Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Cover image is a broken link but book's page has cover

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Min (last edited Apr 13, 2008 09:57PM) (new)

Min (unktehi) | 24 comments Hi. I've looked at the manual and at several posts in this group, but I can't quite find the answer to the problem I'm finding.

I have Black Magic Woman (isbn 1844165418, isbn13: 9781844165414) on one of my shelves. The thumbnail image is displaying as a broken image (question mark in a blue box) but when I click on it and go to the book's page, the cover image is there.
I tried to see if I could change the image. The edit page indicates the image is from Amazon (and also displays the broken link for the cover image), but I'm not quite sure how to replace the image. Can someone walk me through this?

Thanks!

P.S. - I have my shelf set to the 'review' mode. The image does come up when it is in the 'covers' mode.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44649 comments Mod
I am not aware of any method that would not lose all the current ratings/reviews.

It's probably temporary.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I think all you need to do is replace the image. If you go to a screen where you can see the image, save it to your desktop (in a Windows based browser you can usually do this by right clicking on the image and finding a link called something along the lines of "Save Image as").

Then go to the edit page for the book and simply upload the image you saved as the new cover. GoodReads will now have the uploaded image rather than the linked Amazon image (even if it is technically the same thing) and that should fix the problem.

message 4: by Min (new)

Min (unktehi) | 24 comments I can't seem to save the image on my home computer, which is a Mac, so I'll try it from work (where I use Windows).

Thanks!

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44649 comments Mod
I had completely forgotten that method. As penance, I did it for you. ;)

message 6: by Min (new)

Min (unktehi) | 24 comments Thanks!