The Brothers Karamazov The Brothers Karamazov discussion

Well Done

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:01AM) (new)

Jon Jake- I have attempted to read a few times but always get the names confused.

Ha
Jon

Dane Yes, the name structure can be a bit confusing, but as you get further in the book each character's traits make them stand on their own in your mind.

Richard you have to cut the names short. it's absurd to re-read those long titles every time. i just restrict myself to reading the first two syllables and move on. what a book though! i agree w/ dane here, too...

dead letter office i find it helpful to just focus on the last name. once i realized that dmitri, alyosha, mitya, fyodor, alexei, vanya, and ivan were all the same person it made much more sense.

Norman D-t, you have to be joking! Or is the book you read called The BROTHER Karamazov?

Krys Gut Dostoevsky is truly a master writer and I've not found anyone else who is comparable.

The despicable character of the father is painted in such a way that I actually felt the pain of the sons in having such a father figure.

message 7: by J.C. (last edited Apr 01, 2008 03:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.C. Paulk Certainly one of the best novels I've ever read. For those having trouble with the names, some editions have a forward that explains some of the mechanics and reasoning behind such titles. Aside from the characters being wonderful (while Alyosha is angelic, I'm partial to Mitya), there is a strong philosophic undercurrent. It is worth reading to get insight into Dostoevsky's worldview alone.

David J. I just started this book. I am only 100 pages into it and it is just starting to get interesting.

Dane I'm on Book IV. It's such a fantastic novel. Any comments or thoughts you'd like to share with about your current location in the book, David?