Reading the Chunksters discussion

Where Tigers Are at Home
This topic is about Where Tigers Are at Home
Archive 2015: Literary Readathon > Where Tigers Are At Home - Week 4

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amanda (tnbooklover) | 149 comments Week 4 Chapters 13 - 16

We hit the halfway point this week but wow I don't feel like we are getting anywhere. This is turning into a bit of a frustrating read for me. The only part of the story I'm really interested in is Elaine's and we get such a tiny bit of her story in each 100 pages. I just want to skip her parts.

We did learn a little more about the Colonel - he's an even bigger asshole than I first thought. I loved the scene with him and Lordana and the car. I like her. And we also got a tiny bit of connection between the Colonel and Nelson and Ze.

It was pretty much more of the same from everybody else. I'm having a really hard time connecting with this story and understanding where it's going. I'm very concerned for Elaine and her group. I'm not sure how they are going to get out of the mess they are in especially with Dietlev's leg.

So what do you guys think? Are you putting it together better than I am. I feel like I'm missing the point a lot of the time. I'm hoping things come together better in the second half.

Teanka It took me a long time to finish this part, I hope I can do a better job of the rest of the book and catch you before you finish. (edit:I see Amanda has already read the book, so that's no longer feasible unfortunately).

This fragment was in my opinion better than the last. But I'm starting to understand what I don't like about this novel. It has to do with the author's negative attitude towards both the characters and the world in general. I mostly agree with his description of how horrible the poor' and the Indians' situation in Brazil is, but he doesn't seem to describe it with any kind of sympathy (see Nelson's behavior, peeing in public etc. or Soledade in Eleazard story etc.)He also mentions that the fishermen in Moema's chapters don't want to work more, they're lazy etc. I guess if this critique was done by a Brazilian author, I'd have accepted it but I fail to see the point why Blas de Robles, who is French, chose to combine a story about Brazil with a story about Kircher. Taken together, it is an explosive mixture of pessimism and disgruntlement, and for most of the time I fail to get any pleasure from reading it.