FINDING AUDREY READ-ALONG discussion

AN EMBER IN THE ASHES > #EMBERSPLOSION | PART I THE RAID (Pages 1-121)

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jesse (JesseTheReader) (jessethereader) | 210 comments Mod
AND WE'RE OFF! How did you guys feel about this first part? Are you intrigued? Any predictions?

message 2: by Carson (new)

Carson | 11 comments Ok so I haven't started this yet, but can I just say how excited I am to actually start reading this! Like just YAASS! It's actually sitting on my bookshelf. I don't even need to go buy it! Hallelujah!

message 3: by Ana (new)

Ana (allwillendindoom) | 5 comments i'm only 50 pages in but so far i'm enjoying Elias' story more.

message 4: by bhavi (new)

bhavi (bhavireadsalittle) | 3 comments This book is off to a great start and I am enjoying both POVs up till now. I have become really fond of Elias' mantra:
"The swordpoint is my priest. The dance of death is my prayer. The killing blow is my release."
(view spoiler)
I am really looking forward to continuing on with this book and I have to say, till now this book deserves all the hype that is surrounding it!

message 5: by Molly (new)

Molly | 15 comments Morgannah wrote: "So I have a question for everyone. There is a marked physical difference between the Scholars and the Martials. I understand that the Martials are taller and larger but what other differences are ..."

You find out a bit later in the book that Scholars and Tribesmen have dilated pupils or something? Just wider and darker pupils I think.

message 6: by Ifrah (new)

Ifrah Alia (infinitebooklist) | 6 comments Just finished the first part and I'm really loving it so far!

Morgannah wrote: "Did anyone else have difficulties picturing the setting? I had read it would be similar to old Rome but I just couldn't visualize it."

I didn't really have difficulty visualizing the setting but I think knowing that it was based on Ancient Rome really helped because it gives you a base point to start with.

message 7: by Gabby (new)

Gabby | 2 comments I'm on page 35, but I'm so intrigued. I already like Elias and Demetrius. My new book crushes! Haha. I am already getting into it!

message 8: by Ana (new)

Ana (allwillendindoom) | 5 comments this book is soooo good so far, i'm impressed. What bothers me though is the constant mention of rape. just want everyone who is triggered by it to know

message 9: by Ranada (new)

Ranada Givens (southernbookwrym) | 8 comments I started this book a few days ago and havn't been able to read a whole lot because of my work schedule, but I absolutely love this book and dont want to put it down ever.

message 10: by Ana (new)

Ana (allwillendindoom) | 5 comments Morgannah wrote:"It is indeed a disturbing worl..."

oh god yeah. the thing that happened with marcus was so gross and made my skin crawl. and the poor servant girls ugh

message 11: by Alisha (new)

Alisha (moonlightreader_) | 1 comments I love this book is so fast paced and the plot is enthralling. I really like Elias and Helene, however I am still warming up to Laia.

message 12: by Serialreader (new)

Serialreader | 1 comments I just started it and I have to say, it's a strong start

message 13: by Jessica Andrews (new)

Jessica Andrews | 1 comments I just finished the first part and I'm really enjoying the characterization and knowing their motives for the things they want, too often I think characters want things that we don't understand why but I understand clearly both Laia's and Elias' motivations for their actions.

message 14: by Alex (new)

Alex Horsey (eternallibrarian) | 3 comments I'm enjoying this book very much so far! I was touched by Laia's sacrifice for her brother, it made me wonder if I would do the same. Elias' reluctance to submit to his fate reminds me that we don't always get what we want. I'm enjoying the two POV's, and I love the fact that the story is written in first person. So far, five stars!

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilygtree) | 2 comments Morgannah wrote: "Did anyone else have difficulties picturing the setting? I had read it would be similar to old Rome but I just couldn't visualize it."
Same here for me too!! I kept trying to picture it more game of thrones like not even sure if it's right or not

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (the_leaky_cauldrons) | 2 comments I am enjoying this book but it took a little bit for me to really get into it. Does anyone else feel the same? Otherwise the different POV is very interesting and helps me picture the world as a whole. I am excited to continue!

message 17: by Ifrah (last edited May 11, 2015 01:24PM) (new)

Ifrah Alia (infinitebooklist) | 6 comments Kelly wrote: "I am enjoying this book but it took a little bit for me to really get into it. Does anyone else feel the same? Otherwise the different POV is very interesting and helps me picture the world as a wh..."

Same here and I think, for me, it mostly had to do with the fact that the book jumps right into the story and there isn't much initial foundation-laying and so it took me a little bit to keep up with all the different characters. After a few chapters though, it was really easy to keep up and I was totally into the book.

message 18: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (noodlez88) | 13 comments It took a while for me to get into it. But after 45 pages, I was hooked! The world is so interesting. I like how you get the different perspectives. Like the civilian and the troops.

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (priceiswong) Just finished the first part! It's pretty good so far.. But I'm more excited to read Elias POV than Laias for some reason. I hate that she's having to pretend to be a slave for the resistance... I know it's for her brother.. But she may not even survive to save him!

message 20: by Bella (new)

Bella (barerose) | 2 comments It also took me a while to get into this book. I kept putting it down after I read a couple pages. But now that I've gotten through the first part, it's really got my interest, especially Elias' POV!

