 2nd hand copy of the Bachman Books on the weekend(I lost mine years ago) and have started that.

I have read Rage and The Long Walk, should get through Roadwork and The Running Man by the weekend, after which I will definately start IT.

Hayley | 83 comments Well, I'm going to read IT while on my holidays so I'll have to post my comments when I get back. What am I going to do without Goodreads for the 2 weeks I'm away.

Steve | 247 comments Nice to hear feedback on this. Would anyone care to "chair" a portion of the book and lead in an organized fashion, or should we just be willy-nilly on comments?

message 18: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

It is too bad the moderator of the group hasn't been active in forever because we could start up a new section for book group type reads. I do like organized reads better for discussions.

message 19: by Bee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bee (beelindee) I started rereading it yesterday. I haven't read this book in 10 years so it's almost like reading it for the first time for me.

Hayley | 83 comments I've just bought the book and forgot how thick it was - I'll start reading it when I'm on the plain next sunday.

alicia grant (shesha34) I know what you mean I haven't read It since it came out when i was in high school.Every so often i see the movie on the sci/fi channel but it not the same of course.I have forgotten alot of details so i think i may have to re-read it soon.still have a few books sitting here i have to get through first.Hopefully by the end of May i can at least start it.

Joanie | 59 comments I would love to re-read It! I read it freshman year of college after the tv mini-series aired for the first time (which was like 17 years ago-God, I'm old!) I have to see if I can find my old copy.

Steve | 247 comments I totally skipped Mike Hanlon's 1st early encounter with IT (in the Ironworks) this time around. I don't know why I did exactly, just a bit boring maybe?--that scene was also entirely dropped in the miniseries.

Steve | 247 comments I have put IT to the side temporarily so i can blaze through Raymond Chandler's The Long Goodbye (library copy). Keep at it, folks, and I will see you at the other side of The Barrens soon enough.

Hayley | 83 comments I read IT while I was holiday and remember what a great book it is. I love the fact that he has the characters slowly remember what happened to them back in 1958 rather than the characters suddenly remembering. My favourite part of the whole book was the final confrontation between the main characters and IT - for me it was probably the most vivid piece of writing - I would rather imagin what was happening than see the film and it ruin the book for me.

Steve | 247 comments Hayley is right...the ending of the movie just couldn't be done correctly for American TV. A cable-only remake would be nice, to cover the other stuff that got left out, too.

Hayley | 83 comments I think that for the film to work it would need to include everything that happens, in which case you would end with one hell of an epic horror film and I'm not sure people would be able to sit through that. Letting your imagination run riot is what brings the book alive, though the image of Tim Curry as Pennywise still stays strong in my head.

Steve | 247 comments A fascinating moment of the novel, p.687, where the boys are all reveling in a jolly moment of childhood reverie, but in the meantime, the body of one Jimmy Cullum is floating 40 yards away from them, "one of the missing", and he is never mentioned again. This makes me think of David Lynch's opening of Blue Velvet, of the gorgeous white picket fences of innocence tracking down to the severed ear overrun by ants. Also an echo of King's The Body.

Hayley | 83 comments I still find it interesting that King uses a 'giant spider' in describing IT. I think by using the 'giant spider' he is playing on a lot of peoples fear of spiders - I hate spiders so if I had to be confronted by IT at the end of the book I would have died of fright. I do like the fact that throught the book IT takes on the guises of those things that scare us the most - werewolfs, giant bird(Mike), your dead friend in the case of the bully (I can't remember his name) and a clown.

Steve | 247 comments IT is also the otherwise formless "man's inhumanity to man", as evidenced especially in the Interludes.

Hayley | 83 comments I discovered that reading the book by a pool in a sunny and hot climate takes away the fear factor - the first time I read it, I would read it in bed before going to sleep and would dream of Pennywise and the various forms he took in the book. Reading it like I did the last time just didn't have the same effect - does anyone else agree with this?
I'll have to read it again once its start getting darker early, to get the full effect.

Hayley | 83 comments I'm so glad you agree Cliff, I find that reading any horror book during the day has the same effect - it just doesn't scare me. Reading IT for the second time was even better than the secind time.

Steve | 247 comments Just finished IT on Monday. I first read it in my early 20s, and now having finished it again at age 37, the themes of childhood, growing older and losing touch with friends and the past resonates with me more than ever.

