Web Serial Fiction discussion

Web Serials > Identifying volume, section, chapter, subchapter

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Shapira | 11 comments I am going to launch my web-serial in the next week or so using the WordPress software. Each post will be a sub-chapter.

My question is --- how do I identify which chapter and section each post belongs top? As a matter of fact, I may even some day need to group it into volumes (if the serial runs long enough).

message 2: by Larry (new)

Larry Kollar (lkollar) | 5 comments A lot of people tack the info onto the post title, like one of these:

Cereal Killer, Episode 42: A New Bowl
Cereal Killer - Chapter 4, part 2

If you're planning a really long serial, consider creating a table of contents page with links to chapters or individual episodes. Put a link to that page at the top of each of your serial posts. It's a hassle to maintain, but it'll make it a lot easier on people who need to catch up or find your serial once it's well under way. Here's an example contents page for a 104-part serial I concluded a few years ago: http://farmanor.blogspot.com/p/far-fu...

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Shapira | 11 comments Okay --- thanks for that suggestion. :-)

Of course, I am uploading the episodes as scheduled-posts rather than immediate-posts ---- which raises the question of how to get the Table of Contents to respond to such updates. However, that problem is easily solved. I just need to have the link within the Table of Contents *also* be scheduled. :-) (And scheduled-text within a page is something I *can* do with a plugin I am writing for the purpose of using WordPress as a webserial manager.)