Fringe Fiction Unlimited discussion

Marketing/Writer Resources > Editing services for indie authors

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 587 comments Hello again, fellow Fringies!

So my wife and I are moving to Hawaii soon. I also want to make a larger contribution to our Fringie/indie community. I've had personal interactions with many authors who lament the expense of editing, and even some who have paid good money and gotten crap work in return.

So I'm putting myself out there as a freelance editor.

Here are my basic rates:
$1.50/page: proofreading (this includes grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc)
$2.00/page: copyediting (this includes the above plus rewording sentences, suggesting new adjectives, inconsistencies, etc). This will also entail the creation of a style sheet for later editors to use.
$4.00/page: developmental editing (this includes comments about what in your story is working, which scenes should be expanded/cut, etc).

I'm happy to work with our indie authors on installment payments, and all of my proofreading/copyediting is backed up by a guarantee. If you find any mistakes, I'll go back in and fix it again at no extra charge.

I know it's hard to find good, cost-effective editors as an independent author...and not all of us can do it ourselves.

Thanks, and keep writing!

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1826 comments Mod
I seriously hope you get nibbles, if only because "payment plan" lol. I genuinely believe authors are good for the money, you know, but not everyone just has $500+ bucks lying around.

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) The payment plan is the best part. All paid editing services out there expect you to drop hundreds of dollars at once. Some of us are on a budget. Yeesh.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 587 comments Thanks, Courtney!

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 587 comments Exactly, Lily. That's one of the biggest problems that I've noticed as well. Right now I'm doing a job for someone and they're like, "Can I pay you $100 every few weeks?"

"Sure."

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Jason wrote: "Exactly, Lily. That's one of the biggest problems that I've noticed as well. Right now I'm doing a job for someone and they're like, "Can I pay you $100 every few weeks?"

"Sure.""

That makes perfect sense.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1352 comments Mod
So you already have the money to move to Hawaii..see if you used the money from your editing services then said you were going to Hawaii I'd say your on some shady business lol.

I may consider your services Jason, when I'm done with Opium Warfare I'm gonna need an editor so I'll probably be looking at a few candidates.

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 587 comments Cool beans :)

message 9: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) Payment plans, you are a saint. Even if I never use your service, that is just wonderful. Though i am curious as to your skills in development. What genres have you worked in? Or, if you're still figuring that out, interested in working?

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 587 comments I've worked (informally) on UF, Sci-fi. I have a High Fantasy I'm doing (for pay) right now.

message 11: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) The usuals then, cool cool.

message 12: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 587 comments Sure, but I'm open to anything really. Obviously, if I get into your story and you've misrepresented it (say, it's actually a story glamorizing child rape, for example) then I'll give it back and not charge you.

Otherwise, I think of it as yet another way to expand my reading as well as help others.

message 13: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) Oh god, that would be fucking horrible.

message 14: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Wells | 1826 comments Mod
I'm glamorizing murderous puppetry and creepy mannequins, so I hope I'm not in that boat lol

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 587 comments ;)

Only you can tell...

message 16: by Jacek (new)

Jacek Slay Just a quick question for Jason: what is a "page"? I mean, how do you measure it? Any specific character count? Word count? Any other way..?

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason Crawford (jasonpatrickcrawford) | 587 comments Industry standard page: 250 words (rounded down to the closest multiple).