Jamie (jmadigan) I re-read It about a year ago for the first time since I was a teen. What struck me was that it really gave me different experiences each time. As a teen it was all about the action and horror. As an adult I really appreciated how deftly King wove the various stories together and how he created such compelling senses of time and place. If you haven't re-read it in a while I highly suggest, er, It.

message 35: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) I haven't read it (IT) yet! It's one of the big books I didn't read which now I can't understand why I never did. I think I was creeped out by what people were saying about how scary the movie was and I know the books are 10x more descriptive so I just never read it. But now that I'm older and probably able to appreciate it more I'll have to pick up a copy :)

message 36: by Steve (last edited Aug 26, 2008 10:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Steve | 247 comments Alexis, the book is scarier...but also more human and warm when it needs to be, which often can't be expressed in a TV or movie (Shawshank, Stand By Me and Green Mile excepted :))

message 37: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Well then I know that I'll enjoy it!!! I'll have to pick up a copy somewhere.

message 38: by Katarina (last edited Apr 01, 2009 12:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katarina (katarinaw) | 62 comments Ashok wrote: "What I love about IT is its evocation of childhood, similar to the vibe of the movie Stand By Me, but with monsters. And I love the 'friendship' warm fuzzy feeling too."

Yes! I totally agree with you on this! When I first read It and "The Body" I was about 12 years old and my biggest wish at the time was that I could be a part of those small intimate group of friends.

Rachel | 701 comments Yeah, I think that's what I like best about this book. What I always found scary was the concept of losing your imagination as you grow older so that you're less capable of defeating the things that scare you.

message 40: by Kyle (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kyle Jones | 13 comments I'm reading it now, on about page 100! Only 1,000 more to go! And YES, It is truly creepy book, and I've only encountered the clown about 3 times. I think.

Katarina (katarinaw) | 62 comments By the way, this thread made me pick up It again. Now I'm on page 654. I realised I hadn't read it since I read it the first time, (which was probably in 1987) and so far it is every bit as brilliant as I remembered it.

message 42: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt (emptyone) | 1 comments Man, I haven't read this since it came out. I'll be picking it up tonight.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 69 comments I really would like to reread IT. But it wont happen any time soon. THe first time I read IT in three days. LOL No time for that now. But I love the book and will re=read it someday

Diana Gligor (DianaGligor) | 2 comments I have started to read IT for the first time. It was on my must-read-list for a long time but only now I found it a book-market on sale at a very good price, so I got it and I am now meeting the characters of the book.

GracieKat | 67 comments I'll read it again. I haven't read it in a very long time and I just finished Season of the Witch so I'm between books. A lonely place to be. I love the historical stories. Mike is definitely my favorite character. Please don't make me watch the movie again, my poor heart can't take being broken over how they've massacred the book.

Katarina (katarinaw) | 62 comments Grace, I agree with you, I have a real soft spot for Mike.

message 47: by Katarina (last edited May 19, 2009 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katarina (katarinaw) | 62 comments Finished it yesterday! It was every bit as good as I remembered it.

I felt sad when it was over and they all started forgetting again.

And it feels like I haven't really left Derry, so I'll probably start reading Insomnia real soon!

Orion | 6 comments I love all the Derry books. It, Insomnia, and Dreamcatcher are all among my favorite SK books. Something a tad noteworthy: anyone notice that once the antagonist is overcome in the Derry books the main characters all but forget everything? It, Insomnia, and I believe Dreamcatcher follow this form. What's up with that?

message 49: by Evan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Evan Bolick (bolicked) | 1 comments Hey,
I just started reading It. The miniseries came out when I was about 11 or 12 and traumatized me. Now I am 25 and decided to read it and face my fear (especially since they will have a new IT movie out in 2011).

So far, I must say that this is good, BUT the writing is a bit disorganized. I think he is now ruching (I only have about 100 pages to go). The Stand is my favorite and I feel his masterpiece. This reminds me a lot of the Stand but it has a lot more flaws and the narrative jumps around too much. Nonetheless, it is still engrossing, exciting and thrilling with great characters (Richie is my favorite, he is like a poor man's Bill).

Andy Johnson | 3 comments Just finished IT today - amazing, amazing book. I think this my new favorite King novel, it is just... *sigh* there is so much good stuff about it, I don't know where to begin!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.