Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Anybody else having problems with the "combine editions" filter?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44222 comments Mod
Or is it just me?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Still just me?

That's weird.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2413 comments Rivka & All, I haven't really tried it yet; I'll let you know.

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments No, I'm having the same trouble, and I did all of yesterday, too. When I try to filter for anything, I get nothing but the message:

"An unexpected error occurred. We will investigate this problem as soon as possible — please check back soon!"

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Cait, exactly.

message 6: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Otis Chandler | 315 comments Mod
Sorry - was related to this mornings release - all fixed now!

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments It's not giving me an error, but it doesn't seem to be working, either -- I went to Carolyn Keene's combine page and tried to filter for "curse" (which should pick up a ton of titles) and didn't get any back; I tried "crime" and got two titles listed when there should have been many more.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I just came here to report the same thing. It's very odd. Is this related to the new weighted search?

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) | 72 comments I had the same problem, and it got me thinking (but perhaps this has been solved with the 'weighted search' - not too sure what that covers): for the combine editions search, it would be really handy if we could do "or" searches.

E.g. "horses OR heste" would return all books with either 'horses' or 'heste' in the title - this would make combining foreign editions a LOT easier :)

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

It would indeed be most useful.

message 11: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Ahh - there was another backend change in the last release that accounted for this, and its fixed now.

Tried doing an OR search, but couldn't make it work easily - sorry :(

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That's ok. Fixing the filter was the really important thing. :)

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

. . . and it's better, but still not working properly.

message 14: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments As far as I can tell the filtering is working properly now, although the filtered results are not sorted alphabetically.

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

There we go!

It never sorted alphabetically after filtering. Did it?

message 16: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Nope, still missing stuff.

Filtering Nora Roberts for "insel" brings up nothing -- it should bring up several books; "keep" only brought up one of the two it should have brought up (which are now combined).

message 17: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Those appear to both be working now - any other examples of things not working?

message 18: by Cait (last edited Apr 21, 2008 02:23PM) (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Filtering Stephen Jay Gould for "Leonardo", "Vinci", "Clam", or "Worms" fails to bring up anything....

(Although I should mention that I was just in there combining editions, so there may be caching issues going on.)

...And either you fixed it or it was indeed a caching problem, because it's working now!