The Gunroom discussion

A glass of wine with you, sir! or, Introductions

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Poppy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Poppy | 8 comments Mod
Hi, I'm Poppy, and I'm an Aubrey/Maturin-aholic.

I'm completely addicted to Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels. I have all 21 in hardcover, several audiobooks, and as many of the books about the books as I've found.

Nobody IRL seems to understand, except maybe my brother, and he lives 1,000 miles away. So I thought I'd start a forum on goodreads.

I also am a member of The Gunroom, The Mailing List, so I posted the link.

Welcome!

message 2: by Terry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:19PM) (new)

Terry | 7 comments Permission to come aboard?

message 3: by Poppy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:21PM) (new)

Poppy | 8 comments Mod
"fweeeee----eeeeeeee"

To the sound of the bo'sun's twittering pipe, Terry went up the side.

Welcome aboard! I take it you're an Aubrey/Maturin fanatic.

So who's your favorite character, when did you discover the series, where would you like to travel with Jack and Stephen, what's your favorite book, and why am I asking all these silly questions?

message 4: by Terry (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Terry | 7 comments "Saluting the quarterdeck"

Thanks! It's good to meet you.

I've read the canon, and have a complete set of the Blackstone Audiobooks too, since I really can't get enough of Jack and Stephen. I picked up Master and Commander a decade ago at SFO Airport for a "diversion" on a flight, and had no IDEA how long it would last.

My favorite is Desolation Island. It's got it all: the Waakzaamheid chase, shipwreck, tense relations on an island, desertion (kind of), wonder at nature, and escape (in many senses of the word).

Now, the other favorite isn't exactly canon, but perhaps Killick would argue otherwise, which it's Lobscouse and Spotted Dog. Wittles is up!

We cannot be the only two GUNROOM list members here, can we? I'm generally a lurker on there, since I can't keep up, but this seems a bit more manageable, like being at anchor in Shelmerston!

message 5: by Melissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:12PM) (new)

Melissa (melissaharl) Permission to come aboard ...

I started reading O'Brian about 15 years ago, whenever The Wine-Dark Sea was published. I got about a dozen pages in before I said "Oh my God," put it down and ran back to the store to buy the first five books and start at the beginning. I've been deeply attached ever since.

I've read through The Canon several (many?) times, nowadays float slowly along, currently reading Treason's Harbour.

Used to be part of the POB Gunroom listserv, got to be too much, and I deserted when the Master died. Have hosted some Lissun events in my city in the past.

Thanks for organizing this group!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

(Signals: "Have dispatches")

Greetings Captain Poppy!

I am presently reading The Yellow Admiral having thoroughly enjoyed the voyage thus far.

I am embarrassed to admit that when it comes to the real thing (as opposed to armchair sailoring)I am a hopeless lubber. My brother called me from Great Cranberry Island (while claiming to look out the window at his sailboat) and invited me yet again to visit. A queasy trip to Block Island several years ago has dampened my enthusiasm for real seafaring adventure. A hearty "HUZZAH" to P O'B who has yet to inspire me to cast up my accounts.

message 7: by Poppy (new)

Poppy | 8 comments Mod
Welcome aboard, shipmates! Welcome aboard!

I have to admit that I, like Reading*Recluse, am a bad sailor, not from the standpoint of queasiness, but from the standpoint of sheer maladroitness. Stephen is my favorite character, too, partly because I identify with his inability to get out of the way.

On a couple of occasions my father chartered a 30 foot sloop and took us kids sailing off the coast of Massachusetts. What I loved best was riding behind the boat in the dinghy. Just like Stephen, except without the net to catch jellyfish!

I just finished re-reading the Letter of Marque and am half-way through The Thirteen Gun Salute. I go back and forth between listening to the audiobooks and reading the volumes, depending on whether I can actually sit and read. I spend so much time doing household chores and driving that audiobooks are a Godsend. And they do bring everything so very vividly to life.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I have done a few of the O'Brians on CD. John Lee is an awesome reader-alouder.

message 9: by Ed (new)

Ed (romson) | 4 comments Permission to come aboard?
I started with the Series many years ago and went from stem to stern, waiting patiently for the last few (alas) to come out. I've been back many times and have most of the companion books. I can recommend the cookbook. I'll post the name here when I get back home.

