Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Flannery O'Connor
This topic is about Flannery O'Connor
Specific List Authors > Flannery O'Connor

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 50 comments All the stories in Everything That Rises Must Converge: Stories should be included in The Complete Stories. So The Complete Stories is a better deal.

I know I've read either Wise Blood or The Violent Bear it Away, but I can't remember which... Guess that means I should buy and read both.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (deinonychus) | 244 comments The Complete Stories also contains some short stories that were later revised to form chapters of Wise Blood, and one that became the opening chapter of The Violent Bear it Away.

message 4: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 50 comments That might be why I'm confused as to which one I haven't read since I've read The Complete Stories.

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 35 comments I just finished The Violent Bear It Away and although I enjoyed the book, I'm still trying to understand it. Has anyone else read it?

message 6: by Mon67 (new)

Mon67 | 20 comments I read The Violent Bear It Away, I liked it, but did not go crazy about it. What aspects are you still trying to understand?

message 7: by Vicky (new)

Vicky | 35 comments The great uncle seems to represent some weird Jesus-like character. The stranger represents the devil. There is a battle over the little boy's soul. The nephew/uncle represents the academic/scientific community who are anti-religion. In the end, Tarwater finds that his hunger is satisfied by the bread of life?

I'm not sue if my interpretation right.