The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Important Items > Nominations now open for the May/June Group Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8600 comments Mod
Nominations are now open for the May/June Group Read. You may nominate a book beginning today, going through May 10th. Voting will start the 11th, and run through the 13th. Once a winner is decided, threads for the group reads will be posted.

Once again we need to post the general rules for Group Reads nominations:

1) Important: If your nomination wins, you will be the discussion moderator. Please do not nominate a book unless you're willing to do this. NOTE: If a book you've nominated in the past won and you did not participate in the discussion, we will NOT consider your nominations in the future. Sorry to be hardcore on this, but it's happened twice now within the last year.

2) One (1) nomination only per person. Please read this next sentence carefully: Neither self-nominations by authors nor nominations by their respective publishers or publicist will be accepted.

3) Do not cheat or manipulate results. It is not acceptable to create fake accounts to nominate books or vote in polls and it is not acceptable to invite people to the site for the sole purpose of nominating a book or voting for a book in a poll. It is not acceptable to ask for votes or influence the poll in any way. If the moderators feel that a group read poll has been manipulated, the book in question will be disqualified. If the moderators feel that the user(s) are fake accounts, these will be reported to Goodreads for further review.

4) Please do not repeat an author we have read in the last year. For the sake of expediency, here's the list or you can just look back through May of last year going forward, and you'll know which authors NOT to include.

5) For your nomination please include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

6) Since we are an international group, please check to make sure the book is readily available in more than one format. The last thing we want is to nominate a book that no one can get.

7) Finally, a word about series - Please consider whether the book you are nominating would be best read by someone who has read all the previous books in the series, or if it can be enjoyed by someone new to the series too.

Have fun and good luck!!

message 2: by ❆ Crystal ❆ (last edited May 05, 2015 03:16PM) (new)

❆ Crystal ❆ (crystal_wright) | 310 comments I'd like to nominate Memory Man Memory Man by David Baldacci by David Baldacci

message 3: by Stu (last edited May 05, 2015 06:18AM) (new)

Stu Strumwasser (stustrumwasser) The Organ Broker by Stu Strumwasser The Organ BrokerI would like to please nominate my own book, THE ORGAN BROKER, which was released today (literally.)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

The Organ Broker is the gripping story of an underground black market organ dealer known as “New York Jack.” For eighteen years Jack has been a “transplant tourism director,” sending wealthy Americans and Europeans in need of kidneys and other organs to third world countries where they would buy them from transplant centers on the take. The death of a client and a newfound relationship lead to a crisis of conscience as he is forced to choose between a two million dollar commission—and participating in a murder. Jack races to South Africa, Brazil, and beyond, just one step ahead of his adversary and the FBI, in search of one small act of redemption.

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Stu: it sounds very interesting, but if you read our rule #2 above, authors can't nominate their own books. Sorry.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Simmons | 2 comments My nomination: The Hidden Child by Camilla Lackberg http://www.camillalackberg.com/crime-...

This seems to be a serious group and I'm pleased to have found it. Thank you.

message 6: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Welcome, Lynn. Sadly, the group recently read Lackberg's The Ice Princess: A Novel, so perhaps you'd like to make another nomination?

Below is a link to the list of what we've read ... if you could please nominate an author we haven't read within the last year, that's how we do it.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Simmons | 2 comments Thanks. My error. I should have read to the bottom of your list.

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

You actually only have to go through May -- anything author prior to May 2014 is pretty much fair game.

message 9: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Time of Death. Can't get enough of Thorne and Mark Billingham is definately back in form.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 10 comments You Will Never Find Me

This is the second in a series, but I had no trouble reading it without having yet read #1.

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylkerwin) I would like to nominate "Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales" by Randy Singer
Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales

message 12: by Sherrie (new)

message 13: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5415 comments Mod
I'll nominate The Butcher's Boy (Butcher's Boy, #1) by Thomas Perry by Thomas Perry.

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

In honor of the passing of Ruth Rendell, I'd like to nominate her first Wexford novel, From Doon With Death.

message 15: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5415 comments Mod
Nancy wrote: "In honor of the passing of Ruth Rendell, I'd like to nominate her first Wexford novel, From Doon With Death."

