Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
The Book Thief > learning

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) From your reading, have you learned anything new from this book so far?

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I actually learned a few things. One thing I liked was that it was written from the point of few from people who lived in Germany. I didn't realize that if you had brown eyes instead of blue you were looked down upon. I didn't know this because I knew that Hitler had brown eyes so I was surprised to learn that.

Lisa | 18 comments I learned that just because you were a German in Nazi Germany didn't automatically mean you were a loyal Hitler follower. It made me wonder just how many people were like the Hubermanns and sympathized with or hid Jews.

Kami | 14 comments That's a good point. I feel like I'm always complaining about something or another, and never really stop to think how grateful I should be with my life. I think we take for granted the freedoms we have, and how amazing life is. The characters in the book essentially had nothing- and never complained about it. They took what they had, and made the best out of the situation. Especially Liesel and Rudy- kids these days can be so spoiled and self-centered, but these kids did as they were told without another word. They sought refuge in the soccer games outside, and really enjoyed what they had. If only everyone could be this way.

Ms. Hicks | 25 comments I completely agree. It was interesting having the Pope in town last week since, he too, was a Hitler Youth and didn't agree with it back then. It's a perspective I hadn't thought about.

message 6: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I did not know that about the Pope. I am going to look more into his story now. Thanks!

Brigid ✩ The Book Thief has actually helped me a lot in history this year ... We're doing a unit on Nazi Germany and I'm able to remember a lot of the details better because I'm like "Hey I remember that from The Book Thief!" lol

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Book Thief is the type of book that I think I will never forgot. I wish it would become a movie!