2015 Reading Challenge [Closed] discussion

The Children of Húrin
This topic is about The Children of Húrin
. Week 16: Favorite Author > The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Angela (parasolofdoom) Started last night, about halfway through. Really loving it! It's more readable than Silm (though I love that one too, it's just slower).

Angela (parasolofdoom) I finished day before yesterday. Really loved it but it started to drag in the last couple chapters so it gets 4 stars instead of 5.

message 3: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) I've never heard of J.R.R. Tolkien having another book! Interesting...

Angela (parasolofdoom) It was edited by his son, I gather it was pieced together from some early writings and takes place looong before the events of LotR :).

message 5: by Sophie (last edited May 11, 2015 06:03AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sophie (sawphie) A friend gave it to me when it went out, but I don't keep a very good memory ofthis book. If I remember correctly, I found that it had the same "slowness" as Silm, but less interesting. And the foot notes drove me crazy! That's why I would never be able to read the Lost Tales.

I'm glad you liked it, though, it is always pleasant to come back to Tolkien's world.

Angela (parasolofdoom) There weren't any footnotes in my copy but I rather like them in general -- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is one of my favorite books :).