I considered that as well.. :)

message 17: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 977 comments I figure I will come out of the closet and reveal one of my guilty pleasures. I nominate The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1) by Rob Thomas . What can I say? I loved the series and want to check out the books.

message 18: by andrea (new)

andrea (spiritbox) Tom wrote: "I figure I will come out of the closet and reveal one of my guilty pleasures. I nominateThe Thousand-Dollar Tan Line (Veronica Mars, #1) by Rob Thomas. What can I say? I loved the series and want to check out t..."

Second!

message 19: by Janebbooks (new)

Janebbooks | 30 comments Bill wrote: "I'll nominate The Butcher's Boy (Butcher's Boy, #1) by Thomas Perry by Thomas Perry."

This is a great nomination. I'll second reading THE BUTCHER'S BOY by Thomas Perry.'

My book club read it two or three years ago: they are still talking about it!

Jane

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Pagan | 1 comments I nominate Bootlegger's Daughter by Margaret Maron . It's Southern and smart.

message 21: by Scott (new)

Scott Ivlow (scottinwinterhaven) | 208 comments I nominate The Prince A Novel by Vito Bruschini I wonder how far this one will go.

message 22: by Nicolas (new)

Nicolas | 1 comments I'd like to nominate "Eye of the needle", great novel written by Ken Follett. I read this novel last year and I loved it. It uses the real story of second world war and integrates it in a fantastic spy novel.
Eye of the Needle

message 23: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Patricia wrote: "I nominate Bootlegger's Daughter by Margaret Maron. It's Southern and smart."

I love that book.

message 24: by Nadia (new)

Nadia (nadthepod) | 20 comments The Dark by James Herbert

message 25: by Tom (new)

Tom | 141 comments Ha Ha. I was going to nominate Child 44. That would have been embarrassing. Guess I need to start reading!

message 26: by andrea (new)

andrea (spiritbox) Nadia wrote: "The Dark by James Herbert"

I also second this one, it's on my bookshelf just waiting for me.

message 27: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 977 comments Tom wrote: "Ha Ha. I was going to nominate Child 44. That would have been embarrassing. Guess I need to start reading!"

Embarrassing or not, it would have been a good choice. ;>)

message 28: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5415 comments Mod
Tom wrote: "Tom wrote: "Ha Ha. I was going to nominate Child 44. That would have been embarrassing. Guess I need to start reading!"

Embarrassing or not, it would have been a good choice. ;>)"

It was a great choice.. :)

message 29: by Alisha (last edited May 05, 2015 05:35PM) (new)

Alisha | 1 comments Andrew Kaufman
Twisted
The psychologist with a troubled past…

Dr. Christopher Kellan spends his days at Loveland Psychiatric Hospital, overseeing a unit known as Alpha Twelve, home to the most deranged and psychotic killers imaginable. His newest patient, Donny Ray Smith, is accused of murdering ten young girls and making their bodies disappear. But during his first encounter with Donny, Christopher finds something else unsettling: the man looks familiar.

The killer with a secret…

Donny Ray knows things about Christopher—things he couldn’t have possibly learned at Loveland. As the psychologist delves deeper into the mysterious patient’s case, Christopher’s life whirls out of control. The contours of his mind are rapidly losing shape, and his grasp on reality is slipping even faster. Is he going mad, or is that what Donny Ray wants him to think?

The terror that binds them…

In this taut psychological thriller from Andrew E. Kaufman, bestselling author of The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted, a tormented man must face his fear and enter the mind of a killer to find the truth…even if it costs him his sanity.

message 30: by Katya (new)

Katya (katya_sb) | 1 comments I second the Girl on the Train. sounds interesting )

message 31: by Philip (new)

Philip Mordue (PhilMordue) Sherrie wrote: "I nominate The Girl on the Train"

I heard a lot of buzz about this for the latter half of last year. I just know because of that if I pick it up then it's either going to be amazing or a complete letdown after hearing all the hype.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Philip wrote: "Sherrie wrote: "I nominate The Girl on the Train"

I heard a lot of buzz about this for the latter half of last year. I just know because of that if I pick it up then it's either go..."

