Challenge: 50 Books discussion

*Retired* 2008 Lists > Casey's Challenge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Casey (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:44AM) (new)

Casey (mrsmixon) Hey everyone! I just joined this group and to be honest I set my goal a wee bit higher then 50 this year (not by much....my goal is only 57) I am pretty sure I can make it. I am on book #30 right now and I am sure I will finish it by lunch tomorrow....gotta love jobs where you do NOTHING but read right?
BTW if anyone has any suggestions for books I would love to "hear" them I am running out of books in my house...I think I have maybe 10 more books in my house that I have not read (I probably own something close to 200 books and havent had time to list them all on here lol)
This is my list thus far for 2008

#'s 1-3 The Dark Materials Trilogy by Robert Pullman
#'s 4-11 The Womens Murder Club series by James Patterson
12. The Other Boylen Girl by Phillipa Gregory
13. The Things they Carried by Tim O'Brien
14. Roses Are Red by James Patterson
15. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
16. Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet
17. World with out End by Ken Follet
18.Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracey Chevalier
19.Song of Hannah by Eva Etzioni-Halevy
20.The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
21.The Innocent Traitor by Allison Wier
22.Confessions of an Ex-Girlfriend by Lyda Curnyn
23.Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
24. Hunt for Red October by Ton Clancy
25. Water for Elephants by Sara Greun
26. Mansfield Park by Jane Austin
27. The Mercy Of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue
28. The Beach House by James Patterson
29. The Last Wife of Henry the 8th by Carolly Erickson

message 2: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestelueck) | 54 comments Hi and welcome. How did you like The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue? I really enjoyed this book and I don't understand why I see it on the clearance rack all the time. Just wondering what you think.

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly B (kellyb) Hey, I'm wondering what you thought of World Without End. I read Pillars of the Earth this year and want to know what people thought of the second one, but no one seems to answer! Maybe that is an answer in itself...

message 4: by Casey (new)

Casey (mrsmixon) Mercy of Thin Air:
Was pretty good. It was a nice quick read, I got it done in one shift (approximately 8hours). Um I did like that the main character was very easy to like and that you did feel for her through out it. Also I got a vague "Ya Ya" feel from it too
World Without End:
I liked it, at first I REALLY liked it but after thinking of it for a while I started thinking that World w/o end was A LOT like Pillars. There is the son of an Earl trying to get back his fathers lands, another man trying to get his fathers lands back, the Church seeming to be fighting with the lay people for control of assets...a lot of rape and a lot of death. It wasnt bad just a little disappointing when you think it took him almost 20 years to tell a similar story.

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly B (kellyb) Thank you for that; I was a little bit suspicious about how different it could be, and I am still undecided about how different I want it to be. The earl in the first one was just so nasty, it was sometimes hard to read about how every little thing that could go wrong, did! It was a test of patience, and I liked it very much by the end, so I just wondered if I should take on the second one. I may wait until after graduation....Thank you!