Am I the only person here who has tried to make a "spotted dick"?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Ed:

I think maybe you are..I'm lucky to boil water without the fire department being involved :)

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed (romson) | 4 comments Mates,
I just posted the cookbook I mentioned (I'm back from China. By air, not ship of the line, unfortunately).

Even if you are not adventurous to try to make "frumenty" or "dried peas with lumps of pork", you'll enjoy reading about what Jack and Stephen were forced to eat.

message 12: by M. (new)

M. Kei (kujakupoet) | 11 comments Ahoy the ship, permission to come aboard?

I'm a tall ship sailor and poet in real life and I'm delighted to find others with whom I can share my addiction. I apprenticed four years with a Chesapeake Bay skipjack and recently joined the crew of a fully rigged ship. I also recently acquired a digital camera and have been taking pictures of anything that will hold still for it, and several things that won't. Strangely, the ship's cats dislike being woken up by having their picture taken... http://picasaweb.com/kujakupoet

I am also an author. I published Slow Motion : The Log of a Chesapeake Bay Skipjack, a journal I kept in short verse on several extended trips aboard a skipjack, and most recently, started publishing a nautical series. I happen to be gay, and got tired of no gay heroes in the books I love, so I wrote one for my own entertainment. It snowballed from there... If curious, it's Pirates of the Narrow Seas, print editions through Keibooks and ebooks through Bristlecone Pine Press (coming April 2010).

message 13: by Alaric (new)

Alaric | 4 comments Welcome M

Gay historical nautical fiction is not so unusual. I've come across a few, and know of more on the way.

Regards

Alaric

message 14: by M. (new)

M. Kei (kujakupoet) | 11 comments Ah yes. After I wrote my book, it was reviewed by a gay historical romance site, so the fans of m/m romance have found me, and I them. I'm a wee bit bewildered by that...

There is a love story in PoNS, but it's a nautical adventure that happens to include a love story, not a love story that takes place on ships.

PS. Call me Kei. That's what my friends do.

message 15: by Deb (new)

Deb (DebD) | 5 comments I salute you Captain Poppy and also request to board. I can't tell you how relieved I am to find people as obsessed with Patrick O'Brian's books as I am! I have read all the books at least three times and listened to them all on a regular basis. I never get tired of the stories. I am just so disappointed there are no more. Do you think anyone could pick up the ball? Or is O'Brian that far out of anyone's league? The man is a brilliant researcher.
I loved these books so much I was inspired to write my own novel. The premise was a court-martialed Royal Navy captain forced to transport the daughter of the admiral who was responsible for his disrating. With a tip ofmy hat to O'Brian, I am proud to say Magician's Spell (Magician being a 40 gun frigate)is now in release from Red Rose Publishing. I hope you all will check it out and my blog at http://debrasuedenson.blogspot.com.
Looking forward to new perspectives on Aubrey and Maturin.

message 16: by Tom (new)

Tom Behr) (tom_behr) | 10 comments Permission to come on board and God save all here!
Quick notes: POB fan (helpless addict) for 10+ years now on 2nd and 3rd read of some books; favorite book (if one had to choose) - HMS Surprise; saddest moment, Bonden's death (Diane a close second); greatest small pleasure - Mowatt's poetry.
I've drifted in and out of the Gunroom. Have been a small boat sailor all my life, just about; summer home in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, which was, until the Concordia was lost off Brazil, home to three tall ships.
Glas I found this site

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) I too am a huge fan of the "Aubreyiad." An honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Coast Guard, I love all books and movies about the sea, particularly those set in the Age of Sail. I place Patrick O'Brian in the august company with Jane Austen and Charles Dickens as my favorite authors. In my opinion, the Aubrey-Maturin canon is great literature, plain and simple.

My father started me on my first voyage with Master and Commander in the mid-1970s, and I've never looked back. Each time I read the series, I get more out of each book, and learn more about my fellow man and the planet we live on. I look forward to sharing thoughts and observations here with all of you! Cheers! Chris

message 18: by M. (new)

M. Kei (kujakupoet) | 11 comments Hello Tom, retired from the Coast Guard! I realize the odds of you being the Tom I went to high school with are slim -- there must be a lot of men named Tom in the Coast Guard, but if you did attend Howell High School, you will no doubt remember the Fenstorians. If you do, email me privately: kujakupoet at verizon dot net.

