Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Description etiquette question

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Northrup (kristenn) | 25 comments Sometimes the first line of a book's description is something like "An April 2007 Significant 7 Editors' Pick." Barnes & Noble reviews frequently begin with such verbiage.

In those cases, is it appropriate to delete that sentence, thus freeing up space for another line of actual description?

Thanks!

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45034 comments Mod
Is space an issue in the description field? I didn't think it was. Therefore, I see no reason to delete such lines, especially since some GR users might find them of interest.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Northrup (kristenn) | 25 comments It's another overriding-my-training thing.

For the library catalog, 'award' type notes are either deleted or moved to a separate field, depending on significance.

By space, I was thinking in terms of the amount of information browsers can get without needing to click 'more,' but that's really just still thinking in terms of dial-up, now that you mention it.

Thanks again.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It's another overriding-my-training thing.

Ah. :) Well, GR is less formal (and probably currently has fewer fields) than the average official library catalog.

message 5: by Bree (new)

Bree (coffeebeanbookshelf) | 18 comments If it's an actual award or nomination for an award that is noted on the first line of the description, I will go in and edit it...taking it out of the description and adding it to the "literary awards" field.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I agree with that. :) I wonder if it applies in cases like the example above.