What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. What's the name of series, 3 books, or author? [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (chuggie) | 3 comments from email: cheriturow@gmail.com
summary: forgot name of ebook

This is a historical fiction trilogy for adults, must be at least a few years old, and can only remember key items:
Medieval era, England, France, Italy
Main topic: Building tallest Cathedral in England
Characters: Jack Builder, descendants and more!
Author begins one book with a peasant girl watching her foreigner father hang, accused of stealing, a false charge brought about by clergy's deceit; this child grows up in the forest, meets a builder traversing counties with his starving family looking for work when his wife dies and the woman of the forest begets him a son Jack(also to be a Builder).
Author concentrates on everyday lives in priory village, its monks, prior, alderman, wealthy landowners as well as peasants.
In another sequel, from riches to rags to riches again: wealthy father but factors lead his children to destitution: the girl, trying to take care of her young brother, decides that prostitution is not how she will make money & buys wool from multiple shearers, taking it to market to make a bit of money, later creating cloth using new technology created by her childhood friend & builder that pounds cloth more efficiently, and her finally coming up with a dye of brilliant red color, causing her much wealth and the town more prosperity.
This same woman's childhood friend & builder will eventually end up together but not before she marries someone else not for love but ability for her brother to be provided for. She is treated worse than a dog by husband, refuses to submit to this degradation and enters the nunnery. Unfortunately the builder (friends since childhood) who loves her is frustrated by her obligations to her new role in life.

Another main plot- This same builder designs a cathedral using innovative building designs and
travels across countries of France & Italy to see several cathedrals, designs never before seen in England. He meets and marries an Italian (?) woman (as his childhood love is a nun now), has a child, his wife and thousands of others die from the PLAGUE both here and at his home in England. Of course the 2 childhood friends end up together after many years of trials and tribulations!

These are some of the events I remembered in the trilogy except for the author's name nor titles of the books! I am so sad as it is a favorite and hope that somehow you or other readers can help me figure out the author or title(s).
Please help!!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited May 05, 2015 08:52PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Sequel is World without End - I'm not aware of a third volume. But there could be one I guess.

message 3: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (chuggie) | 3 comments thank you so so much Lobstergirl. I remain in your debt.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
That's okay, I absolve you.

message 5: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (chuggie) | 3 comments You obviously have a great wealth of knowledge in your head, and am grateful to have been the recipient of a tiny piece of it. I'm turning 60 having lost memory mostly due to disease. I so admire those who keep their minds sharp, especially as advancing in years. And thanks for the absolution!
I end the blog with this note as I guess this is not the venue for non-book comments. But you're worth it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Pillars of the Earth (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ken Follett (other topics)