~K~

message 19: by Tom (new)

Tom Behr) (tom_behr) | 10 comments Hi "K"
Regrettably, I had neither the honor of serving in the Coast Guard nor the pleasure of attending Howell H.S. But I'm intrigued. What were the "Fenstorians?"
Cheers
Tom

message 20: by M. (new)

M. Kei (kujakupoet) | 11 comments Oh, that was what we called ourselves: a group of nerdy high schoolers that were interested in science, science fiction, computers, and playing pranks on the Department of Defense. I think I shall take the Fifth and not comment any further on the latter :)

I see I some how got you and Chris mixed up; my apologies. The brain sometimes makes random connections among unrelated facts.

message 21: by Penny (new)

Penny (stargazer235) | 1 comments Permission to come aboard?

I realize it's been a while since someone posted in here, but I just found this site and this group. Hope I haven't come too late to the party.

Recently I've come to realize I have a great love for books and movies about the Age of Sail. So far I've read all C.S. Forester, however Patrick O'Brian is in my very large pile of to read books.

message 22: by Tom (new)

Tom (TindleBay14) | 2 comments Hi Penny,
Hope you have a great time with the Aubrey-Maturin series. It has been my favourite for years now. It's kind of sad in a way, I have looked forward to each of them so much and I am coming to the end of them (on the last book now). I bought each of them as audio books at Audible.com to try to extend my enjoyment of them. I read each book and then I listen to the audio book performance. It’s been great. I guess I’ll give C.S. Forester a try next; I just hope it’s not a let down after Patrick O’Brian.

message 23: by Ross (new)

Ross (rossscann) | 29 comments Some 30+ years ago a friend recommended "Master and Commander" because I mentioned the Hornblower books. I started reading and was quite disappointed thinking when is some ACTION going to start. The Hornblower series is filled with action. I was really about to give up when it dawned on me that what I was reading was not a pulp fiction adventure story, but English literature of the highest level. Certainly the equal of the work of Trollope and Miss Austen. The best there is of historical fiction.
For those not aware of it I strongly recommend Dean King's biography "Patrick O'Brian."

message 24: by Carl (new)

Carl | 1 comments The series is really a continuing exploration of the way people relate to one another when kept in close confinement and subjected to extreme danger including sudden and violent death. It's quite wonderful really.

message 25: by Michael (last edited Dec 13, 2012 10:54AM) (new)

Michael (michaeljmartinez) | 4 comments Quite happy to have found this group, as the writings of both O'Brien and Forester deeply influenced my own. I look forward to the discussions and, of course, I invite you to check out my forthcoming novel from Night Shade Books, in which I take a late 18th century Royal Navy frigate...and crash it into Mars.
The Daedalus Incident by Michael J. Martinez

message 26: by Laura (last edited Jan 13, 2013 12:51PM) (new)

Laura | 3 comments Permission to come aboard?

I began my voyage with Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin last summer and am loving every minute of it. I have just finished the Ionian Mission and am planning on spacing my readings so I can make the trip last as long as possible.

I'm happy to have found a group to talk with about the books.

message 27: by Antoine (new)

Antoine Vanner | 1 comments Laura wrote: "Permission to come aboard?

I began my voyage with Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin last summer and am loving every minute of it. I have just finished the Ionian Mission and am planning on spacing..."

It worthwhile running down the audio-books versions of the Aubrey/Maturin novels narrated by the wonderful British actor Robert Hardy. He manages to "play all parts" by voice alone and the narrative sections between dialogue are full of energy. He's a delight to listen to and his reading of "The Ionian Mission" is one of his best. This is a great companion for a long car-drive!

message 28: by Tom (new)

Tom (TindleBay14) | 2 comments Laura wrote: "Permission to come aboard?

I began my voyage with Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin last summer and am loving every minute of it. I have just finished the Ionian Mission and am planning on spacing..."