Natalie (Something Bookish This Way Comes) (somethingbookishthiswaycomes) | 1 comments I actually didn't have any trouble getting into it. I found it kind of refreshing to read a book that didn't start off with a lot of foundation-laying and got right into the story and did some foundation-laying along the way. I love the alternating perspectives. I'm still kind of warming up to Helene. I think it's because in the beginning I got the impression that she approved of everything that the Empire does, but now that I know that's not the case, I'm starting to like her. I really enjoy reading Elias' POV and his struggle to "face his destiny." I also really like Laia's POV. I love that the emphasis on her flaws starts early on and that the emphasis comes from her thoughts and her actions, instead of just her actions. Because her thoughts tell us that she really wants to work through those flaws, even though it's very difficult to do which makes me optimistic about her character development.

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (priceiswong) So is it confirmed there will be more books?!

message 23: by Petuli (new)

Petuli | 4 comments I like the book so far. There's not so much of a worldbuilding so it feels like quite a quick read. I like both POV but I am looking forward to mixing those two stories :)

message 24: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 14 comments Very intriguing so far! I can't wait to see how these two stories intertwine.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna | 2 comments Love it!!!!

message 26: by Aileen (new)

Aileen (aileenberg) Been waiting to get my hands on this forever but I'm stuck on page 40 and GAH!!! Everyone seems to love it and I WANT TO LOVE IT SO BADLY! I'm really confused with the whole world and I need some encouragement to keep reading!!!

message 27: by Aileen (new)

Aileen (aileenberg) Been waiting to get my hands on this forever but I'm stuck on page 40 and GAH!!! Everyone seems to love it and I WANT TO LOVE IT SO BADLY! I'm really confused with the whole world and I need some encouragement to keep reading!!!

message 28: by Aileen (new)

message 29: by Aileen (new)

message 30: by Aileen (new)

message 31: by Aileen (new)

message 32: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 5 comments keep reading, Aileen, IMO....

message 33: by Elena-Loredana (new)

Elena-Loredana | 6 comments Keep reading it, Aileen, and if you are confused with the world try to find some pictures of the Roman Empire or any other ancient civilization, it makes it easier to picture the world. That's what I did when I could not picture something or an object :).

message 34: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Blanch (hopelessbookaddict) Oh man this is absolutely epic so far! I love both the POVs and I love that they both have their own unique voice. I'm really interested to see how their stories connect and how the romance plays out - it looks like there may be 2 main couples?
Also, I'm almost positive Laia's brothers voice in her head and the dark phantom are connected. Some sort of wraith or whatever?
The world is so sickening and terrible but I'm so intrigued! Can't wait to see what happens!!

message 35: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Blanch (hopelessbookaddict) Never mind guys. 2 pages into the next section "for a second, I forget my name".
Definitely one main couple

message 36: by Ryan (last edited May 19, 2015 09:58PM) (new)

Ryan (wordswordswords1) | 1 comments I have a feeling to how this book will end. If what I think is right then this will be an interesting turn of events.

message 37: by Kiara (new)

Kiara Soleil | 2 comments This book is fantastic so far. The world and characters are fascinating and intriguing. The writing is rich. I'm not sure if I can pick which POV I find more interesting because they're both awesome. I hope this continues to just get better and better!

message 38: by Carson (new)

Carson | 11 comments Unlike some other people in the discussion board I found this book incredibly easy to get into. I was a little hesitant to read chapter 2 though because I had just started with a new character and I didn't want to get right into another character after I just read about one, but I read it anyway and now I'm on the ball with each of them (although Elias is my favourite character to read about so far) I'm actually on part 2 currently and am loving the trials! And even Laias task is extremely difficult and I am extremely nervous for her! But yes, this book started off on a high note for me, let's just hope it finishes that way too!

message 39: by Teddy Bear (new)

Teddy Bear Books | 8 comments DANG!
This is amazing! Way to go Sabaa! I can't believe this is a debut novel.

message 40: by readinghedgehog (new)

readinghedgehog | 2 comments I really enjoyed the first part. The setting was just great and I love the characters. I'm really looking forward to reading the next part. I cannot wait to dive into it! :)

message 41: by Elena-Loredana (new)

Elena-Loredana | 6 comments I knew that something was off with the resistance.

message 42: by Elena-Loredana (new)

Elena-Loredana | 6 comments I knew that something was off with the resistance.

message 43: by Margarita (new)

Margarita (lostmycatinspace) I may be late but I just finished the first part! I enjoyed it so much more than I'd expected.
For me it was really easy to get into the story. The writing and plot is really smooth and quick to read. There isn't that much world-building so I still feel a bit detached from the world. But I'm slowly learning more and more and can't wait to read the next part :)

message 44: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Curbow | 1 comments I really enjoyed Elias's POV more than Laia's up until we got the suspense of her spying. I really enjoyed sitting on the edge of my seat, wondering the the Commandant is going to catch Laia or not

message 45: by Teddy Bear (new)

Teddy Bear Books | 8 comments Garrett wrote: "I really enjoyed Elias's POV more than Laia's up until we got the suspense of her spying. I really enjoyed sitting on the edge of my seat, wondering the the Commandant is going to catch Laia or not"
I totally agree! It ends up getting really good for Laia's point of view later in the book, but at the start it was just kind of her dealing with the guilt of leaving her brother.

message 46: by Sara (new)

Sara Will | 3 comments It's very hard for me to remember all these characters. I know I'm late but oh well.

Adrianna [SypherLily] (sypherlily) I'm reading this late as well, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it :D

message 48: by Sara (new)

Sara Will | 3 comments It was fantastic.