All Souls Trilogy Re-read discussion

Shadow of Night > Who would you be in 1590?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, this topic title is a little bit tongue and cheek, but I wanted to separate it out because it was something I thought about a lot during this re-read.

Initially, I really disliked Queen Elizabeth and Emperor Rudolf for interfering with Diana and Matthew's quest to find the book. As I encountered them again, I was surprised to realize how sorry I felt for them. Elizabeth wants the Philosopher's Stone because she's afraid what will happen to her kingdom after she dies, and Rudolf seems like an overgrown child. For all their power--and how much they enjoy wielding it over others--they seem incapable of happiness.

Of course, that's not to say that being poor in 1590 is an easy row to hoe. Annie and Jack show us that in abundance. Where would they be if not for Diana and Matthew? If you timewalked back to 1590, whose life would you like to inhabit? A queen's? A peasant's?

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (stitchingcoach) | 12 comments If i could go back to 1590, I would want to be someone like Mary Sidney - independent, educated and protected. Mary was able to conduct her experiments without judgement or fear. But I sensed a different kind of loneliness in her than the queen. Mary's sadness was one of being a trailblazer and not able to share that with everyone and be recognized.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Dawn wrote: "If i could go back to 1590, I would want to be someone like Mary Sidney - independent, educated and protected. Mary was able to conduct her experiments without judgement or fear. But I sensed a dif..."

I like Mary, too. She makes the best out of her situation, but there's an underlying sadness that makes me feel sorry for her.

message 4: by Readsandeats (new)

Readsandeats | 54 comments I liked Mary as well. I would like to be a person of wealth if I went back to 1590 but I would use my wealth for the good of the poor. Setting up schools, better health care etc - oh my I sound like a politician and I have had enough of them for the moment thank you!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Readsandeats wrote: "I liked Mary as well. I would like to be a person of wealth if I went back to 1590 but I would use my wealth for the good of the poor. Setting up schools, better health care etc - oh my I sound lik..."

I bet! You've got a big election happening, yes?

message 6: by Readsandeats (new)

Readsandeats | 54 comments Yes we did and I was so bored with all the yacking from the politicians. Unfortunately here in Scotland we have another election next year! Why can't politicians all work together for the greater good instead of shouting at each other and not listening to what others are saying?????

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 51 comments I would definitely like to be someone wealthy, like Mary. The daily life was so challenging compared to our modern conveniences that I think I would not survive very long without the "creature comforts" the wealthier class could afford. Typing this out makes me realize how much is taken for granted in our 21st century lives.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I think we don't have to look any further than Queen Elizabeth and Emperor Rudolf to see how out of touch "leaders" usually are from the lives of the common people!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Melissa wrote: "I would definitely like to be someone wealthy, like Mary. The daily life was so challenging compared to our modern conveniences that I think I would not survive very long without the "creature com..."

Laundry alone would be the end of me!

message 10: by Readsandeats (new)

Readsandeats | 54 comments I think we from the modern world would miss things like telephones. in the 1590's it was all letters and if you wanted to talk to someone either you went there or they came to you. It depended on how far away you were from each other as to how often you got a face to face conversation.
I must admit I still like writing letters and my friends do get long ones when I have the time. Would love to fins somewhere where I could get wax and a seal - my friends would be shocked to get an envelope sealed with wax via Royal Mail :-).

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessical1961) Readsandeats wrote: "Yes we did and I was so bored with all the yacking from the politicians. Unfortunately here in Scotland we have another election next year! Why can't politicians all work together for the greater g..."

Sounds like politicians are the same everywhere. It does not sound like Scottish politicians are much different than those here in the United States; lots of partisan bickering and very little, if anything, getting done.

If I were to go back to 1590 I think I would like to be a witch. It sounds like fun as long as you avoid those areas, like Berwick, where they are killing witches.

message 12: by Kristy (new)

Kristy | 9 comments I like to be a woman of wealth but not enough that I would be sought after by a man who is only looking to have that money. Just enough to be able to live a comfortable life.