Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

unable to combine editions-other editions don't show up

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments I'm sorry - I've had this happen several times but I don't have specific examples to post here; I can go back and find instances I am sure if I need to do that.

But, I've had problems with some books where I've noticed that my edition of a book isn't combined but when I go to combine books, no other editions or only some other editions show, and I cannot combine all of the eligible editions.

The title and author are both the same. No weird subtitles or second authors that could be complicating the process.

Has anyone had this experience and does anyone know how this might happen and how to get these "hidden" editions combined? (I do see the other editions in other pages so I know they're there.)

Thanks for any ideas or help. And I can look for specific examples if that would help.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

rivka | 36289 comments Mod
Are you certain the authors are exactly the same? The couple of times I had this experience, some of the books had the author's name with two spaces between the first name and the last. That shows up in the system as a separate person from the same author with a single space. If you edit the author with two spaces (rather than an individual book), it will merge them.

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:57AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Thanks for the reply Rivka. Next time I experience the problem, I will check to see if that is the reason. One space vs. two spaces between first and last names of the author is probably something I would not have noticed.

message 4: by Otis, Chief Architect (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Rivka probably right. Next time you compare the names, hit 'edit' first, as thats the only place you can see extra spaces.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:58AM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Ah, thanks Otis.