Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Nothing like a good book to send you to sleep! Marketing idea?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 256 comments Caption: Mum, please read us a bedtime story.

photo b700d9bb-1d84-43be-8d2d-d8c8fbffe095_zpself042hj.jpg

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 256 comments A writer is using these sort of pictures, but of her cat, as a marketing tool. What do you think of the idea?

message 4: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 145 comments Depends what the product is; a bit cutesy as an effect, but definitely attention grabbing. Pics need to capture passing glancers on thigns like Twitter. I say go for it!

In actual fact, even one of my own Twitter posts had a Husky in glasses 'reviewing' one of my own offerings (naturally, giving it a 5*). The review was genuine; I just don't think the reviewer was actually a Husky! ;-P But it stood out and gave me a break from flames and naked bodies and horses. :-)

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 256 comments Thanks. For Twitter I'm going to have to take another pic that is more horizontal as these two pics need to be 'clicked' to see the full pic.
Do you think your Twitter post did anything for sales?

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2163 comments Hmm..never would have thought of such a thing. It's definitely an interesting idea and uses the idea of personal pictures to capture a readers attention.

I suppose if the picture and content is fitting for the book itself it can be quite a clever tool.

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 256 comments I thought of making them into a caption contest and awarding a book to the winner.

photo 552bbc23-e52d-45fa-826c-0bb9a7ca2db5_zpsuoh2xm8p.jpg

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Cronk (susancronk) Jan wrote: "I thought of making them into a caption contest and awarding a book to the winner.

"

Very cute.

message 9: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Richards (alyssarichards) This is adorable!!! What kind of terrier?

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 256 comments They are SPCA specials. Probably x maltese.
Has this made for Twitter.

photo 2506b7f0-d1a4-4906-9030-e37023c5b7bd_zpsva2sl9gh.jpg

message 11: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Richards (alyssarichards) Precious! I have one from the pet rescue who looks very similar! Love the graphic...

message 12: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 256 comments Thanks. Had to rush the other one to the emergency vet last night. She was vomiting and passing blood. They put her on a drip. Fetched her this morning and I've just taken her to my own vet in the car with drip still attached! Thank goodness for automatics as I had to drive almost one-handed!

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Richards (alyssarichards) Oh, bless her. I hope everything is okay now! Did they diagnose the problem?
I went through the same thing with mine several months ago, thankfully we were able to remedy her problems with a switch to a raw diet - Blue Ridge Beef.

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 256 comments @Alyssa. Thanks for caring. Just brought her home. The vet seems to have done several tests to rule out certain conditions. Still not sure what the actual cause was so will take her back when she's fully recovered to have some more blood tests. Have to give her tablets etc. Going to be fun getting them down her throat when she's not really eating and is only supposed to have dry kibbles.

message 15: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Schwimley (victoriaschwimley) | 95 comments Jan wrote: "A writer is using these sort of pictures, but of her cat, as a marketing tool. What do you think of the idea?"

I like it. Everyone knows animals sale.