Writers of Color Book Club discussion

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante, #1)
Book Discussions > Aristotle & Dante... - Remember the Rain & All Secrets of the Universe

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adira (introvertinterrupted) | 391 comments Mod
Here we will be discussions sections five and six of Aristotle & Dante Discover the Universe, Remember the Rain & All Secrets of the Universe. Please make sure you use the (view spoiler) to hide any plot twist or concerns.

Louise (atrixa) I really enjoyed this book! I felt that all the themes were handled really sensitively, the characters were well developed and Ari's development was well paced and completely believable.

Louise wrote: "I really enjoyed this book! I felt that all the themes were handled really sensitively, the characters were well developed and Ari's development was well paced and completely believable."

Agreed! The pacing for this book was really well written and the characters were ones that I really felt for. My only issue came at the end.

(view spoiler)

Marion (mariongnd) Overall, I liked the book, even though the constant repetition of lines became a bit annoying to me (I mean characters repeating each other sentences).

My main "concern" with the book is this: (view spoiler).

I agree with what Adira said.

Marion wrote: "Overall, I liked the book, even though the constant repetition of lines became a bit annoying to me (I mean characters repeating each other sentences).

My main "concern" with the book is this: [sp..."

Ah! So true! I was all sold on the ending up until the last pages. I loved Ari's family dynamic as Alire Saenz wrote it. Up til the last pages I really though the author's writing style was honest and true to form of two teenage boys coming of age. (view spoiler)

message 6: by Kristel (last edited May 21, 2015 11:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristel (fanarchist) This was my attempt to address Marion's comments, but it ended up being very, circuitous and not really an answer at all. This is just my attempt to suss out why I thought the ending felt effective.

(view spoiler)

Louise (atrixa) Kristel, I really connected with your interpretation of the themes and the ending. It was never a particularly overt theme, like it was when we read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao for example, but I felt it simmering through the book all the same.

How did you guys feel about the setting of this novel? It's set in the late 80's, but personally I didn't get any sense of place from the writing.

message 8: by Elizabeth (last edited May 24, 2015 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elizabeth | 11 comments Kristel I also like what you said about the theme of masculinity, as well as this being a nice example of two boys who fall in love with each other as opposed to one pining over the other.

I thought this book was very sweet, and I understand why so many people really love it. I also really liked the dynamic between Ari and his parents and enjoyed reading about them becoming closer as a family. However, one of the things that didn't work so well for me was (view spoiler)

As for the setting of the novel, I think it could have taken place in the present day. There wasn't too much tying it to the 1980s except for the occasional mention of La Bamba. I liked that it took place in El Paso because I loved the visual of them driving out to the desert and looking at the stars.

Mochajunkie | 6 comments I agree with all of the criticisms above. The book didn't have to end the way it did. But it was ok that it did. I enjoyed it so much. I really liked seeing the world through a teenage boy.

I mentioned in the other discussion section, that even the side story of Ileana said a lot. Her presence, lack of commitment and then her disappearance. I think I wanted more reaction from Ari. He's living in the 'ecotone' between childhood and adulthood, and she moved from one to the other suddenly and disappeared.

I'm so glad I read this book.