Have fun. The best series of books I have ever encountered. Consider getting a copy of "Harbours and High Seas" to help with your journey, I wish I had when I started. Antoine is right consider getting the audiobook version after you have read each one of the novels it seems to add a lot to the experience, Audible has some great versions.

message 29: by Laura (last edited Jan 19, 2013 09:56AM) (new)

Laura | 3 comments Antoine and Tom - thank you kindly, sirs!

Both are excellent suggestions. I have a copy of "Harbours and High Seas" and it helps immensely. I am just finishing up the audio version of HMS Surprise. :) I am so pleasantly surprised (ha ha) to find that I am catching a lot that I didn't "get" the first read-thru.

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 23, 2013 06:57PM) (new)

What do you all think of the movie version of Master and Commander? I love the two lead actors in it, though I have never seen them in anything else (I'm not a movie-goer, but make exceptions for films such as this and Gettysburg and Gods And Generals).

I think one can see the film and not have the book experience ruined at all, so different are they, and enjoyable in different ways.

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljmartinez) | 4 comments I rather liked the movie. Certainly they took liberties with the material, both in terms of plot and language. I don't think they could've done a good movie if they stuck to the books religiously. But I think they captured the feel of the books, and the cast was very good.

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura | 3 comments I first saw the movie 3 or 4 years ago and was pleasantly surprised. I agree about being able to see it and not have the books ruined at all. In my mind, I picture Jack and Stephen to be almost(but not quite) like the actors. :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, I agree, Michael. The book and the movie are two separate experiences. I certainly wouldn't say to someone: 'Oh, you've seen the film? --Don't bother with the book!' I'd say: 'Now that you've had the appetizer, dive into the feast'.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Laura wrote: "I first saw the movie 3 or 4 years ago and was pleasantly surprised. I agree about being able to see it and not have the books ruined at all. In my mind, I picture Jack and Stephen to be almost(bu..."

Yes, I think the actors were well cast, if possibly a bit more gorgeous than the characters : )

I recently read an article (in The Spectator, UK) by a reader of Tolkien, who advised people to avoid the new Hobbit movie, and re-read the book instead. The comments section was divided: Some agreed that the best way to do the book justice is to ignore the film, while most felt that a movie representation wouldn't dictate how they saw things in their own minds forever more. It *is* a risk though, I think.

message 35: by Brinn (new)

Brinn Colenda | 7 comments Permission to come aboard, sir!
I am a retired Air Force pilot-- but before you start throwing things, my family is almost entirely Navy or Coast Guard! My father, a Navy Captain, introduced me to Horatio, a friend, Cdr Jim van Namee introduced me to Jack, and another friend, Cdr Jim Tritten introduced me to this group.
I had the honour to fly with the Royal Air Force as a exchange instructor pilot so I have the added talent of being able to understand Brits when they speak. Had a tour in the Caribbean based largely on my RAF experience. That is where I learned how to drink rum. Lots of rum.
Like many of you, I have almost memorized the Hornblower books; not quite so familiar with Aubrey. But Master and Commander was a magnificent movie, especially the sailing around Tierra del Fuego and the Antarctic.

message 36: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Feiertag | 13 comments Brinn,

Never apologize for being in the Air Force; I think even those of us who are merely in the arm-chair British Navy of a couple hundred years ago realize that it's just another branch of the family.

I remember after I read through O'Brian's series for the first time I then read through the Hornblower books. I had seen the Gregory Peck movie a long time before that, but reading those novels really made the Aubrey-Maturin story click for me.

What are you reading these days?

Ruth

message 37: by Brinn (new)

Brinn Colenda | 7 comments Hi Ruth,
I'm not apologizing for my time in the Air Force, just recognizing that most people in this group probably have a naval orientation...But thanks for looking out for me!
I am reading The Pirates of the Levant by Arturo Perez-Riverte in preparation to my next novel...I need to get that sea-going language flowing...I will also have to re-read some Hornblower I guess...what I really need is a couple weeks on a sailboat in the Med!
Also some of Bernard Cornwell's Richard Sharpe series for Napoleonic conflicts.
I just finished reviewing a biography of Simon Bolivar which ties in time-wise...my knowledge of South America is limited to what I learned while living in Bolivia for a couple of years and what I managed to accumulate during my research phase for book one.
All this is a far cry from flying stuff which is my favorite..hard to find authentic flying stuff from Napoleon's air force...