I'm leery of this after Gone Girl . . .

message 33: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Okay -- going into day two here's what we have so far:

Memory Man, by David Baldacci
Time of Death, by Mark Billingham
You Will Never Find Me, by Robert Wilson
Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales, by Randy Singer
The Girl on the Train, by Paula Hawkins
The Butcher's Boy, by Thomas Perry
From Doon With Death, by Ruth Rendell
River of Darkness, by Rennie Airth
Bootlegger's Daughter, by Margaret Maron
The Prince: A Novel, by Vito Bruschini
The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line, by Rob Thomas
Twisted, by Andrew Kaufman

message 34: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nadia wrote: "The Dark by James Herbert"

Nadia, I'm removing The Dark from consideration, because it is a horror novel, not mystery/crime/thriller material. Sorry.

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jejul) | 3 comments Until Murder Do Us Part by Treg JulanderUntil Murder Do Us Part

message 38: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 365 comments Philip wrote: "Sherrie wrote: "I nominate The Girl on the Train"

I heard a lot of buzz about this for the latter half of last year. I just know because of that if I pick it up then it's either go..."

Only one way to find out!:) I think it's a fait accompli. 140K reviews for a book that was released in January! That is what interests me.

message 39: by Maria (new)

Maria Riegger | 13 comments Cheryl wrote: "I would like to nominate "Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales" by Randy Singer
Dead Lawyers Tell No Tales"

Thanks for the recommendation! I added this to my Want to Read list!

message 40: by Lorie52 (new)

Lorie52 | 1 comments Katya wrote: "I second the Girl on the Train. sounds interesting )"

I've read this one and loved it. A great read for people who like interesting and unusual characters with their mysteries. I was charmed :)

message 41: by Scott (new)

Scott Ivlow (scottinwinterhaven) | 208 comments My only concern about voting for Girl On The Train this soon is that group members that don't want to buy it are going to have a hard time checking it out at their library. I know that our library with the popularity of the book there is a waiting list for it. I've never seen on Winter Haven's New Book Shelf.

message 42: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 977 comments Scott wrote: "My only concern about voting for Girl On The Train this soon is that group members that don't want to buy it are going to have a hard time checking it out at their library. I know that our library ..."

That's a valid concern but doesn't the voting take that into consideration? Most people won't vote for a book that is more expensive than they are willing to pay for.

message 43: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5415 comments Mod
Tom wrote: "Scott wrote: "My only concern about voting for Girl On The Train this soon is that group members that don't want to buy it are going to have a hard time checking it out at their library. I know tha..."

You're probably right Tom. The only time I hesitate to add a book to a poll is if it's not available in more than one format. Having said that, people won't vote for a book they can't get.

message 44: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments There are always great sounding books in the line up, but I wish that everyone would put in a little bit of why they nominated the book? I end up going with what I know, and I don't have time to investigate the others.

Just a thought to consider! Thank you!

(I enjoyed Girl on a Train a great deal and it certainly has a great deal of 'talk'. And I always enjoy a good Baldacci. ;-)

message 45: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

M. wrote: "There are always great sounding books in the line up, but I wish that everyone would put in a little bit of why they nominated the book? I end up going with what I know, and I don't have time to in..."

So if a novel isn't currently or recently popular, or if the author is relatively unknown you won't give it a try? Sometimes experimenting or going outside the familiar pays off.

message 46: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 977 comments Nancy wrote: "So if a novel isn't currently or recently popular, or if the author is relatively unknown you won't give it a try? Sometimes experimenting or going outside the familiar pays off.
."

Actually, that is exactly why what M said makes sense. If a book is not commonly known, it behooves the person nominating it to offer a brief summary or at least some reason why other readers should vote for it.

message 47: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Or he/she could click on the title link.

message 48: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5415 comments Mod
Either seems fine to me.. :)

message 49: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I think some people do write a little something now and then but I'm with you, Bill. The link takes you right to a small summary, so that can be just as good.

message 50: by M. (new)

M. Dobson (meg_evonne) | 109 comments Links are great! And actually, I think a Ruth Rendell would be a lovely tribute.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.