Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2) Never Fade discussion

Jude

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sic Transit Gloria Let's all face the music: Jude was just a cheap imitation of Zu. Like, are really bargain-basement version.

The similarities are amazingly obvious. Both are relatively immature. Both are Yellows. Both provide a character to be doted on. Both have to be carried along most of the time, but somehow produce amazing acts when they're needed.

Zu fulfilled this role well. Jude, not so much. For one, I can't believe he's fifteen. He acts less then ten. For another, he's either pathetic or amazing in effectiveness. Zu did this too, but not nearly to the extent Jude does.

To me, it's almost like Alexandra Bracken just really wanted to write Zu into this, but accidentally locked out that possibility when she sent Zu packing last book.

Your thoughts?

Diana Braxton Sic Transit Gloria wrote: "Let's all face the music: Jude was just a cheap imitation of Zu. Like, are really bargain-basement version.

The similarities are amazingly obvious. Both are relatively immature. Both are Yellows. ..."

Yes, it does seem like Alexandra wanted to write Zu but had locked her out so took a Jude, but at the same time, it feels like Jude is his own unique character. I personally prefer Jude because he feels more real, where Zu just feels weak.

nicole Sic Transit Gloria wrote: "Let's all face the music: Jude was just a cheap imitation of Zu. Like, are really bargain-basement version.

The similarities are amazingly obvious. Both are relatively immature. Both are Yellows. ..."

Both are young Yellows that Ruby feels very protective of. Personality-wise, the only two things similar about them was that they both wear their hearts on their sleeves and are pretty trusting. Besides that, I found their personalities to be quite different.

For one, Jude is a LOUD presence in a scene while Zu is the exact opposite. Zu is a lot more mature and intuitive than Jude. Jude needs to be filled in on everything and only has one moment where he's really intuitive, while Zu had several in TDM. I can't imagine Jude ever having the confidence and resilience to pick up and leave East River the way Zu did. Jude's also a lot more sensitive than Zu.

Yes, there are similarities, and authors always have tropes that they like - in this case "protagonist's adopted little sibling" - but I didn't find them similar as people, and the fact that they are both Yellows didn't take anything away from the story.

message 4: by Allie (new)

Miscellaneous Allie My big problem with Jude is he's written so endearingly, but Ruby literally treats him like shit, and it's making me really dislike her.
I was thinking he's a ripoff Zu, but I'm also not very far into the book. Maybe Ruby becomes less of a giant dickhole.

nicole Allie wrote: "My big problem with Jude is he's written so endearingly, but Ruby literally treats him like shit, and it's making me really dislike her.
I was thinking he's a ripoff Zu, but I'm also not very far ..."

I thought the way Ruby was written in the beginning of Never Fade was really interesting and made a lot of sense, but yes, she is at first a giant dickhole. Jude isn't perfect either. They both develop throughout and so does their relationship.