message 38: by Ruth (new)

I didn't take your apology that seriously; I should gone a little more over the top with my response so you knew I was trying to respond in the same vein. This is why I should not try to communicate with people when I have a cold :). But I think a modern Jack Aubrey might well gravitate to the Air Force (the Royal Air Force) rather than to the Navy. Somehow I can see Jack more in tune with the movements of a plane than a large metal ship. Of course, he might have to lose some weight, and I'm not sure how Stephen would fit in.

I have been wanting to read the Sharpe books for a while now, but have so many stacks of books to read and shelve that I need to wade through those before I bring more novels into the house.

I like your idea about sailing around the Med. I'll bet if look hard enough you could find some kind of research grant that would allow you to do just that.

Napoleon's air force — definitely a well-kept secret. I wonder if some of the Steam Punk lit might follow that line.

Ruth

message 39: by Brinn (new)

Brinn Colenda | 7 comments Hi Ruth,
When I was with the RAF, Prince Charles was still actively flying. I had mates who flew with him; apparently he was a good stick. At the same time, Prince Andrew was in training to be a Navy pilot at the very base where I flew. Andrew later went on to fly in the Falklands Islands War. The Royal Navy was much better acquainted with dealing with royals than the RAF...
Aubrey was a bit of a swashbuckler-- he would have been a great fighter pilot, especially in the Battle of Britain, or even better, during the WWI...
There is a pronounced difference in officers of the three services in the US...Army types are very keen on cooperating; Navy types are more independent; and according to my Navy family, Air Force types are more concerned about the status of their golf courses/officers' clubs...I can't agree since I do not play golf and loathe clubs...
My association with the RAF was a bit of a sticking point while I was in Bolivia...the Argentine attache was not very happy about it...
I see that you like medieval literature...did you read Ken Follette's Pillars of the Earth? have you seen the movie The Knight's Tale? One of my friends in grad school had a PhD in Old English literature and had learned Old English

message 40: by Ruth (new)

I remember reading about all the Royals' military service as they have gone through it. Perhaps the press is simply kind to them (though I doubt it), but it always seemed to me that they have served well and honourably. Do you remember the recent snub the queen received when her service in WWII was disregarded when there was some ceremony for heads of state who had served? I didn't blame her for being angry.

I see you understood what I was saying about Jack (I'm sorry; I get very fuzzy in the head when I have a cold. I am usually more articulate than I am today). I also think Aubrey would make a good fighter pilot, but then one loses that aspect of him as a commander. Somehow leading a squadron seems like a different proposition than commanding a crew of sailors. That swashbuckling attitude is one of the aspects of his character that endears him to me a bit more than HH.

My son and I were talking about the similarities between JA and that other great captain, James T. Kirk. Stephen seems to be convenient amalgam of Spock and Bones. I'm not sure there's a Scotty analogue though. I keep thinking there's a paper in there somewhere.

I am not familiar enough with military history to understand why the Argentinian attache did not like your playing nicely with others from the UK. Will you explain it to me?

When you joined the Air Force, did they know you didn't like golf? Perhaps the Air Force let you in as part of an attempt to diversify the ranks. I hope you don't let it keep you up at night; I'll bet there are even some doctors who don't play golf or who have legible handwriting.

I do like ME lit. I wasn't expecting to. I took a Chaucer course in grad school because I thought it would be good for me, but hey — it was stuff written in the Dark Ages so obviously it wasn't going to be anything I could ever enjoy. It helped that the class had a fantastic prof and that the other students were amazing, but I learned very quickly that I had made some deeply erroneous assumptions about the Middle Ages. The class didn't make like Shakespeare any less; it led to additional bookshelves. I hope to learn Anglo-Saxon some day, but I have to confess I'm not a whiz with languages.

