Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > June 2015 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited May 07, 2015 12:47AM) (new)

David Gooch | 4083 comments Mod
Nominations are now open for the June Group Reads and will close on 17th May 2015 at midnight GMT. Voting will then be from 18th to 25th May 2015 inclusive.

You may nominate 1 book in each category (1.Group Main Read, 2.Group Value Read)
Value books must be £4($6.02) or less and will also be added from the freebies board or good finds.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be asked to be the discussion moderator.

2) No self-nominations by authors.

3) Please try not to repeat an author we have read in the last year. Check the bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year.
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

4) For your nomination please try and include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

5) Please see thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... for what is a British Mystery if you are unsure.

If you nominate a book that is part of a series please be sure that it can be read as a standalone for those members that may not have read the other books in the series.

message 2: by Geri (last edited May 07, 2015 05:19AM) (new)

Geri Windsor | 12 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/YOUNG-NIXON-P...

More murder,mystery,espionage & double cross in eve of D-Day France & England than is dreamt of even in the wildest reaches of Hercule Poirot or Sherlock Holmes.Available as e-book or paperback.

ONE character later became a real life politician,and several others actually had real lives,but the several murders ARE all big mysteries solved at the end,if that helps.Also the sleuth is VERY original& later found to be VERY English!Many thanks!

message 3: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Johnson | 93 comments I would like someone (me?) to nominate
Brighton Belle. I have to look up the stats to officially nominate it but if someone else has them, please go ahead.

Julie

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 583 comments Mod
Brighton Belle for sure - 99 cents @ Amazon.com. Let's have it for value book.

message 5: by David (new)

Right it is 99 pence in UK as well so it will go down as a value book nomination for Juliann.

The book is
Brighton Belle by Sara Sheridan

message 6: by Juliann (new)

Juliann Johnson | 93 comments Juliann wrote: "I would like someone (me?) to nominate
Brighton Belle. I have to look up the stats to officially nominate it but if someone else has them, please go ahead.

Julie"

thanks Bill! This looks (to me) like a really good read.

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 6 comments I'd like to nominate The Likeness by Tana French for book of the month.

message 8: by David (new)

Kathleen wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Likeness by Tana French for book of the month."

Ok it is over £4 in Uk so would be a main group read nomination. It is set in Dublin which is Republic of Ireland and not British Isles but I think we can stretch it to include Ireland.

message 9: by Bill (new)

I'm wondering this morning how soon books set in Scotland will require a 'stretch' as well!

message 10: by David (new)

Well yes Bill after the general election I know what you mean.

message 11: by David (new)

Right I my nomination for value book read is
Random by Craig Robertson

Random by Craig Robertson

"Glasgow is being terrorised by a serial killer the media have nicknamed The Cutter. The murders have left the police baffled. There seems to be neither rhyme nor reason behind the killings; no kind of pattern or motive; an entirely different method of murder each time, and nothing that connects the victims except for the fact that the little fingers of their right hands have been severed.

If DS Rachel Narey could only work out the key to the seemingly random murders, how and why the killer selects his victims, she would be well on her way to catching him. But as the police, the press and a threatening figure from Glasgow's underworld begin to close in on The Cutter, his carefully-laid plans threaten to unravel - with horrifying consequences."

This is currently 99 pence on Amazon UK in a May monthly deal.

message 12: by Bill (new)

It appears that Amazon.com has this one @ $8.99, which is flat-out ridiculous!

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 6 comments David wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Likeness by Tana French for book of the month."

Ok it is over £4 in Uk so would be a main group read nomination. It is set in Dublin which ..."

I'm new to the book club world and got so excited to nominate a book I forgot were an English Mystery book club not an Irish Mystery book club! I'll find another book to nominate:)

message 14: by David (new)

Bill wrote: "It appears that Amazon.com has this one @ $8.99, which is flat-out ridiculous!"

Actually it is not Bill. It is normally £7.99 in UK but due to this Monthly deal for may it is 99 pence.

I'll have a look at other value books and see if there is another to nominate so it is good value for all.

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara Sheridan How lovely to spy Brighton Belle in here! Thank you. *fingers crossed*

message 16: by David (new)

Right group I am delighted to announce that Sara Sheridan the author of Brighton Belle has agreed to answer questions on the novel if it becomes one of our group reads.

Now nominations are still open for the Value Read which this falls into as it is exceptional value at present. While I don't want to influence members, I would say that it is not often we get the author of the book we are reading available to answer queries and questions as we go along reading it. At present this is the only one in that category to be nominated so unless someone has an over riding desire to nominate and read something else can I say we leave it as Brighton Belle being our value read and concentrate on nominations for the main group read.

message 17: by David (new)

Ok so we have a vote on main book read I will nominate Blue Monday by Nikki French
Blue Monday (Frieda Klein, #1) by Nicci French

message 18: by David (new)

The voting is tied at the moment for the group read so please if you haven't voted get yours in. Voting in the polls section or on bottom of main page.

message 19: by David (new)

Right voting is over and the books for next month are;

The Likeness by Tara French as main group read and

Brighton Belle by Sara Sheridan as the value book read.

message 20: by David (new)

I have added the books to both group stores;

Amazon.com at http://astore.amazon.com/extrem0f-20

Amazon.co.uk at http://astore.amazon.co.uk/kindleengl...

message 21: by Bill (new)

Must get the deck cleared for these two. If you're reading The Likeness for the 1st time, you've a wonderful experience awaiting you.

message 22: by David (new)

And remember Bill we also have the author of Brighton Belle who will answer questions on her book this month. So a good month.

message 23: by Nikkiplans99 (new)

Nikkiplans99 | 68 comments I struggle to read Tara French not sure why, but I can never finish a book and I owe at least 3. I am going to get the audiobook of Brighton Belle so I can get started.

message 24: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 566 comments I have already read The Likeness - excellent read. I love Tana French's books. I did pick up the Brighton Belle on my Kindle so I will read that one.