Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Putting together some tips for a successful book launch

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo (ricardofayet) | 8 comments I interviewed an author who really nailed his book launch to know what his "best practices were". Three main things came across:
- you need to have a street team that you build while writing the book
- you need to reach out to as many "influencers" as you can before launch and try to turn them into early evangelists
- you need to leverage existing platforms (blogs, high-traffic websites, etc.) to get the word out
- all that works much better if the book is free at launch (then paid after a few days)

What other tips would you add?
(Here's the link to the interview I mentioned, well worth a read)

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 785 comments Ricardo wrote: "I interviewed an author who really nailed his book launch to know what his "best practices were". Three main things came across:
- you need to have a street team that you build while writing the bo..."

-I've never tried to build a street team though I know what it is and I have a few author friends who have some and they are always reaching out to their street team. Street teams are good to have because they are familiar with your work and help you promote and get the word out about the book. I've never considered making one though now would be a good of a time as ever.

-I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "influencers". If you mean people who inspired and influenced you to write the book then I guess that would be the right crowd of people to approach. If by influencers you mean something else then I'd be curious to know who those people are.

-Existing platforms is key. This is one of the things I myself do constantly because it's the most common practice and the most easy to do. Blogs, websites, social media and any other blog you can connect yourself to is the best way to get the word out.

-Another thing I've never considered but have seen and it makes a lot of sense. Chances are people such as ones you've stated above, "street teams", "influencers" and even fans whom you've posted to about the book to are eagerly awaiting the release of the book. While you want to make money, the best way to really spark interest is to make it free that way you get tons of downloads, reviews and if a lot of those people enjoyed it they will likely recommend it to their friends, helping spread the wealth. I also heard it helps after the free launch is over because those first no longer free days after still get quite a few downloads and good sales.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura McNeill (lauramcneill) | 3 comments Ricardo wrote: "I interviewed an author who really nailed his book launch to know what his "best practices were". Three main things came across:
- you need to have a street team that you build while writing the bo..."

Good advice!