I have not yet read Pillars of the Earth. I gather there was a mini-series, but I missed that too. It is lovely to live in an age in which these things remain accessible even after they've shown up on TV. (Remember when we had only one chance every year to watch The Wizard of Oz?) The Knight's Tale I saw in the theatre and later got on DVD. It's a movie we all enjoy very much. I like all the characters, but do have prejudice for Chaucer. Was it a movie you liked too? What did you think about Pillars? I don't think I know anyone who's read it.

Ruth

message 41: by Brinn (new)

Brinn Colenda | 7 comments Oh Ruth, you have an agile mind!
I did play golf in high school -- All American boy, you see...Eagle Scout, student government, short hair, Air Force Academy, etc...now I have a beard, am a writer and live in the mountains...though, I must admit, keep my (still short) hair clean via frequent washings and am a member of the Village council so I am not entirely disreputable...some might disagree...
Back to books...I admire Andrew. He was an excellent midshipman when I knew him who tried hard to be one of the lads...my room in the Officers' Mess was opposite his...I would like to sit and chat with Charles...when I was in Bolivia, the RAF Royal Flight (sort of like our 89th Airlift Wing that flies Air Force One but instead obviously flies the Royal Family around)) called me to ask some questions related to flying in the (very high) mountains of Bolivia. I thought Charles would be flying through the country.
The Argentine attache flew combat missions in the Falklands (Malvinas in Argentine-speak)...he made me promise that I had not flown combat with the RAF...very touchy subject...I visited Bariloche in southern Argentina to go skiing and strayed into a hotel owned by the Argentine Navy...most of the pilots killed in the war were Argentine Navy (flying US made A-4 Skyhawks)...their pictures were prominately displayed in the hotel under the sign "Our Heroes."
As for Mr Follette, I met him shortly after his book was out...I complimented him, he was very nice. Wonderful, magnificent book. I made everyone I know read it. Get on the stick, Ruth!
Timeline by Michael Crichton is also of that era and is a wonderful action/thriller, though the movie was terrible. It is difficult to explain quantum physics involved in time-travel in a movie, easier in a book.
I loved The Knight's Tale. It was great. When I lived in England, I used to deliberately fly in search of castles. I visited Cornwall to look for Arthur's birthplace. Though I confess I am not a Chaucer fan...oops.
Brinn
P.S. One of my sons is a real All-American, first team snowboarder at Sierra Nevada College in Tahoe...he has short hair too, but it is his choice

message 42: by Ruth (new)

Sorry for the delay in response; my cold got nasty and I was laying off the hard-core computer chat for a few days.

I am flattered that you think my mind agile; that is quite a compliment coming from someone with your truly extensive experience and gifts. Thank you.

So you have managed to have it all: the clean-cut boy-next-door life as well as the questionable artistic vocation. Do you have a cold and lonely attic, supplied with a single candle, in which to write? And I shan't tell anyone about your frequent hair washing.

As soon as I signed off after that last post I made the (obvious) connection between Argentina and the Falklands. I really have no excuse for the disconnect. Let's blame it on the cold germs.

In an effort to keep this conversation related to the Gunroom I shall ask you whether you think Andrew's experience was anything like that of the titled naval officers in the Aubrey-Maturin novels. There is discussion about how the common sailors love a lord, and from the little I read in our local fish-wrap, it seems as if the British military is still pretty fair about treating the titled with a lack of undue deference. But again, I write from very little knowledge.

So — did you find Arthur's birthplace? Did you find Arthur? I hear he's still missing. Have you read L'Morte D'Arthur? It might be more to your taste than Chaucer. No flying though. (Chaucer flies. It's in a dream, and it's really an eagle that's flying, but it's sort of like being in an airplane.) And as I said, I never would have picked up Chaucer on my own. Now that I think of it, I'm surprized that more of the ships in the RN aren't named after knights.

I have to go to the bookstore tomorrow and I'll look for Pillars, though "pillars" is a pretty good description of the stacks of books I already have waiting to be read. I do think it's pretty cool to get to meet authors. I think it can be all too easy to forget there's a flesh-and-blood-and-bone person whose written all those words in that order to produce the marvel of imagination that we ravenously devour. I'm hoping to skim through The Inferno again soon too for the erudite reason that one of the mysteries I've been reading riffs on it both in structure and in content and I missed a lot of the allusions.

Ruth