YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Lovely Bones
This topic is about The Lovely Bones
BUDDY READ: Mystery/Crime > The Lovely Bones By Alice Sebold - Restarting May 3rd 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
The Lovely Bones is the story of a family devastated by a gruesome murder -- a murder recounted by the teenage victim. Upsetting, you say? Remarkably, first-time novelist Alice Sebold takes this difficult material and delivers a compelling and accomplished exploration of a fractured family's need for peace and closure.

The details of the crime are laid out in the first few pages: from her vantage point in heaven, Susie Salmon describes how she was confronted by the murderer one December afternoon on her way home from school. Lured into an underground hiding place, she was raped and killed. But what the reader knows, her family does not. Anxiously, we keep vigil with Susie, aching for her grieving family, desperate for the killer to be found and punished.

Sebold creates a heaven that's calm and comforting, a place whose residents can have whatever they enjoyed when they were alive -- and then some. But Susie isn't ready to release her hold on life just yet, and she intensely watches her family and friends as they struggle to cope with a reality in which she is no longer a part. To her great credit, Sebold has shaped one of the most loving and sympathetic fathers in contemporary literature.

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments Tana--if you see this, I've finished the read and can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

(view spoiler)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 1681 comments (view spoiler)

Sharon Mariampillai | 9815 comments Elizabeth wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84061 comments Mod
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting February 11th 2016. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 329 comments Thank you :)

message 13: by Ritu (new) - added it

Ritu (ritu_r) | 138 comments (Just commenting to get notifs )

Christina | 4418 comments I will join you guys in Feb!

message 15: by Edit~A (last edited Feb 11, 2016 03:48AM) (new)

Edit~A (edit-a) | 4232 comments I'm starting! Hopefully it won't be a drag!

Christina | 4418 comments Same!

End of chapter 1
(view spoiler)

message 17: by Edit~A (last edited Feb 11, 2016 05:25AM) (new)

Edit~A (edit-a) | 4232 comments [Chapter 1]
(view spoiler)

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 329 comments I'll be starting this a day late because I'm behind on a book that needs to be reviewed by tomorrow.

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments will join you guys for this :)

Christina wrote: "Same!

End of chapter 1
[spoilers removed]"

Ditto

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 329 comments Chapter 1

(view spoiler)

Great start though.

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Chapter 4 (view spoiler)

Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 329 comments Through Chapter 4

(view spoiler)

Christina | 4418 comments Chapter 4
(view spoiler)

Christina | 4418 comments End of chapter 9
(view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Chapter 6 (view spoiler)

Chapter 8 (view spoiler)

Chapter 9 (view spoiler)

Chapter 10 (view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Christina wrote: "End of chapter 9
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 2446 comments Ending thoughts (view spoiler)

Christina | 4418 comments Chapter 12
(view spoiler)

Christina | 4418 comments End of chapter 14
(view spoiler)

Christina | 4418 comments Chapter 16 (Snapshots)
(view spoiler)

Christina | 4418 comments Ending
(view spoiler)

Abbie | 27856 comments Mod
****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from May 3rd 2016

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Cinthia | 5775 comments I really am a little apprehensive about reading this book because I know it's gonna be a tear jerker... but I do know it's gonna be so much better than the movie...

Tayane Cristie (taycristie) | 2886 comments Starting!

Tayane Cristie (taycristie) | 2886 comments Chapter 1

(view spoiler)

Jessie | 57 comments Ch 4 (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5775 comments Starting....

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Starting.

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Chapter 1: (view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Chapter 3: (view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Chapter 4: (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5775 comments 21% end of chapter 6: (view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Cinthia wrote: "21% end of chapter 6: [spoilers removed]"

I know! (view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Chapter 7: (view spoiler)
Chapter 8: that was quite a short chapter. (view spoiler)

message 45: by Jackie (last edited May 07, 2016 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Chapter 14: (view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Tayane wrote: "Chapter 1

[spoilers removed]"

I should go back and watch the movie as I saw it when I was really little and didn't understand much. (view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Chapter 16: (view spoiler)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4391 comments Finished: I really liked the book.

Cinthia | 5775 comments 67% (view spoiler)

Cinthia | 5775 comments Pg 298. (view spoiler)

« previous 1